Jump to content
IGNORED

If I Owned the Redskins...


Piz
 Share

Recommended Posts

I would replace the native American, on the helmet, with a potato.  Problem solved.  Who doesn't like red-skinned potatoes?  Who could possibly find that offensive?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to If I Owned the Redskins...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Shindig said:

I think everyone who knows the origin of why that potato is there would be offended -- the purpose of changing the name isn't to make something innocuous out of the same name. 

Like Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Like Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A?

I agree, and I don't think they achieved their stated goal as well as they may think they did.   And I think they were more genuine in their desire to be less offensive (for non-commercial reasons) than Snyder and the NFL are.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
4 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Like Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A?

The problem with Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A is that there is a Black woman who has been singing in Seattle under that name for over 20 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unfortunately, it is impossible for the Washington NFL franchise to change its name to something that isn't extraordinarily lame. Every good sports-team nickname has been taken several times now.

Besides what is Washington D.C. known for besides politicians? Call em the Swamp Rats. ... Guess you could get a whole bunch of bad extermination jokes off that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Unfortunately, it is impossible for the Washington NFL franchise to change its name to something that isn't extraordinarily lame. Every good sports-team nickname has been taken several times now.

Besides what is Washington D.C. known for besides politicians? Call em the Swamp Rats. ... Guess you could get a whole bunch of bad extermination jokes off that.

There are lots of scary animals that, for whatever reason, don't seem to show up as sports teams names.  Ringworm is the obvious example.

DC Defenders is a great name for a professional football team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

There are lots of scary animals that, for whatever reason, don't seem to show up as sports teams names.  Ringworm is the obvious example.

DC Defenders is a great name for a professional football team.

Isn't DC Defenders what they called that XFL team they had briefly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Isn't DC Defenders what they called that XFL team they had briefly.

Even better, so you don't denigrate either side of the line, would be DC Offensive Defenders.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Isn't DC Defenders what they called that XFL team they had briefly.

Yes, that's why I said it's a great name for a team.

That beersnake was a thing of beauty :-( 

For those who missed it:

 

 

Edited by Shindig
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, billchao said:

The problem with Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A is that there is a Black woman who has been singing in Seattle under that name for over 20 years.

Yeah, I saw that, but that's a separate issue.  "We want to change our name to Lady A."  "Ok, what's the A stand for?" "Umm, nothing?"  "But you used to be Lady Antebellum.  So isn't that what it stands for?" "Well kind of, but not really.  So yeah, no."

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Even better, so you don't denigrate either side of the line, would be DC Offensive Defenders.

It sings, mostly because they're changing their name because it's offensive.  And now they're changing it as a defensive maneuver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

It sings, mostly because they're changing their name because it's offensive.  And now they're changing it as a defensive maneuver.

Missouri Swede... are you missing the Rams in St. Louis?  Or maybe you're a Chiefs fan.  Nothing problematic about "Rams" except when they were in St. Louis there wasn't a ram within 1000 miles!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Missouri Swede... are you missing the Rams in St. Louis?  Or maybe you're a Chiefs fan.  Nothing problematic about "Rams" except when they were in St. Louis there wasn't a ram within 1000 miles!

Cleveland, where they were at some point in their history, is within 1000 miles.  I haven't been to Ohio so I don't know if they have Rams in Cleveland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

Cleveland, where they were at some point in their history, is within 1000 miles.  I haven't been to Ohio so I don't know if they have Rams in Cleveland.

I'm thinking the western slopes of the Rockies in Colorado.  Maybe there are rams in Shaker Heights???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • My home course has a few drainage “channels” that are shaped into certain fairways that I suppose are intended to capture and then divert water elsewhere. Maybe a foot wide and 3-4 inches deep, but definitely part of the fairway. They’re not French drains or depressions from some subterranean drainage system. Just an unlucky spot for your ball to stop. Unless there is standing water in them, I’ve always just attempted to play the ball out, which can be a challenge. 
    • These things have perfectly good grass in them. The grass is cut to the same length and there is no stones under the grass. There is no mention of them on the score card. I think my friend has it wrong. Thanks for the replies. 
    • You can't just make up whatever Local Rules you want. They're not allowed under the Rules of Golf. So, I'm asking you to do a little work instead of just guessing at what may be possible here. This is the Rules of Golf forum. Let's post knowledgeable answers, not "my guess is…" answers. So, what local rule or regular rule do you think might allow relief from a drainage "depression"? Particularly given that a "drainage ditch" is included in the definition for "penalty area." Does a drainage ditch meet any of these for an ACC? Abnormal Course Condition Any of these four defined conditions: Animal Hole, Ground Under Repair, Immovable Obstruction, or Temporary Water. It also doesn't sound like Model Local Rule F-20 applies: Model Local Rule F-20 “Drainage channels that are made of artificial materials and run next to cart paths are treated as immovable obstructions in the general area and are part of the cart path. A player may take free relief under Rule 16.1b.
    • This sounds like a French drain. If the rocks that are part of its construction are visible  (meaning the sod on top of it is gone), it is a free drop as a man made object, just like a cart path. If there is grass on top, even though it's a visible depression, I don't think it can be a free drop, unless the course has a local rule allowing that.
    • You said "Local rules can't be whatever you want them to be".  I'm not following you... If you are referring to the very first post in this thread then I am in agreement. The friend can't just make up his own rules.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. drink water
      drink water
      (32 years old)
    2. SCOTTYCA
      SCOTTYCA
      (63 years old)
    3. ShawnFenton
      ShawnFenton
      (43 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...