IGNORED

If I Owned the Redskins...

Piz

I would replace the native American, on the helmet, with a potato.  Problem solved.  Who doesn't like red-skinned potatoes?  Who could possibly find that offensive?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to If I Owned the Redskins...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Shindig said:

I think everyone who knows the origin of why that potato is there would be offended -- the purpose of changing the name isn't to make something innocuous out of the same name. 

Like Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A?

8 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I agree, and I don't think they achieved their stated goal as well as they may think they did.   And I think they were more genuine in their desire to be less offensive (for non-commercial reasons) than Snyder and the NFL are.  

4 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

The problem with Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A is that there is a Black woman who has been singing in Seattle under that name for over 20 years.

Unfortunately, it is impossible for the Washington NFL franchise to change its name to something that isn't extraordinarily lame. Every good sports-team nickname has been taken several times now.

Besides what is Washington D.C. known for besides politicians? Call em the Swamp Rats. ... Guess you could get a whole bunch of bad extermination jokes off that.

27 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Unfortunately, it is impossible for the Washington NFL franchise to change its name to something that isn't extraordinarily lame. Every good sports-team nickname has been taken several times now.

Besides what is Washington D.C. known for besides politicians? Call em the Swamp Rats. ... Guess you could get a whole bunch of bad extermination jokes off that.

There are lots of scary animals that, for whatever reason, don't seem to show up as sports teams names.  Ringworm is the obvious example.

DC Defenders is a great name for a professional football team.

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

There are lots of scary animals that, for whatever reason, don't seem to show up as sports teams names.  Ringworm is the obvious example.

DC Defenders is a great name for a professional football team.

Isn't DC Defenders what they called that XFL team they had briefly.

12 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Even better, so you don't denigrate either side of the line, would be DC Offensive Defenders.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

27 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Yes, that's why I said it's a great name for a team.

That beersnake was a thing of beauty :-( 

For those who missed it:

Edited by Shindig

3 hours ago, billchao said:

The problem with Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A is that there is a Black woman who has been singing in Seattle under that name for over 20 years.

Yeah, I saw that, but that's a separate issue.  "We want to change our name to Lady A."  "Ok, what's the A stand for?" "Umm, nothing?"  "But you used to be Lady Antebellum.  So isn't that what it stands for?" "Well kind of, but not really.  So yeah, no."

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Even better, so you don't denigrate either side of the line, would be DC Offensive Defenders.

It sings, mostly because they're changing their name because it's offensive.  And now they're changing it as a defensive maneuver.

3 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

It sings, mostly because they're changing their name because it's offensive.  And now they're changing it as a defensive maneuver.

Missouri Swede... are you missing the Rams in St. Louis?  Or maybe you're a Chiefs fan.  Nothing problematic about "Rams" except when they were in St. Louis there wasn't a ram within 1000 miles!

25 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Missouri Swede... are you missing the Rams in St. Louis?  Or maybe you're a Chiefs fan.  Nothing problematic about "Rams" except when they were in St. Louis there wasn't a ram within 1000 miles!

Cleveland, where they were at some point in their history, is within 1000 miles.  I haven't been to Ohio so I don't know if they have Rams in Cleveland.

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

Cleveland, where they were at some point in their history, is within 1000 miles.  I haven't been to Ohio so I don't know if they have Rams in Cleveland.

I'm thinking the western slopes of the Rockies in Colorado.  Maybe there are rams in Shaker Heights???