IGNORED

If I Owned the Redskins...

Piz
Note: This thread is 1350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would replace the native American, on the helmet, with a potato.  Problem solved.  Who doesn't like red-skinned potatoes?  Who could possibly find that offensive?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to If I Owned the Redskins...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

Irish people.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think everyone who knows the origin of why that potato is there would be offended -- the purpose of changing the name isn't to make something innocuous out of the same name. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

15 hours ago, Shindig said:

I think everyone who knows the origin of why that potato is there would be offended -- the purpose of changing the name isn't to make something innocuous out of the same name. 

Like Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

8 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I agree, and I don't think they achieved their stated goal as well as they may think they did.   And I think they were more genuine in their desire to be less offensive (for non-commercial reasons) than Snyder and the NFL are.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

The problem with Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A is that there is a Black woman who has been singing in Seattle under that name for over 20 years.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Unfortunately, it is impossible for the Washington NFL franchise to change its name to something that isn't extraordinarily lame. Every good sports-team nickname has been taken several times now.

Besides what is Washington D.C. known for besides politicians? Call em the Swamp Rats. ... Guess you could get a whole bunch of bad extermination jokes off that.

27 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Unfortunately, it is impossible for the Washington NFL franchise to change its name to something that isn't extraordinarily lame. Every good sports-team nickname has been taken several times now.

Besides what is Washington D.C. known for besides politicians? Call em the Swamp Rats. ... Guess you could get a whole bunch of bad extermination jokes off that.

There are lots of scary animals that, for whatever reason, don't seem to show up as sports teams names.  Ringworm is the obvious example.

DC Defenders is a great name for a professional football team.

-- Michael | My swing! 

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

There are lots of scary animals that, for whatever reason, don't seem to show up as sports teams names.  Ringworm is the obvious example.

DC Defenders is a great name for a professional football team.

Isn't DC Defenders what they called that XFL team they had briefly.

12 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Even better, so you don't denigrate either side of the line, would be DC Offensive Defenders.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

27 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Yes, that's why I said it's a great name for a team.

That beersnake was a thing of beauty :-( 

For those who missed it:

Edited by Shindig

-- Michael | My swing! 

3 hours ago, billchao said:

The problem with Lady Antebellum changing to Lady A is that there is a Black woman who has been singing in Seattle under that name for over 20 years.

Yeah, I saw that, but that's a separate issue.  "We want to change our name to Lady A."  "Ok, what's the A stand for?" "Umm, nothing?"  "But you used to be Lady Antebellum.  So isn't that what it stands for?" "Well kind of, but not really.  So yeah, no."

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Even better, so you don't denigrate either side of the line, would be DC Offensive Defenders.

It sings, mostly because they're changing their name because it's offensive.  And now they're changing it as a defensive maneuver.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

3 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

It sings, mostly because they're changing their name because it's offensive.  And now they're changing it as a defensive maneuver.

Missouri Swede... are you missing the Rams in St. Louis?  Or maybe you're a Chiefs fan.  Nothing problematic about "Rams" except when they were in St. Louis there wasn't a ram within 1000 miles!

25 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Missouri Swede... are you missing the Rams in St. Louis?  Or maybe you're a Chiefs fan.  Nothing problematic about "Rams" except when they were in St. Louis there wasn't a ram within 1000 miles!

Cleveland, where they were at some point in their history, is within 1000 miles.  I haven't been to Ohio so I don't know if they have Rams in Cleveland.

-- Michael | My swing! 

The best one I’ve heard so far is the Washington D.C. Unindictable Co-conspirators. Kind of fits for the city.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

Cleveland, where they were at some point in their history, is within 1000 miles.  I haven't been to Ohio so I don't know if they have Rams in Cleveland.

I'm thinking the western slopes of the Rockies in Colorado.  Maybe there are rams in Shaker Heights???

Note: This thread is 1350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!