IGNORED

Can Tony Finau Be Longer Than DeChambeau?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't think I saw Finau yesterday take the extra long swing I've seen in his Instagram videos where he is going all out. Will be interesting to see if he takes that swing to tournaments. I guess he also has the option of hitting the weights as well. Now I'm curious to watch his appearances on Big Break.

Finau, however, believes he’s longer.

So does at least one of Finau’s tour brethren.

“Tony Finau is the longest one out here by far,” said Cameron Champ, who’s second to DeChambeau in driving distance this year.

Finau is just 19th in the Tour’s official driving distance, but, as Champ said Friday, Finau rarely ever goes at the ball full bore, something Finau acknowledges.

“I think if we were all to maybe tee up four or five golf balls on the range and just let loose, I have a hard time believing somebody is going to hit it farther than I am,” Finau said this week. “Just because I've always kind of had that speed.”

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgolf-brightspot.s3.ama

Sunday’s final round offers a matchup for the ages in golf’s power focused era.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I remember reading when Finau went with a full swing, his ball speed was 206.  Bryson is around 203 maybe??

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

1 hour ago, TN94z said:

I think I remember reading when Finau went with a full swing, his ball speed was 206.  Bryson is around 203 maybe??

It's hard to compare apples to apples. IIRC, in one Instagram video, the machine was a Foresight and on another it was Trackman? Guessing Bryson it was a Trackman? The only way to really tell is to get them together, have them tee it up I dunno, 15 times, say hit it as hard as you can and see what happens?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

tony-finau-bryson-dechambeau.jpg

Who is the longest driver in golf? It’s Bryson DeChambeau, right? Well, maybe not. Here’s who some of the...

The consensus among some tour players seems to be that Tony Finau has a lot more in the tank than Bryson does.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

tony-finau-bryson-dechambeau.jpg

Who is the longest driver in golf? It’s Bryson DeChambeau, right? Well, maybe not. Here’s who some of the...

The consensus among some tour players seems to be that Tony Finau has a lot more in the tank than Bryson does.

I would pay handsomely for like a Chambeau, Champ, Finau face off.

• Like 1

Steve

Finau sure makes it look a lot easier and natural. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I would pay handsomely for like a Chambeau, Champ, Finau face off.

Would you? Why?

Hell, @saevel25 topped 130 MPH clubhead speed a few years ago. At 1.5 smash that's 195 MPH ball speed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Would you? Why?

Hell, @saevel25 topped 130 MPH clubhead speed a few years ago. At 1.5 smash that's 195 MPH ball speed.

I think @nevets88 forgot there's an entire subset of golf that focuses primarily on swinging fast and hitting the ball far and that they have their own professional tour ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I don't think it's really a relavent question. Maybe he can, but the fact is he doesn't, and I personally don't think he will ever take full distance swings in PGA events. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

30 minutes ago, billchao said:

I think @nevets88 forgot there's an entire subset of golf that focuses primarily on swinging fast and hitting the ball far and that they have their own professional tour ;-)

Ha ha. Fair enough. 😀

Steve

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

It's hard to compare apples to apples. IIRC, in one Instagram video, the machine was a Foresight and on another it was Trackman? Guessing Bryson it was a Trackman? The only way to really tell is to get them together, have them tee it up I dunno, 15 times, say hit it as hard as you can and see what happens?

You can compare.  Both machines measure ball speed pretty much spot on.  Where they differ (in terms of directly measured data points) is on club head speed because I think they may measure at different points in the swing.

23 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I can agree with that. I just feel like it is more forced with Bryson. Finau looks more relaxed and in control. I just brought up the numbers because Bryson getting over 200 was all the talk not long ago.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

21 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Maybe he can, but the fact is he doesn't, and I personally don't think he will ever take full distance swings in PGA events. 

I think he will, Finau and his coach just talked on their podcast on July 31st about how their plan is that he is now starting to train more speed in practice with the goal to take more fuller swings and let some go when the hole presents him with the opportunity to do so in tournaments.

And Finau also made it very clear in that episode that he wanted to be the first guy to have a 200mph ball speed in a tournament on the PGA tour. 

In case anyone is interested, his podcast is called "Let's Get It" and the episode is called "Pushing the Limits of Ball Speed on TOUR"

On 8/10/2020 at 5:34 PM, nevets88 said:

I'm pretty sure Bryson uses FlightScope and I'm pretty sure he is sponsored by them as he has appeared in Mevo commercials for them too.

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 minute ago, klineka said:

I think he will, Finau and his coach just talked on their podcast on July 31st about how their plan is that he is now starting to train more speed in practice with the goal to take more fuller swings and let some go when the hole presents him with the opportunity to do so in tournaments.

And Finau also made it very clear in that episode that he wanted to be the first guy to have a 200mph ball speed in a tournament on the PGA tour. 

In case anyone is interested, his podcast is called "Let's Get It" and the episode is called "Pushing the Limits of Ball Speed on TOUR"

Thanks for the info. I think that BDC is showing how valuable distance can be with everything he has done since the restart. Unfortunately, I don't know if distance will help TF win, because he is already fairly long and already at the top quite often, but doesn't seem to be able to finish. The heartbreak at the Waste Management was pretty much enough for me to write him off as being a winner until he proves otherwise. Obviously he is making a boatload of money, but if he doesn't start winning, he will just be another name that falls into the abyss.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, klineka said:

I'm pretty sure Bryson uses FlightScope and I'm pretty sure he is sponsored by them as he has appeared in Mevo commercials for them too.

Doh, you're right, I totally forgot.

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

I can agree with that. I just feel like it is more forced with Bryson. Finau looks more relaxed and in control. I just brought up the numbers because Bryson getting over 200 was all the talk not long ago.

Yeah, it's like Nadal vs Federer. Like the No Laying Up guys said about Champ. Finau looks like he has more in the tank.

Steve

On 8/10/2020 at 7:08 PM, iacas said:

Time to break out the Mevo and ruin my golf swing 😉

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It makes me wonder if putting on weight was necessary for Bryson to get longer? Could he have made all these distance gains with just speed training?

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!