IGNORED

Nerves While Putting

You can think about making the putt...or worry about missing it.  Guess which option is more beneficial in the long run.

• Like 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

@GolfLug and @Piz, it doesn’t work like that.

I don’t think a book needs to be written about this, though. Change your grip. Change your eye focus - look at a spot ahead of the ball or something. Experiment. The end.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don’t think a book needs to be written about this, though. Change your grip. Change your eye focus - look at a spot ahead of the ball or something. Experiment. The end.

I agree...but a lack of confidence, or intent, can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

I am no scientist but IMHO yips are similar to a beginner skier going down a steeper slope than what their comfort level is. It is not a condition as much as it is a phenomenon. Combination of panic and indecision. I can't simply tell myself to not care as much as I care.

There is no 'mental solution'. You just have to find a comfort level by practicing the shit out of it. If you can make a full swing without hitching you can putt too. 

The yips are an actual condition, not just a mental hurdle. It’s just that most people who say they have the yips don’t really have them, but use it as a generic term that means they suck at putting.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

The yips are an actual condition, not just a mental hurdle. It’s just that most people who say they have the yips don’t really have them, but use it as a generic term that means they suck at putting.

So they have the SAPs then. 😜

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

So they have the SAPs then. 😜

I certainly feel like a sap when I’m putting sometimes.

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Maybe yipper’s should go side saddle or use a wedge instead.    Just change it all up. 😁

I’ve always enjoyed using the TPM aid. Pushes you towards a fluid motion. I also wonder if making more putting games on the practice greens would help.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

Maybe yipper’s should go side saddle or use a wedge instead.    Just change it all up. 😁

You joke BUT...

I don’t think I ever had the “yips,”but I actually played around with Side saddle putting for 6-8months...my distance control was better, but was awkward enough with not a great deal of reward so I abandoned it.  

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

6 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

You joke BUT...

I don’t think I ever had the “yips,”but I actually played around with Side saddle putting for 6-8months...my distance control was better, but was awkward enough with not a great deal of reward so I abandoned it.  

I had thought about going side saddle in the past, but to do it right I needed a new putter and I wasn’t going spend $300 on an experiment.

But like everything else, it’s a skill that requires practice.

Bill

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

I had thought about going side saddle in the past, but to do it right I needed a new putter and I wasn’t going spend $300 on an experiment.

But like everything else, it’s a skill that requires practice.

After watching 7 days in Utopia 🙄, I bought an Odyssey 2ball long putter on clearance for $80...I figured it was worth the shot 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I guess to me yips is when you make a tight nervy stroke accelerating through the ball. It starts with a few bad rounds and then you start hyper-focussing to make things worse. At some point it spirals out to a point where even the thought of standing over a 4 footer induces terror. Ernie Els' 6 putt comes to mind. 

4 hours ago, billchao said:

The yips are an actual condition, not just a mental hurdle. 

Like a medical condition? Hmm. Will have to think about it.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Certainly agree with the solution. To be clear, I never thought I had yips. I have posted in another putting thread that you gotta shake it up physically. You nailed it when you told me to stop accelerating. 

Maybe @billchaois right. I don't understand what real yips is.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

I always did pretty darn well putting until I got into a best ball or scramble, when I felt pressured to perform for others. Odd it never affected the other parts of my game. My one buddy told me at a the fourth hole during a big time scramble by an auto manufacturers engineering corps:  "I asked you here for your driver and irons, just putt first and give us a read".  They didn't need to putt 6 of the holes coming in. He was also a great personnel manager.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

I don't understand what real yips is.

I don’t think you do. It’s involuntary. You can feel good about the putt you’re about to hit.

Dave (Wedzik) once three- or four-putted from like two feet. He went to tap it in and then four putts later he was done.

He shot 70 that day.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 months later...
On 11/26/2020 at 2:42 PM, iacas said:

I don’t think you do. It’s involuntary. You can feel good about the putt you’re about to hit.

Agree 100% and then some!  The yips are completely involuntary and can appear completely out of the blue (like topped shots and hosel rockets on the PGA Tour, i.e., 2021 Players!)  I experienced a "wiggles" version of the yips on a golf trip with my son when I had recently been putting exceptionally well.  Because of this trauma I learned how to putt lead hand low and was not only putting so much better, but believed I had cured this ailment and would NEVER have to worry again.  Unfortunately, while practicing this fool-proof lead hand low technique with 14 foot putts during Dec/Jan the "wiggles" mysteriously returned...It was just basement practice (low care/stress) and I absolutely believed I would make a great putt, but then BAM!!!  Time to guess which direction the ball is going to go...

I convince my mind it's just a game. I the scheme of things, there are so many more important things in life to concern yourself with.         "Just do it!"

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

• Administrator

You have to "convince" yourself that the game is just a game? :hmm:

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

You have to "convince" yourself that the game is just a game? :hmm:

Absolutely, because some think is more important than anything else in life. It's just a game for most, unless it's your livelihood like a pga pro. Even then I would incorporate the same thought process. It's like you could either make golf a lion that could consume you, or you could make it a house cat that you could boot out the door. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080