IGNORED

New Putter Fitting - Club Champion or Edel?

Big C
Note: This thread is 1340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After 15 years of gaming mostly second hand clubs, I am finally prepared to make a modest investment in some new equipment. I plan to start with the putter. 

Based on some feedback from members here, I was leaning towards Edel, but I have heard great things about Club Champion as well.

My understanding is that Edel's fitting process is free if you end up purchasing one of their putters. Club Champion charges $100 for a putter fitting regardless of whether you purchase or not. 

Club Champion does carry Edel, as well as all the other major brands. Long story short, if I end up getting fitted into an Edel putter by Club Champion, it will cost me an extra $100. But there is a reasonable possibility that Club Champion would recommend something different that suits my eye better. 

Is it worth it to take the plunge with Edel or should I spend the extra $100 to keep my options open through Club Champion. Thoughts appreciated.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually advocate going into a store, trying stuff out on the simulator, and then going on ebay or somewhere to buy the clubs you liked.  That's worked for me.

I got an Edel fitted over five years ago at UGP, which has two locations equidistant from you (one near John Wayne airport, the other just outside of Santa Monica).  I'm very happy with it.  I believe they did charge for the fitting, but I might be confusing this instance with something else.

I'd offer to let you try mine, and you're welcome to if/when we run into each other next, but that would probably defeat the point of a fitted putter. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

I usually advocate going into a store, trying stuff out on the simulator, and then going on ebay or somewhere to buy the clubs you liked.  That's worked for me.

That doesn't work well at all for a putter.

Look, before when they still had the Classic Series, I'd have said just go the Edel route and you'll be fine, because they can basically build any putter you could want. By that I mean they can fine-tune so much I'm positive you'd find something you can aim and something with which you can control distance.

But now they greatly reduced the number of unique configurations they can build, and I haven't seen the plates they now use for alignment lines in person to know if they look good or not, but I'd still lean toward going the Edel route if you like the look of the putters they have. They still have more "numbers" of what they can build for you, while if you go with TaylorMade or something you'll probably be more limited. Obviously CC will be able to do a bunch of manufacturers.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Over the years I have accumulated several putters. I would say roughly 100 or so. I have been doint this for 40 years or so.I love putting, and I will never be satisified with the way I putt. When I started golfing, the Ping Anser was the premere featuring a whooping price tag of 20 bucks ONLY to those who could afford it. Most expensive putter out there it was. I do not mess with getting fitted, basically because when you are out on the course playing, things change. You normally do not have the putting conditions that you had in the shop getting fitted. Out on the course I have discovered that if the ball is slightly above your feet, you have a tendacy to play more right to left,(if you are right handed). The opposite if the ball is below your feel. I like to experiment with putters ranging from 32 inches, to 38.

One drill I use to see if I am striking the ball on a "close to straight line", is to find a putt on the practice green that you know is quite straight. Make it roughly a 15 foot putt. Then hit the ball firmly at the hole to get it pass the hole by lets say 7 or 8 foot. If I run the ball directly over the hole I feel that my setup if fairly good. If you are left or right of this, I will usually look for another putter.

Getting fitted will cost you big bucks. The one thing that you will come away with is the knowing in your head that you are fitted with the EXACT putter that you need. This is called confidence, and is a huge part of putting. Your worst enemy is that 7 inches between your ears. Once you have missed, or made a few putts lets say within 5 foot usually dictates the direction you will be heading during the round.

Yes, I have good days and bad days putting. It is not usually decided by the way I am putting, but more by the types of putts I experience. But we all know that once you miss a putt, we normally try harder to make them. That usually leads to more missed putts.

We are always going to miss putts. The secret here to good putting is to keep the percantages of your misses as low as you possibly can...

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, golfer2b2000 said:

Getting fitted will cost you big bucks.

It's gonna cost you less than buying 100 putters.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I guess that all depends on how much those putters cost you. You probably do not know of those days when a 20 dollar putter was the elite!

I am not knocking getting fitted at all. Good putting is more than getting fitted. It's confidence!! If you get fitted, pay 300 bucks or so for a putter, get out to the course and start making a few 3 or 5 footers, you feel that it is money well spent, and it is. But as soon as you miss a couple, or few, the game changes, and this will happen to you...Your mind will dictate how you play.

When I am over a three footer needing it for a birdie, or most deserved par I DO NOT think of missing it. I am thinking about making it. There is a big difference.

I am now 66 years old, and this thought patters I still use.

53 minutes ago, golfer2b2000 said:

The secret here to good putting is to keep the percantages of your misses as low as you possibly can...

So the secret to good putting is to hole more putts.

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 hour ago, golfer2b2000 said:

I guess that all depends on how much those putters cost you. You probably do not know of those days when a 20 dollar putter was the elite!

I am not knocking getting fitted at all. Good putting is more than getting fitted. It's confidence!! If you get fitted, pay 300 bucks or so for a putter, get out to the course and start making a few 3 or 5 footers, you feel that it is money well spent, and it is. But as soon as you miss a couple, or few, the game changes, and this will happen to you...Your mind will dictate how you play.

When I am over a three footer needing it for a birdie, or most deserved par I DO NOT think of missing it. I am thinking about making it. There is a big difference.

I am now 66 years old, and this thought patters I still use.

Confidence comes from knowing that you're actually aiming the putter where you think you've aimed it. You have 100 putters and yet you have no proven clue where they actually line up.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

27 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Confidence comes from knowing that you're actually aiming the putter where you think you've aimed it. You have 100 putters and yet you have no proven clue where they actually line up.

Having 100 putters, and probably more comes from just liking to try different shapes and configurations. Has nothing to do with finding one that works like you think.

And confidence does not come from thinking you are lined up on the proper line. It comes from making them. Thinking you are on the proper line, and yet you still miss them, only creates doubt in your mind.

Anybody making a 30 foot putt lets say, is strictly luck. But constantly getting those putts close takes skill. There is not a pro out there that would not agree.

I myself feel that I am not a great putter, but I am not a bad one either.On the courses I am able to play, I rarely three putt. I am usually able to nestle them close enough to make an easy par though. I try to create oppertunities. The more chances, the better my odds. I practice putting probably 75% of my practice time. And 75% of that putting practice time is spent in 5 foot and less.I dont do this because I am not profeciant at the flat stick. I do this because this is where good scores are created.

Try it sometime...

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, golfer2b2000 said:

And confidence does not come from thinking you are lined up on the proper line.

I disagree.

There’s plenty of confidence to be had knowing you’re aimed where you think you’re aimed.

16 minutes ago, golfer2b2000 said:

I practice putting probably 75% of my practice time.

I’m glad you like putting but that’s nuts if you’re trying to play well overall.

16 minutes ago, golfer2b2000 said:

I do this because this is where good scores are created.

No, it’s not.

We can disagree on opinions but that kind of stuff isn’t an opinion.

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

So the secret to good putting is to hole more putts.

For myself, on the start of my round,if I am able to hole the first two or three putts from lets just say five foot and in, usually puts my head in a good place. A lot better than if I would have missed them. But one thing that I do know I do. If I miss a short one, I forget about it as soon as I can. After the round you can dwell on it if you like. But thinking about it three holes down the road only leads you to worse things.

Oh yeah, there is no such thing as a secret to good putting..LOL

7 minutes ago, golfer2b2000 said:

I practice putting probably 75% of my practice time. And 75% of that putting practice time is spent in 5 foot and less.I dont do this because I am not profeciant at the flat stick. I do this because this is where good scores are created.

Try it sometime...

I practice putting maybe once every 2 weeks, and for 2-3 minutes before I tee off. I’m not a great player, but I rarely 3-putt, and I don’t think I’m losing strokes compared to my handicap level with my putting.

I had a putting lesson 2 months ago and turns out my aim was high and right. Teacher corrected my setup / posture and now I know I’m aiming at my intended target. I’m getting fitted for a putter this year so my putter matches my posture / setup / stroke. That will give me confidence. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

2 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I practice putting maybe once every 2 weeks, and for 2-3 minutes before I tee off. I’m not a great player, but I rarely 3-putt, and I don’t think I’m losing strokes compared to my handicap level with my putting.

I had a putting lesson 2 months ago and turns out my aim was high and right. Teacher corrected my setup / posture and now I know I’m aiming at my intended target. I’m getting fitted for a putter this year so my putter matches my posture / setup / stroke. That will give me confidence. 

Agreed indeed!!

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

I disagree.

There’s plenty of confidence to be had knowing you’re aimed where you think you’re aimed.

I’m glad you like putting but that’s nuts if you’re trying to play well overall.

No, it’s not.

We can disagree on opinions but that kind of stuff isn’t an opinion.

Sir,

No matter what I say you usually disagree with it. But I have not a problem with that. I know that the people that are quite good at this game, are usually very good at putting. I will not change my ways and thoughts on practicing with the flat stick. 

You are very argumentative, very opinionated, and I like that...

I also know that you are in the Lake Chataqua golf area. I love that course. I am halfway between Erie and Pittsburgh.

It would be a pleasure to play a round with someone like yourself. Maybe you could show me a thing or two...(or vice versa.LOL)😉

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, golfer2b2000 said:

I know that the people that are quite good at this game, are usually very good at putting. I will not change my ways and thoughts on practicing with the flat stick.

Putting is not what makes a good player good. This is not an opinion. I disagree with your sweeping statement about where people derive confidence, and am telling you that you’re wrong about what makes good players good.

Lot of topics here about that, and a very well sold book too.

And I live in Erie.

I've had two rounds recently that I have five birdies in each round. My birdies were a result of great ball striking. I might be a slightly better than average putter, but I'm a lot better when I hit it close to the hole. I know I'm going to score a lot better if I rely on my ball striking rather than my putting. Once in a while, you might be able to rescue a score with great putting, but the most consistent players I've played with are much better ball strikers than they are putters.

• Like 2

Note: This thread is 1340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!