IGNORED

Utility Wood, Anyone Use One?

As I get older, (I'm 69 now), my game has fallen off. Also I player fewer rounds, maybe one a week but I do try to get to the range. Anyway I have found that I have been having trouble with my long irons. A guy i play with in the league uses a set of woods instead of irons, I think he carries up to an 11W but he plays well. I use a Driver, 3W, 5W and a 7W, I'm thinking of getting a 9W, anyone play that club?

The only place I have seen them is at PineMeadow golf, they are under $100.00.  Has anyone purchased from there?

I ma working on resolving my issues with my irons but so far it has been very frustrating. But I hit my wood really well, go figure.

Any thought of trying a hybrid?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/31/2020 at 10:11 PM, jamo said:

Any thought of trying a hybrid?

I have a number of hybrids which I am better with then my long irons but given how well I hit my woods I figured I would consider a 9W given how well my friend hits his, we'll see.

I carried a 9 wood many years ago; but replaced it with a hybrid.  It was a pretty good club provided there wasn't much wind.  Might have to pack it along next time I go to the range.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

A good friend of mine, who has 10 yrs on you, plays woods all the way through to 11wood.  He loves them and is always center of fairway.  One of the best driver off the deck guys I've ever seen.  To answer your question - get one (either new from Pinemeadow) or maybe used from somewhere like the 'bay and try it.  It may give you the accuracy and distance you are seeking.  In reality, it is about what works for you.  Another possible source is Thomas Golf and their AT190 Fairway woods - no affiliation, no experience with them - for $119. 

Edited by WillieT

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I bought two pinemeadow clubs.  3H and 4H.  They are both heavy.  The 4H, I continue to like, though I am not great at determining quality.  The 3H broke in less than a year. Split at the hozel.

Some dude gave me an ancient 7W a long time ago and I never have given it a fair day in court. Now that the fair-weather types are mostly off the course, I'll get out there by myself and give it a whack or two.

Edited by mcanadiens

On 11/2/2020 at 12:35 PM, Cantankerish said:

I bought two pinemeadow clubs.  3H and 4H.  They are both heavy.  The 4H, I continue to like, though I am not great at determining quality.  The 3H broke in less than a year. Split at the hozel.

I hope I have better luck because I bought the PineMeadow 9W. I upgraded the shaft, we'll see what happens. Playing with it for the first time today.

• iacas changed the title to Utility Wood, Anyone Use One?

I bought a 3h from Pinemeadow that I could never hit well. I wouldn't blame them for that, but I have had better luck with The Golfworks. Currently gaming a 4w and 7w. 3h and 4h.

You may also want to consider an ironwood from Tour Edge. Their new Hot Launch 521 line looks interesting.

5 hours ago, cooke119 said:

I hope I have better luck because I bought the PineMeadow 9W. I upgraded the shaft, we'll see what happens. Playing with it for the first time today.

Played an executive course today to work on the short game, (plus every course around here is booked). Anyway, I used the 9W for 140 - 145 yard holes, worked great, nice and straight, lot of confidence with it now, better then my longer irons.

• 1 month later...

61 yrs old here. Started playing a 7 wood this year after I got one in a bundled buy. Love it, I'm much more consistent with it than a 3 iron. Also got a couple 4 iron hybrids with the deal. Not sold on them, I think it's because they are offset and heel weighted for a draw bias, but my natural shot is a draw, and I sure don't need help turning it over. Kid handed me an old Daiwa Hitrax 26 degree wood to hit one day when we were behind a row of trees about 185 out.  Very compact head, shorter than my 5 iron, thick grass friendly sole design. I killed it, nice and tight to the pin. Nice club but I'm not ready to give up my 4 or 5 iron yet, if for nothing else just the fact that I can still work them either way, and those hybrids and high lofted fairway wood are tough to work.

On 11/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, cooke119 said:

Played an executive course today to work on the short game, (plus every course around here is booked). Anyway, I used the 9W for 140 - 145 yard holes, worked great, nice and straight, lot of confidence with it now, better then my longer irons.

They do have utility woods in the bigger OEMs, I know Taylormade has a 9 wood in the M6 line I’m not sure about the SIM line. I used to play a 7-wood... never a 9-wood. I had that set of ‘04 Big Bertha woods. I hit the 9-wood a couple times at the range. I hit it about my 4-iron distance (200-210 yards) nice high trajectory pretty straight.

@cooke119 I only currently have 2 headcovers in my bag (Driver and 3-wood). As someone else said if you’re hitting a 9-wood 140-145 yards. Have you considered hybrids for your 4, 5, and perhaps 6 iron?

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I'm one of those guys that hits FW woods better than hybrids and I used a 9 wood from age 45 to 60. Then I put new shafts in my 4,5,and 7 woods but not my 9 wood. I called my 9 wood my money club. I won a many of closest to the pins with that club from the 160 range. Now I'm back to my 4 iron since the 9 wood is now the lightest club in my bag. I may re-shaft the 9 wood though. It's a money club for me. ha

On 12/19/2020 at 10:38 PM, onthehunt526 said:

They do have utility woods in the bigger OEMs, I know Taylormade has a 9 wood in the M6 line I’m not sure about the SIM line. I used to play a 7-wood... never a 9-wood. I had that set of ‘04 Big Bertha woods. I hit the 9-wood a couple times at the range. I hit it about my 4-iron distance (200-210 yards) nice high trajectory pretty straight.

@cooke119 I only currently have 2 headcovers in my bag (Driver and 3-wood). As someone else said if you’re hitting a 9-wood 140-145 yards. Have you considered hybrids for your 4, 5, and perhaps 6 iron?

I have a number of hybrids which I occasionally use but I hit FWs better for some reason so I tried the 9 FW. 

18 hours ago, chop said:

I'm one of those guys that hits FW woods better than hybrids and I used a 9 wood from age 45 to 60. Then I put new shafts in my 4,5,and 7 woods but not my 9 wood. I called my 9 wood my money club. I won a many of closest to the pins with that club from the 160 range. Now I'm back to my 4 iron since the 9 wood is now the lightest club in my bag. I may re-shaft the 9 wood though. It's a money club for me. ha

Funny when I was looking I didn't see any, maybe I didn't search hard enough so I bought from Pine Meadow. I upgraded the shaft from them, feels like a good club, hitting it well.

• 2 years later...
On 10/31/2020 at 8:22 AM, cooke119 said:

As I get older, (I'm 69 now), my game has fallen off. Also I player fewer rounds, maybe one a week but I do try to get to the range. Anyway I have found that I have been having trouble with my long irons. A guy i play with in the league uses a set of woods instead of irons, I think he carries up to an 11W but he plays well. I use a Driver, 3W, 5W and a 7W, I'm thinking of getting a 9W, anyone play that club?

The only place I have seen them is at PineMeadow golf, they are under $100.00.  Has anyone purchased from there?

I ma working on resolving my issues with my irons but so far it has been very frustrating. But I hit my wood really well, go figure.

Just now, micha said:

i am 70 and play a nine wood and a11 wood love them both