IGNORED

Patrick Reed - The Man, the Child Abuse (?), Redemption (??)

Phil McGleno

Patrick Reed Abuse  

61 members have voted

1. 1. If Patrick Reed was Physically and Emotionally Abused as a Child, Does Your Opinion of Him Change?

• Yeah
    • No

Patrick Reed is estranged from his parents.-He cheats at golf at least a few times and has been caught once or twice.

I have never been harsh in my opinion about Patrick because I'd heard so many rumors-Credible ones-About his abuse as a child.

Patrick's dad was much like Earl Woods except that he also got physically abusive-If Patrick didnt play well. Reed had to form an ego as a bit of an act or a shield.-Some kids get quieter and withdrawn when they suffer abuse, others try to act tough to deflect things-Serving as their own protector.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I voted yeah, but it wouldn't change much, as I've long suspected this type of thing.

Childhood abuse can really f*** you up. I'm not getting too far into this because it's speculation, but I will say it "fits" pretty well with all that I know, all that I've heard. How he acts, how Justine acts… etc.

@Phil McGleno, you did not vote in your own poll? (Thank you for adding one.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted yes. I know a couple of people who were abused as children and it has life long effects on them. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@iacas-I voted now. Voted no-Because I have heard these stories since Pat was in college. So I do not think I have ever really been overly negative about Patrick.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I really like the way he plays, and always have. I have never liked some of his actions. His wife and he, along with his caddie seem very devoted to each other, and I always thought that there had to be a fairly big reason he ditched his family. I really have nothing against him. I hope he can get past the stuff that happened, but I don't think stuff like that ever leaves. Your mom and dad should be the ones that protect you the most. It has to mess you up when that's not the case.

• iacas changed the title to Patrick Reed Abused as a Child?

I voted yes. I think he’s an ass, but if he’s that way because of child abuse, then it definitely changes how I feel about that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

I voted yes. I think he’s an ass, but if he’s that way because of child abuse, then it definitely changes how I feel about that.

ditto

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I think we can understand the difficulties he's had and still hold him accountable for what he does on the course.

Golf is more interesting with characters playing it. Some of those characters can be the proverbial black hats. Hopefully Reed has seen his last cheating scandal, goes on to finish his career in style and provides some amusement to us spectators along the way.

I voted no because I've always kinda been a fan (despite all the issues). I guess I would like to hear the story of abuse from him or someone in the family. I don't like just getting one side of any story.

• Upvote 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Some behavior can be a bit more understood and perhaps tolerated from someone you know has an abusive past. But it’s not a free pass by any means. Having an abusive past doesn’t numb the ability to know that cheating, especially at the professional level, is wrong and unacceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

10 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I think we can understand the difficulties he's had and still hold him accountable for what he does on the course.

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Some behavior can be a bit more understood and perhaps tolerated from someone you know has an abusive past. But it’s not a free pass by any means. Having an abusive past doesn’t numb the ability to know that cheating, especially at the professional level, is wrong and unacceptable. 

I voted no for pretty much these exact reasons. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I have never really been bothered by him. Maybe it was because he put on such a good show with Rory. But I did vote yes. He does have an attitude problem, but taking into account the child abuse, I can see why. I agree with @iacas, that stuff can really mess a kid up for life. Not just a kid. Abuse can scar adults for life as well.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I voted no. If that's true about Patrick Reed's background I can relate but there comes a time when one has to stand up and take responsibility for their own life and quit blaming others for their own issues - in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, klineka said:

I voted no for pretty much these exact reasons. 

I'd suggest neither of you really understand child abuse.

The poll doesn't ask if you're okay with or excuse his cheating or any bravado comments he's made, it asks if you see him differently.

Do you see Tiger's cheating stuff differently when you learn about Earl cheating on his mother and all of that stuff? Of course it does (I'd hope).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

The poll doesn't ask if you're okay with or excuse his cheating or any bravado comments he's made, it asks if you see him differently.

I'd agree with both of these points. Before doing my psych rotation with the criminally insane  (one patient literally hacked up his mom and stored parts of her in his garage's tool box), I thought the "Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity" (NGIR) plea was a full of crap excuse to get off in court, but seeing people with real psychiatric problems was eye opening. People can make improvements in their behaviors temporarily, or even for prolonged bouts of time, but it's not changing the mental/psychological ramifications they've incurred. Some learn to cope better, but it doesn't make the problem go away.  I'm a firm believer in holding people accountable for their actions, and like iacas said, I don't condone their behavior, but I would agree that I see them in a more understanding light than I previously would have. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Quoting another forum where this came up recently as well. The Tiger doc is kicking up some dust in unexpected areas.

He’ll never come out and talk about it. He’ll just continue letting people give him shit for cutting his parents off and letting people get mad at him for having his parents kicked out of tournaments but no one really realizes that his parents still show up to a ton of tournaments every year. They flew halfway around the world to go to the Ryder Cup in Paris. They know he doesn’t want them there and they still continue to impose themselves. What kind of parent that actually loves their child would continue to show up at their kid’s job all the time if they knew it upset them?

I hadn't heard that much. I knew they still attended now and then, but I thought it was only nearby events, The Masters, etc.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

My opinion of him is pretty much entirely based on him cheating (not that it's a particularly strong opinion, I just don't care for him and will likely always root for someone else if its 1v1 down the stretch). The bravado comments or whatever are just "meh" to me, doesn't really affect my opinion of him.  

It's entirely possible (and probable) that I don't really understand child abuse, but even if he was abused, I don't think that justifies or excuses the cheating behavior, which is what my opinion of Reed is based on. I understand that isn't all that much to base an opinion on, but like I said, my opinion of him isn't particularly strong to begin with, I don't wish him harm or ill will or anything I just would rather see someone else win over him, and hearing that he likely was abused as a child doesn't change that opinion.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV