IGNORED

The President's Cup Should Be a Men's/Women's Mixed Team Event

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The President's Cup Should be a Men's/Women's Mixed Team Event  

21 members have voted

1. 1. The President's Cup Should be a Men's/Women's Mixed Team Event

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, Shorty said:

It's an absolute sh*t of an idea.

Why would the U.S. men want to be part of a deal where the U.S. women are pretty much guaranteed to get hammered by the South Koreans, Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis?

It's a guaranteed way to demonstrate the lack of depth in the U.S. women's professional game.

They can put as many flag transfers on their faces and ribbons in their hair as they can fit, but the sad fact is that it will just underline problems rather than solve them.

The Presidents Cup will always be less interesting than the Ryder Cup for European and U.S. fans. But it has a developing history and can be fantastic when it's close.

Non U.S. and European fans love to watch great golf and they also love opportunity to see the U.S. get beaten on the rare occasions it happens which is why the Ryder Cup is number one.

But why make a second string international event even less interesting by diluting its relevance even more? It can only make it worse, not better.

The lack of depth of the US Women could offset the lack of depth of the International men and, thus, make the event more competitive overall.

And I think the tattoos and ribbons help us see that they are invested.

I believe that I'd be at least a little more inclined to watch if it was coed than how it is currently.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Just now, Golfingdad said:

The lack of depth of the US Women could offset the lack of depth of the International men and, thus, make the event more competitive overall.

The International men almost won the last Presidents Cup.

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

I believe that I'd be at least a little more inclined to watch if it was coed than how it is currently.

Some people would.

The problem is, the men/PGA Tour have no incentive to do this.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The SandTrap had this same discussion back in 2019 and the PGA Tour mentioned it in 2018.

Unfortunately @bweiss711you’ll never get the good players to do this.  The regular PGA events don’t even play for 9 million, where would that money come from?

18 minutes ago, bweiss711 said:

The main points still hold no matter how hard you want to push there is no merit.  There is growing demand for a mixed gender event with evidence for such being that this thread even exists. And The Match has shown a blueprint for non-PGA affiliated golf events.

If there is a huge demand for it, it would’ve already happened.  

• Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

So turn the Presidents Cup into an event where half the play is more boring to watch, and the US doubles their chances of losing? Yeah...I’m in.🥴

• Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

So turn the Presidents Cup into an event where half the play is more boring to watch, and the US doubles their chances of losing? Yeah...I’m in.🥴

How about lefties versus righties? All the ‘Made a deal with the Devil” left handed players versus “purer than white-driven snow” right handed players? 

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, bweiss711 said:

Just for the sake of putting together a field with no top guys, are you really not tuning in for Phil Mickelson/Billy Horschel/Brooke Henderson/Michelle Wie vs Tyrell Hatton/Paul Casey/and 2 European LPGA players vs Sung-jae Im/Byuong-hun An/and 2 Asian LPGA players? (my apologies for not having enough of an understanding of the prestige of LPGA players to make this hypothetical player field complete.  I do assume top LPGA players would be more likely to commit however.)  At the very least, you'd be aware of what's going on with it.

The whole idea is DOA. 99% of golf fans only want to watch Tiger and half a dozen of the top guys. Their personal emotional investment is very limited for 48 weeks of the year.

Fact is, if Kevin Na was number one in the world and Matt Wolfe number 2, I'm not tuning in to watch them play in a made for TV bonanza no matter who they're playing against. Especially a couple of LPGA players who I know nothing about. I am a huge fan of quite a few LPGA players from all over - I love Brooke Henderson and  Minjee Lee, Lydia Ko, for example. but it's more of a bonus when they're playing. I am not tuning in BECAUSE they're playing. If the Korda sisters are playing I'd rather go for a ride on my bike. If Lexi Thomson is playing I'd rather hurt myself in some way.

You can't consciously create history especially when people don't care about the participants. 

The Tiger v Phil thing was about as interesting as watching a playoff for 3rd and 4th in an amateur event, so who's paying for something no-one cares about?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

The International men almost won the last Presidents Cup.

Some people would.

The problem is, the men/PGA Tour have no incentive to do this.

True.

Perhaps a better argument would’ve been to point out that the US Men’s depth never seems to work for them so much in recent years in the Ryder Cup, so it’s no guarantee International women would dominate for the same reason.

Edited by Golfingdad

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

True.

Perhaps a better argument would’ve been to point out that the US Men’s depth never seems to work for them so much in recent years in the Ryder Cup, so it’s no guarantee International women would dominate for the same reason.

Did the U.S. men ever have a line-up like this?

On 1/27/2021 at 3:55 PM, iacas said:

On the Rolex World Rankings, ROW team members occupy spots 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23…

That's 17 of the top 23, and some of the missing ones are from Europe.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Did the U.S. men ever have a line-up like this?

That's 17 of the top 23, and some of the missing ones are from Europe.

I'm guessing no? 🙂

Seems that maybe women's team events need to be just Korea vs. the world.  Looks like they have 14 of the top 30.

9 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm guessing no? 🙂

Seems that maybe women's team events need to be just Korea vs. the world.  Looks like they have 14 of the top 30.

Which is why the Solheim Cup is a total joke. Watching the ‘B’ group teams go at it! 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

17 hours ago, bweiss711 said:

I'm not going to apologize for not having a fully thought out, investor-ready, presentation based on a hypothetical on the internet.

The main points still hold no matter how hard you want to push there is no merit.  There is growing demand for a mixed gender event with evidence for such being that this thread even exists. And The Match has shown a blueprint for non-PGA affiliated golf events.

There's not no potential there.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Even when the head says it makes no sense.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

19 hours ago, Shorty said:

The whole idea is DOA. 99% of golf fans only want to watch Tiger and half a dozen of the top guys. Their personal emotional investment is very limited for 48 weeks of the year.

Fact is, if Kevin Na was number one in the world and Matt Wolfe number 2, I'm not tuning in to watch them play in a made for TV bonanza no matter who they're playing against. Especially a couple of LPGA players who I know nothing about. I am a huge fan of quite a few LPGA players from all over - I love Brooke Henderson and  Minjee Lee, Lydia Ko, for example. but it's more of a bonus when they're playing. I am not tuning in BECAUSE they're playing. If the Korda sisters are playing I'd rather go for a ride on my bike. If Lexi Thomson is playing I'd rather hurt myself in some way.

You can't consciously create history especially when people don't care about the participants. 

The Tiger v Phil thing was about as interesting as watching a playoff for 3rd and 4th in an amateur event, so who's paying for something no-one cares about?

If Matt Wolfe had more time to build up a profile or be a guy who made as many big putts to win big events as Tiger has, I think people would watch. Same is true for Kevin Na. I think part of this is how the PGA has promoted them. Tiger was the money maker and the PGA marketing machine built a story around him. And kept hitting the replay button. Once Tiger went away they appeared to have no clear backup strategy.

I guess you could argue "young guns", Rickie Fowler, Jordan Speith. Until they stopped playing so good and Tiger came back

Edited by mchepp

Michael

Note: This thread is 1191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!