IGNORED

What do You Pay for Handicapping?

mauricio

Many Thanks for all that shared your toughts from your associations, I believe all the cost shared are annually, could you please confirm? Best!

Putter Odyssey DF550 , DRIVER SRIXON Z765, Irons Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, Hybrid 2 Taylormade Rescue TP,Hybrid 3 Taylormade Rescue, Hybrid 4 PING G30, 52ΒΊ Titleist DCI BeCu Wedge, 56ΒΊ Taylormade Rac TP

MaurΓ­cio Costenaro Sato, member of Brazilian Golf Confederation Athletes Committee, rater

1 hour ago, mauricio said:

Many Thanks for all that shared your toughts from your associations, I believe all the cost shared are annually, could you please confirm? Best!

At my club, and I believe for the entire state of Virginia, the Handicap maintenance fee is paid once each year, usually in the early Spring.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm handicapped enough as it is. I'm not paying for such things anymore.Β 

The Miami Valley Golf Association handles such things in my area and charges $50 for e-club. Otherwise, you join through your home course. Most of them charge the same $50 except for those goofs at Community who want $55 for some reason.

I am not sure if our club pays anything, but us members don't pay anything.Β  We use the WHS system in the Online Golf app

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

3 hours ago, mauricio said:

Annual for me in Maryland.

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway:Β Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade:Β R11SΒ 3 Fairway
:ping:Β G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PWΒ :cleveland:Β RTX 56 degree
:titleist:Β - ScottyΒ CameronΒ Newport Select 2

• Administrator
7 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I am not sure if our club pays anything, but us members don't pay anything.Β  We use the WHS system in the Online Golf app

You likely pay for it… it's just rolled into your dues or something.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, iacas said:

You likely pay for it… it's just rolled into your dues or something.

Eminently possible I suppose.Β  I have no clue what it costs.Β  Must enquire at the club so I can actually figure out what we are paying, if possible

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

As a member club of the Golf Assoiation of Michigan, we pay a fee for each active member on 6/1 each year. We bake the annual cost ($24 now) into our pricing. For the money, each member has a GHIN handicap account. The nice kicker is our club gains access to the tournament management system, Golf Genius, as part of the transaction.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

On 5/4/2023 at 5:11 PM, CarlSpackler said:

I don’t. I quit years ago when they started monkeying with things. I wasn’t really using it anyway.

When you say "monkeying with" Do you mean the world handicap system?Β 

Β 

For the record I don't think the whs wasn't needed and I don't like some of the formula changes. But I will tell you that the ghin app and website is eminently superior to it old version. So at least we got something better 😊

14 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

For the record I don't think the whs wasn't needed and I don't like some of the formula changes.

To me its an admirable goal, to have all golfers using the same handicap system, instead of having six different systems.Β  The goal hasn't been met, but future changes may bring is all closer than we are now.Β  As for the formula changes, for those of us in the USGA areas the effect is really minimal.Β  I do like the elimination of the Exceptional Tournament score reduction, that could become excessively penal, in my opinion.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

$35 annual fee.Β  Get's me handicapping for the year through GHIN, Membership in the Minnesota Golf Association, Eligibility to enter Minnesota Golf Association events, and Minnesota Golfer Magazine (Quarterly publication).

• Like 1

John

On 5/4/2023 at 9:46 AM, DaveP043 said:

At my club, and I believe for the entire state of Virginia, the Handicap maintenance fee is paid once each year, usually in the early Spring.

Yes, always paid in early spring for year (March), I believe at my club.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

A few of my leagues do their own handicapping, it cuts down on the sandbaggers and gets the vanity cappers where they belong.

I no longer support the USGA for a number of reasons and will in no way provide them with money whenever possible.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Esox said:

I no longer support the USGA for a number of reasons and will in no way provide them with money whenever possible.

And yet, they still spend a good amount of money helping you. Bummer you feel that way; I don't think you understand the full scope of what the USGA does.

But… to each his own.

I'll continue to give of my time (as a course rater for the past nearly 20 years, as a rules official for nearly half as long as that) to the USGA and my AGA.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

On 5/14/2023 at 8:15 AM, Esox said:

A few of my leagues do their own handicapping, it cuts down on the sandbaggers and gets the vanity cappers where they belong.

Could you explain in details how this handicapping is calculated and operates? I'm with @iacasΒ when he says about the USGA role, what they do impact golf all around the world, it benefits the game.

Putter Odyssey DF550 , DRIVER SRIXON Z765, Irons Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, Hybrid 2 Taylormade Rescue TP,Hybrid 3 Taylormade Rescue, Hybrid 4 PING G30, 52ΒΊ Titleist DCI BeCu Wedge, 56ΒΊ Taylormade Rac TP

MaurΓ­cio Costenaro Sato, member of Brazilian Golf Confederation Athletes Committee, rater

8 hours ago, mauricio said:

Could you explain in details how this handicapping is calculated and operates? I'm with @iacasΒ when he says about the USGA role, what they do impact golf all around the world, it benefits the game.

I don't do it so I don't know how it is done, or even if each league does it the same way. But it works.

As far as the USGA, when they decided to use social engineering tools to weigh who gets to play in youth tournies, regardless of qualification, they lost me.Β  Among other reasons, but that was the last straw. Accepting less qualified candidates over more qualified candidates under any circumstances is just plain wrong.