IGNORED

Wedges Matching Irons (Such as Mavrik) Vs. Wedge Set

Note: This thread is 1112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have Mavrik Irons 5 to AW, and 14 year old Mizuno 52 and 56 wedges. I want to get new wedges. Mavrik GW and SW are 51 and 56. What do you think about using Mavrik 51 and 56 (Cavity Design) vs specialty wedge (More Blade Type) series such as Titleist Vokey or Callaway Jaw wedges?

Thanks,

Edited by khalespace

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* stronger  than standard.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R series 52* and 56*. (80, 60)

Nickent: 4DX 2 hybrid 17* and 4 hybrid 23* (185 and 170 carry)

3 Wood: Tour Edge XGC 13* (195 carry)

Driver: Callaway FT IZ Driver 9* (210 carry, ~230 total)

Just now, khalespace said:

I have Mavrik Irons 5 to AW, and 14 year old Mizuno 52 and 56 wedges. I want to get new wedges. Mavrik GW and SW are 51 and 56. What do you think about using Mavrik 51 and 56 vs specialty wedge series such as Titleist Vokey or Callaway Jaw wedges?

Thanks,

For me this is an easy answer. 
It depends.

It depends on how you use the wedge. For example I use my pitching wedge and my gap wedges as a 10 iron and an 11 iron. I hit mostly full shots with them. So, I like those to be more iron-like. I never ever ever hit full shots with my sand wedge or my lob wedge. So, those are specialty wedges which are designed to do the job I use them for. 

If you use your wedge more like an iron, get a wedge that's more like an iron. 
If you need a wedge with a high degree of versatility get a wedge with a high degree of versatility. 

See, very easy. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a set 48* PW, 54* vokey, and a 60* vokey. I hit full shots, partial shots, high shots, medium shots, low shots, floaters, low spinners, good shots, bad shots, pitches, and chips with all of them. 🙂 

13 minutes ago, khalespace said:

I have Mavrik Irons 5 to AW, and 14 year old Mizuno 52 and 56 wedges. I want to get new wedges. Mavrik GW and SW are 51 and 56. What do you think about using Mavrik 51 and 56 (Cavity Design) vs specialty wedge (More Blade Type) series such as Titleist Vokey or Callaway Jaw wedges?

Thanks,

Like @ChetlovesMer said, it really comes down to personal preference. I treat my PW like an iron (mainly full swings), so my current set of Srixon ZX5 is 4-PW, and I carry 50, 55, and 60 degree "specialty" wedges. I rarely hit a full swing shot with the 55 and 60 degree wedges, and the 50 degree wedge is probably used 40/60 for full swings. So for the purpose of versatility, I prefer the "specialty" wedges like Edel, Vokey, et. al. for these shots.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 hour ago, khalespace said:

Thanks,

FWIW I have the Callaway Jaw wedges 52-56-60. These wedges are phenomenal. They junk the ball up beautifully. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

This topic pops up from time to time and it always boils down to how you plan on using your wedges.

Iron set wedges are designed like the rest of the set, so for a game improvement set, they will have wider soles, more offset, and will tend to launch the ball higher. Specialty wedges are more versatile because they can have different grind and relief options.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

For me, I use the PW that is part of my iron set and then my gap (50°), sand (55°0, and lob (60°) are "regular" wedges (Edel). I've never been a big fan of the gap/sand/lob wedges that are a part of the iron set.

I know there are some who have their 9 iron as the last iron in their set and then have a different PW.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I have Mizuno Irons but have been using Cleveland wedges for about the past 10 years. I have a 54 and 58. I do hit full shots with the 54 but not very often. I just like these wedges because they have very little bounce and I find that useful. Like the posters above have said, "it just depends on how you use your wedges". In my case, my wedges (as well as my 3 woods) have always been in and out of the bag. It's just trial and error. I think it's part of golfs' charm. Your always looking for the perfect club (that works for you).

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

(edited)

Thank you. I just purchased 2 used Cleveland CBX wedges with 54 and 58 degrees loft for $100. I never hit full shot with the wedges. With 1/3 shots, I get 40 and 30 yards with these clubs. Anything within 100 yards, I used my AW (50 and 75), PW (60 and 90) and 9 (70 and 100) with either 1/3 or 2/3 swings.

Edited by khalespace

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* stronger  than standard.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R series 52* and 56*. (80, 60)

Nickent: 4DX 2 hybrid 17* and 4 hybrid 23* (185 and 170 carry)

3 Wood: Tour Edge XGC 13* (195 carry)

Driver: Callaway FT IZ Driver 9* (210 carry, ~230 total)

I own a U-iron (gap wedge loft, I think Ping calls it a utility iron?) and a 50 degree Ping Glide in that loft.  I alternate them depending how I feel.  Right now, I'm on the U-iron, and I made two full swings with it that hit the green.  Sadly, neither was for GIR, but that's hardly that club's fault ;-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 4/5/2021 at 8:26 PM, Darkfrog said:

Like @ChetlovesMer said, it really comes down to personal preference. I treat my PW like an iron (mainly full swings), so my current set of Srixon ZX5 is 4-PW, and I carry 50, 55, and 60 degree "specialty" wedges. I rarely hit a full swing shot with the 55 and 60 degree wedges, and the 50 degree wedge is probably used 40/60 for full swings. So for the purpose of versatility, I prefer the "specialty" wedges like Edel, Vokey, et. al. for these shots.

@Darkfrog How the hell do you already have ZX5s? I’m still waiting for mine. 

I play the set gap wedge in my 785s but it’s kind of a cross between an iron set wedge and a speciality wedge. Sand wedges I like to use a speciality wedge because it’s easier to manipulate bounce/face angle, etc.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

29 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

@Darkfrog How the hell do you already have ZX5s? I’m still waiting for mine

I got fitted for them before they were released and my fitter must have gotten one of the earlier shipments from srixon/cleveland. I’ve had them since Feb 20th or so. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Just now, Darkfrog said:

I got fitted for them before they were released and my fitter must have gotten one of the earlier shipments from srixon/cleveland. I’ve had them since Feb 20th or so. 

I ordered my March 15, they told me maybe last week of April... if they get the heads.. (They upgraded me to two day shipping).

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 1112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!