IGNORED

Brooks-Bryson Feud

ncates00
Note: This thread is 897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Just as soon as you stop with the "we do it in other sports" or "Tiger had to put up with stuff, so they should have to too" crap.

No. I didn’t say they should have to. Incorrect. I believe they should be able to. That’s a very different take. Obviously I’ve never been in a large scale event like a PGA tournament, but taunting, name calling, has never bothered me as an adult. I’ve been subjected to it many times in sports and am harassed every shift at my clinic with anti-vaxxers and other ignorant, selfish and entitled people. I handle it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf spectators are in close vicinity to point where they could have personal conversation. Don't get personal. I think it's a bit of a privilege to be allowed that close to the players. Please don't abuse it.

An overkill analogy is talking to a doctor who is in middle of surgery. Yeah, shut up please. Even if he is in middle of changing gloves. It wouldn't take a derogatory slur for the good doctor to cut the wrong artery. 

Let them work when working, keep the taunting, whatever, to social media. It's not that hard. 

• Like 1

Vishal S.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

taunting, name calling, has never bothered me as an adult.

Terrible argument.

Imagine saying that taunting and name-calling never bothered you as a child so other children should be able to put up with it too.

You’re not everyone.

Your experiences and attitude are but everyone’s.

Just as they say your freedom to wave your fists around ends at someone else’s nose, your freedom to say whatever you want ends at being disrespectful and rude at PGA Tour events.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, one the earlier posts talks about how Nicklaus sucked it up so in effect everyone else should. Who's to say just because Nicklaus suffered indignation it didn't affect him. 

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Imagine saying that taunting and name-calling never bothered you as a child so other children should be able to put up with it too.

Vishal S.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Terrible argument.

You’re not everyone.

Your experiences and attitude are but everyone’s.

Just as they say your freedom to wave your fists around ends at someone else’s nose, your freedom to say whatever you want ends at being disrespectful and rude at PGA Tour events.

Well Bryson did in fact say he liked it. That it fuels him to play better. You also said ‘Mashed potatoes’ isn’t rude. Well, maybe to you. Maybe that really upsets a golfer and is affecting his game. What do you say to that player? Do we eject the people yelling it?

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

Huh? You totally changed this. Who expects a child to handle issues like an adult. I specifically said adult. Terrible argument.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well Bryson did in fact say he liked it. That it fuels him to play better.

Bullied people often say they don't mind, that they are just being teased and that they like it, etc.

We've already stipulated that saying this wasn't the best case. Do you think he actually likes it? That it's a positive thing in his life?

No, you don't, because you're not stupid.

45 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Huh? You totally changed this. Who expects a child to handle issues like an adult. I specifically said adult. Terrible argument.

No shit I changed it.

The point is… just because YOU can handle something doesn't mean it's "fine" or "correct" or "right" or "okay."

To make that point more obvious, I changed it to a child because, as a doctor, you should know that everyone is different. Some kids graduate from college at 19. Others are never going to be able to graduate from high school.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The definition of what upsets a player is very personal.  Some guys feed off the negativity and hate.  Others are thick skinned and just couldn't care either way.  Yet others are very thin skinned and take offence to anything negative said about them.  Drawing the line at what is offensive and isn't, is very difficult to do.  Unfortunately, playing a sport professionally means you need to put up with it, since fans and sponsors are what pay the bills.

Of course, that doesn't mean you put up with stuff like racism for example, but defining the boundaries of acceptable and unacceptable is a crap shoot at best

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
1 minute ago, pganapathy said:

Unfortunately, playing a sport professionally means you need to put up with it

No, it doesn't.

Hence the revisions just made.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, it doesn't.

Hence the revisions just made.

The question is where do you draw the line.  And some player will get upset if a fan shouts out that he is useless.  And another will feed off the negativity.  And the third just won't care.  Do we set the line at what upsets the first player 🤷‍♂️

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

So if a player complains to an official that a spectator is annoying him by yelling, “mashed potatoes” he just needs to suck it up? 

Yes. Unless he’s on a Keto diet.😜

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

The question is where do you draw the line.  And some player will get upset if a fan shouts out that he is useless.  And another will feed off the negativity.  And the third just won't care.  Do we set the line at what upsets the first player 🤷‍♂️

Well, they decided that they would draw the line in a slightly different place now. The line is fuzzy, but it's clearly in a different location.

Just because the line is still fuzzy doesn't mean moving it a bit wasn't the right call, nor does it mean like you previously said that players "need to put up with it."

16 hours ago, saevel25 said:

To me it depends on the event. 

Ryder Cup, let's show some national pride. I think the players get amped up when the crowds are more into it. 

Normal event, no need to be an ass towards the golfers. I don't care if you hate a golfer or not. I wasn't a fan of certain golfers, I wasn't being a stalker trying to cause them to mess up. There is no place for that. 

It was a good one. It hammers home the point. Just because things were a certain way for decades, doesn't mean it is correct. 

For decades, black MLB players lived in fear when traveling through the south. By your logic, that should be the same treatment today because they had to deal with it back then. 

Yeah, a crowd chanting another player's name is just like slavery.  And flying on a private plane is just like a black athlete riding a bus through the South.

I fear we are starting to reap the effects of the SAT dropping analogies from the test.

• Booooooooo 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

4 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I fear we are starting to reap the effects of the SAT dropping analogies from the test.

When did that happen?!  That was my strong point.  Dropping analogies is like eating peanut butter from the jar...

• Funny 1

Where is the line drawn here on TST? Any amount of calling anybody anything negative.  Are we all snowflakes or do we understand that we are all human and should be respectful regardless of opinions?  Because athletes make good money, means they should be targeted and able to handle getting called names?  Are they all of a sudden not normal people?

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, turtleback said:

Yeah, a crowd chanting another player's name is just like slavery.  And flying on a private plane is just like a black athlete riding a bus through the South.

They've had the reading comprehension part for awhile but I'm not sure how you skated through, eh? 😉

Nobody's said it's "just like" it.

It's an example, like the smoking one, of just because something "used" to be done, it doesn't need to be done anymore. To a different degree.

Advance the discussion, don't argue the meta. It only wastes time.

Pro golfers are  pampered beyond  belief. If you cant take  some  heckling then do something else for a  living. If you cant take someone  yelling  "Brooksie" you are too soft. As far as the  feud in general, Brooks best start beating Bryson. If i were Bryson  i would just say, "I dont feud with a  bottom dueler". One  other thing, i like Koepka but  his withdrawing was disgraceful. My guess  is  it was the  kind  of  injury you  get when you cant  make  birdies  on a  very easy  course. I think he  just wanted to find a reason to quit. Had  he been 16 under  par he would still be  out there.

Same dumb schtick since joining.

• Administrator

Did you read anything posted earlier? Do you just disagree with it, or did you just come here to say what you had to say without reading anything from those who disagree?

And, apparently, Brooks is a liar, eh? Your "guess" is that he's lying about his injury? Do you know what the rules are specifically about playing all four rounds with respect to the amount of bonus FedExCup money they make?

For Brooks  i dont think money  is an issue. Im sure he  makes so much in endorsements that the  395K for  last  place doesnt even matter. And  yes, im guessing  he would still be  playing  if  he were  16 under  par. The guy on TV also said Koepka  told him he will be fine for the Ryder  cup. If  he thought the  injury was possibly serious how would he  know that?

Same dumb schtick since joining.

Note: This thread is 897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!