IGNORED

Best Shot / Worst Shot, Ever

Big Lex
Note: This thread is 970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/1/2021 at 10:14 AM, mdl said:

Sounds cool. I play in my work league so get some competition in but wouldn't mind another source of potential tournaments and getting to play some private courses. I've gotten a few rounds at Witch Hollow and Edgewater, but none of the others.

Do they do any team tournaments? I like individual but find I most enjoy two or four person team tourneys, whether alt shot, best ball, scramble, shamble, whatever.

yep, this saturday is best ball, they do some scrambles and so forth. But you would love the Central Oregon Shootout...no stroke play, they run it scramble, best ball, Chapman...super fun

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Best shot ever:

A 25 foot downhill, sidehill birdie putt for the win in a playoff in our big annual member/member tournament.

Worst shot ever:

Leading our big annual member/member tournament a few years later by three shots on the fifteenth hole, facing a 75 yard shot over a bunker that is 50 yards short of the green as our third shot. It is a long par 4 and we are getting a shot so I expect we will, at worst, make a 5 for 4. I can hit a 75 yard shot onto the green in my sleep. It is an alternate shot event. I dump it in the bunker leading to a triple bogie 7 and we finish second in the event by one shot. 

Bill M

40 minutes ago, phan52 said:

Best shot ever:

A 25 foot downhill, sidehill birdie putt for the win in a playoff in our big annual member/member tournament.

Worst shot ever:

Leading our big annual member/member tournament a few years later by three shots on the fifteenth hole, facing a 75 yard shot over a bunker that is 50 yards short of the green as our third shot. It is a long par 4 and we are getting a shot so I expect we will, at worst, make a 5 for 4. I can hit a 75 yard shot onto the green in my sleep. It is an alternate shot event. I dump it in the bunker leading to a triple bogie 7 and we finish second in the event by one shot. 

Great stories. I love that you connect your best and worst shots to competitions. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

That I can remember...

Best: In my teenage years I was a member at a nearby course. Second hole was about 280yrds from the men's tees but a fairly tricky hole. Between the tee box and the fairway was a large ravine, a good 50ft down filled with rough and long grass. I'd put my tee shot down in the trees next to this ravine so had a completely blind shot, bunker guarding the direct line to the green. I had about 150yrds into the green and just swiped at it mindlessly with a 7 iron not even paying much attention to line/distance etc. Came out just perfect and rolled to within a few feet of the pin.

Worst: Topping my ball off the first tee at Bethpage Black a couple of months back. Had played the course a few times but my buddy had brought along a new guy to fill in and billed me as "a really good player". To add fun to the mix a fairly large group had assembled next to the first tee as there was a PGA qualifying event going off the Red course. I teed up another and striped it about 290yrds down the middle of the fairway without looking where it went. Oops.

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Best: It is actually a two way tie because I pulled off essentially the same shot within a month of one another. Both were 100-yarders to went into the cup. This was back when I was just beginning, so they were only par saves. 

Worst: Had a lot of rotten ones, but the most memorable came on the par-3 No. 13 hole on Kittyhawk's Eagle Course. The 14th tee box was just 30 yards or so left of the green and somebody parked their cart way forward of the tee box for some reason. With the water cutting center to right in front of the green, the temptation is to pull it. Well I yanked a vicious pull-hook with my 5-wood that cracked the grill of that cart. I tried to yell fore but the sound of the ball crashing into the buggy came too fast and too loud. Those guys up on the box jumped out of their skins. 

On 7/6/2021 at 7:24 AM, darthweasel said:

yep, this saturday is best ball, they do some scrambles and so forth. But you would love the Central Oregon Shootout...no stroke play, they run it scramble, best ball, Chapman...super fun

I looked it up. Looks super fun. Might join some of the Portland area ones!

Also, I totally got payback for my worst ever shot I described earlier! I played in a 2-person shamble (scramble drive, play your own ball from there, best ball is team score) last Friday. My wife bought me a swing caddie monitor for my birthday that gives swing speed, ball speed, and distance. It also has a practice swing mode for dry swings. I've been using it in my living room to drill swing speed. My partner hit an okay drive so I said I'd just try my 120mph swing.

I did that a handful of times but this was by far the best. Absolutely crushed it. Pushed it a bit but hit it 330 yards (per arccos)  just got past the big tree. Had a pitching wedge in (I told you it was short 5!) but was pissed because I pulled it. But then I sunk the 50-60' putt for eagle! Turned out to be the only gross skin that day and won me $270!

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

On 6/14/2021 at 4:25 PM, Missouri Swede said:

My best shot followed what is a good candidate for my worst shot.  Short par-4 hole, I shanked my tee shot and the ball ended up in the green-side rough of a parallel hole.  Looking it up on GoogleEarth, that's about 100 yards.

I proceeded to try to hit my 5-wood the from the rough.  Ball made the green (correct green this time)--about 200 yards.  Made the 10-foot-ish putt for birdie.

Ahh, memories of MIMSO

Same situation... I bunted a drive off the heel of my driver, which traveled about 40 yards down the left side of the fairway.  I had about 235-240 yards left to an elevated green.  I pulled my three wood out and absolutely pured it to about 20 feet.

• Upvote 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Today's finishing hole requires that most average golfers layup due to water beginning at 200 yards and requiring a 260 carry to clear it. The last time I played I hit a 4H into the water since fairways are dry and rolling. Today I hit a 6 iron pure and it stopped about 3 feet short of the water. That is as good a 6 that I can hit. And then I had 130 to the pin and hit an A-wedge to 3 feet. So after 2 consecutive best shots ever, I missed the birdie putt for the worst shot ever. I did however play the last 5 holes in 1 over after playing the first 4 in 10 over par (guessing as I quit counting on 1 hole).

War Eagle!

Note: This thread is 970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!