Jump to content
IGNORED

2021 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines


nevets88

Recommended Posts

Glad to see Rory not open up with his customary 1st round of major 75. Disappointed in Jordan. Not surprised by Phil., nor Kopeka and Louie doing what they do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, cutchemist42 said:

I waited a day but this course sucks for a US Open.

Care to delineate your reasons why you hold this opinion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
32 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Care to delineate your reasons why you hold this opinion?

I forget who, one of the guys on the recent NLU podcast called Torrey "Firestone by the ocean" or something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I forget who, one of the guys on the recent NLU podcast called Torrey "Firestone by the ocean" or something like that.

Yeah and like trendy youngsters, those guys used phrases like "lack of imagination," "it has no soul," "no memorability," "it's all vanilla," "such a waste," and other amorphous sentiments.

The only objective factors they pointed to was a) that the course is just really flat (in the literal sense) from the tee through the green and that b) there is only like one dogleg. I suppose those two are fair points. I haven't played it except on TW PGA Tour video games. They also said something like only 20% of the field has a chance--isn't that the case at most majors?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

USO on Peacock now and there's just so much announcing. SHUT UP! And ads. Lots of ads.

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

Yeah and like trendy youngsters, those guys used phrases like "lack of imagination," "it has no soul," "no memorability," "it's all vanilla," "such a waste," and other amorphous sentiments.

The only objective factors they pointed to was a) that the course is just really flat (in the literal sense) from the tee through the green and that b) there is only like one dogleg. I suppose those two are fair points. I haven't played it except on TW PGA Tour video games. They also said something like only 20% of the field has a chance--isn't that the case at most majors?

I honestly can't say, I don't know the course that well. I actually have been meaning to play it on 2K21. I know some TST folks have played it, some before or after the USO I think? Maybe they can chime in.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

USO on Peacock now and there's just so much announcing. SHUT UP!

Not only that but they often interrupt one another, making the listening experience even worse. Didn’t think that was possible haha. Steve Sands and Nick Faldo had no chemistry yesterday and constantly interrupted each other. Shut up, indeed. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Not only that but they often interrupt one another, making the listening experience even worse. Didn’t think that was possible haha. Steve Sands and Nick Faldo had no chemistry yesterday and constantly interrupted each other. Shut up, indeed. 

I watch without the sound and actually have no trouble following along. 

It's on right now as I work in my office. ... no sound. 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Watson and Rahm right  in there. Hope Koepka  does  no worse than par today. Awesome to see  players  penalized  for  missing fairways and greens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


(edited)
5 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Care to delineate your reasons why you hold this opinion?

It's a course I see every year on TV. I like US Opens to be venues you only revisit every few years.

"But what about Pebble?"

I can accept it easier with Pebble as I find the course more interesting on TV and the Pro-Am is an odd event now for who actually shows up. I love Pebble when the full strength field shows up.

 

Edited by cutchemist42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, cutchemist42 said:

It's a course I see every year on TV. I like US Opens to be venues you only revisit every few years.

 

 

I agree. In fact, in addition to not using regular tour stops, I don't like public courses as host venues either. I want old-time private clubs Olympic, Winged Foot, Oakland Hills, Oakmont, Baltusrol, and Merion etc. Screw public access courses.  And no, I have ever been a CC member in my life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


52 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

I agree. In fact, in addition to not using regular tour stops, I don't like public courses as host venues either. I want old-time private clubs Olympic, Winged Foot, Oakland Hills, Oakmont, Baltusrol, and Merion etc. Screw public access courses.  And no, I have ever been a CC member in my life.

No Old Course then? It’s just a muni 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Koepka  is  going to have to worry about  making the  cut. He  is spraying  it everywhere. Might  be  intimidated  by  Morikawa's  play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, jxdama said:

Koepka  is  going to have to worry about  making the  cut. He  is spraying  it everywhere. Might  be  intimidated  by  Morikawa's  play.

He’s just nervous from people coming too close to his knee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Holland just withdrew. Sand or something in left eye. Probably scratched it  

Looks like Finau won’t make the cut. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Let us know how it goes. 
    • Cost and time.   THanks..have to give it a try..just trying to get back into my set without investing $$ for the time being..TY!
    • From yesterday's round. Approach to the green was a little long, and my ball was sitting on the back fringe. Large pile of coyote shit between the hole and my ball. The putt was right to left breaking so luckily my line was maybe 2-3 feet to the right of the turd, and there wasn't much chance of rolling into it, unless I hit a terribly offline putt, or got unlucky with a deflection off a bump in the fringe (which is quite beat up where my ball came to rest).
    • You're not supposed to change your vote. 😛 The problem with that is that the "shotgun pattern" doesn't account for the putts that go in. Yes, the distributions of both get larger. Bobby should have studied probability more. A putt going toward the hole, if mis-directed, can go left or right. Both result in a miss. A putt that is missing the hole, if mis-directed, can go left or right. One may result in a make, the other is still a miss. Bumps (if large enough to deflect the ball a little over an inch or so, and if close enough to the hole for a miss to become a make) have a negative outcome 100% of the time when the ball is going in, and a positive outcome 50% of the time when the ball is going to miss. Or to put it in absolute terms, every bump on a ball that would be going in the middle has a negative outcome - it steers the ball farther away from the center of the hole, and every bump that steers the ball on a putt that's missing has a 50% chance of "helping" by steering it in the right direction. Nope. You can join Bobby Jones in the statistics/probability class. 🙂 These bumps aren't knocking the ball feet farther away. They're not tees randomly stuck in the ground. They're just bumps on a putting green. That's the kind of road you can lead yourself down when you don't just look at it logically. 😄 To the majority of you getting this one wrong… Let's make an extreme example. You have one putter that makes 80% of his putts, and another that makes 50%. The gap is 30% or 0.3 strokes (1.2 versus 1.5). You introduce enough randomness that 25% of the putts that were going to go in miss and 5% of the putts that were going to miss go in. The gap is now: 0.8 * .75 + 0.2 * .05 = 61%. 0.5 * .75 + 0.5 * .05 = 40% What was a 30% gap is now a 19% gap. The gap narrows. The good putter is punished, even though he's punished at the same "rates" as the bad putter, at a higher "value" because he hits more putts that would have gone in, while the bad putter hits more putts that could potentially only be directed in. To put it another way, there's a larger possible "negative" adjustment or change for the good putter and a larger possible "positive" adjustment or change for the bad putter. This is true in pretty much* all cases: the more luck plays a role, the less skill plays a role. * I'm a "never say never or always" kinda guy. I can't think of a time when an increase in randomness or luck also increases or at least doesn't reduce skill, but again… see the first sentence here in this asterisk.
    • Why? On 40 foot putts, they both don’t have much of a chance.  It’s the putts inside 15 feet that have the highest Separation Value.  So if a great putter makes 5 of 10 putts at 8 feet (tour average) on tour greens and he missed 1 or 2 more on crappy greens, his percentage changes more. The bad putter is missing more of those anyway, even on good greens.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AmirReza
      AmirReza
      (34 years old)
    2. BushwoodCC
      BushwoodCC
      (55 years old)
    3. cozelos
      cozelos
      (36 years old)
    4. RollingStoppie
      RollingStoppie
      (52 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...