IGNORED

Podcast Idea - Would You Listen to This?

Effington
Note: This thread is 1148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Podcast Idea  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you listen?

• Yes
    • No

Hey guys,

I'm looking into the idea of starting a golf podcast, and wanted to get your thoughts as to if this would be a concept you'd have any interest in.

The basic idea is that golf is hard, and the base of it will be my trials and tribulations in trying to not suck, but the majority of the content will be meant to be entertaining and self-deprecating.  I enjoy the podcast Chasing Scratch, so this is partially inspired by it, but those guys are good players.  My hypothesis is that there are a lot of bad golfers out there like me, and trying to break 100 (or something similar) is more relatable than trying to shoot par.

I know there are similar series out there (I see that Fore Play Golf did a Youtube series for one of the hosts on this topic), but I have a different slant since it's not my full-time job and I have an unusually long history of being a duffer considering the time/energy, which I believe to be relatable.

Thoughts?

• Administrator

No, I wouldn’t. Chasing Scratch works because the golf is nothing but background. It could be about bowling and I might still listen.

Them being decent helps though.

Dan Plan was a blog and was unique. You’re just doing it in your free time.

Negative points for no poll.

🙂 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Podcast Idea - Would You Listen to This?
1 hour ago, Effington said:

Hey guys,

I'm looking into the idea of starting a golf podcast, and wanted to get your thoughts as to if this would be a concept you'd have any interest in.

The basic idea is that golf is hard, and the base of it will be my trials and tribulations in trying to not suck, but the majority of the content will be meant to be entertaining and self-deprecating.  I enjoy the podcast Chasing Scratch, so this is partially inspired by it, but those guys are good players.  My hypothesis is that there are a lot of bad golfers out there like me, and trying to break 100 (or something similar) is more relatable than trying to shoot par.

I know there are similar series out there (I see that Fore Play Golf did a Youtube series for one of the hosts on this topic), but I have a different slant since it's not my full-time job and I have an unusually long history of being a duffer considering the time/energy, which I believe to be relatable.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't listen.
I'm not a podcast guy as a rule. I've dipped into chasing scratch a few times and a couple others. 
I just don't get into them. 

Sorry. It's just not my thing. 
If you want to do it, then damned the torpedoes. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I really enjoyed some of the classic books on this subject like Breaking 80 and The Fine Green Line. However, both those guys (Lee Eisenberg & John Newport) are professional writers, and both books are very funny IMO. If you're good at writing or telling stories, etc. I say go for it!  I'd give it a try on a drive - although it would have to be without family in the car, they would never let me listen to golf content 🙂

The first hurdle would be to get people to listen for the first time.  I've never listened to a golf podcast and have no desire to search one out.

The second hurdle would be to get people to continue to listen and to do that it would have to be really entertaining and probably need to be very funny, at least to keep me interested.  I mean Robin Williams level of humor.  I don't see that as being possible.

Sounds like golficity, and I unsubscribed from that years ago. So, sorry but no.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

The first hurdle would be to get people to listen for the first time.  I've never listened to a golf podcast and have no desire to search one out.

This is me also.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I'd also not be interested. That's not to say that you wouldn't be able to produce an interesting and engaging podcast. It's just that personally, I think there is an oversaturation of content in the podcast space, and you'd have to make something extremely exceptional to stand out in the crowd, whether your concept is unique or not.

Even among golf podcasts, I don't listen to my subscriptions as often as I used to. I got tired of Chasing Scratch after 2 seasons, and those guys are both entertaining and have a solid presence on the mic. I used to listen to every NLU podcast, but now I find their takes repetitive, their irreverent/raw attitude doesn't feel as genuine as it once did, and the sponsorship ads (I know it's normal for podcasts) just bug me. I never listened to every The Fried Egg episode, only ones that seemed interesting, but I listen to even less now.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I'd probably give it a listen to try it out. I like listening to podcasts in the background and the subject resonates with me. I struggle to break 90 most days. 

Note: This thread is 1148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!