IGNORED

I Have Accepted Aging

Esox
Note: This thread is 914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

49 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

With the heat this summer, it’s getting harder for me to walk 18 two days in a row. Several times I actually played three days in a row, and that was really tough. Even though a lot of guys on tour are 40 years younger than me, it makes me appreciate what they and their caddies go through. 

When I was in my 20's and 30's we used to walk 36 holes a day regularly, 54 holes on occasion. Not pulling a trolley, carrying the bag.  But that was on the flatlands of SE MI. I still regularly walk 5-12 miles a day, but never carrying anything heavier than a shotgun. Last year I walked a very hilly course built on terminal moraine, carrying my bag. My back was hurting badly from muscle spasms by the time I got back in. Kid was feeling bad for me and wanted to carry both bags. My pride wasn't having any part of it. Silly old man............

4 hours ago, Esox said:

I still regularly walk 5-12 miles a day, but never carrying anything heavier than a shotgun.

Does the shotgun count as one of the 14 clubs?😜

• Funny 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, Esox said:

When I was in my 20's and 30's we used to walk 36 holes a day regularly, 54 holes on occasion. Not pulling a trolley, carrying the bag.  But that was on the flatlands of SE MI. I still regularly walk 5-12 miles a day, but never carrying anything heavier than a shotgun. Last year I walked a very hilly course built on terminal moraine, carrying my bag. My back was hurting badly from muscle spasms by the time I got back in. Kid was feeling bad for me and wanted to carry both bags. My pride wasn't having any part of it. Silly old man............

I feel ya. I tried a bicycle stunt with my kids BMX bike….put me in the hospital and couldn’t swing a club for months.🥴

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 9/10/2021 at 9:40 AM, Archie Bunker said:

Or maybe just lengthen the shafts and decrease the lofts. And change the number on top of the club😁

Funny you should say that. Quick story (I'm 71).  I play Mizzy MX-23 irons. Just put my 4-hybrid in the closet and 4-iron back in the bag. I outdrive the seniors I play with and they make me play the whites. Been playing crap lately (86+), so I moved up to the senior tees. Shot 79 (was 1-under on the front nine, 8-over on the back). Took a look at my inconsistent game--all the iron approach shots were short, even the front nine.  Here's what I did:  I took my Ping Eye 2 irons (1983 V-grooves) out of the closet. They are +3/4" long, very weak lofts.  Now, I'm hitting greens, swinging easy, no hybrids, I think lofts not numbers. 

So, Archie, your suggestion wasn't a joke!

• Like 1

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
Mizuno MX-23 4-PW Reg Steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

3 hours ago, Tim S said:

Funny you should say that. Quick story (I'm 71).  I play Mizzy MX-23 irons. Just put my 4-hybrid in the closet and 4-iron back in the bag. I outdrive the seniors I play with and they make me play the whites. Been playing crap lately (86+), so I moved up to the senior tees. Shot 79 (was 1-under on the front nine, 8-over on the back). Took a look at my inconsistent game--all the iron approach shots were short, even the front nine.  Here's what I did:  I took my Ping Eye 2 irons (1983 V-grooves) out of the closet. They are +3/4" long, very weak lofts.  Now, I'm hitting greens, swinging easy, no hybrids, I think lofts not numbers. 

So, Archie, your suggestion wasn't a joke!

Odd thing for me is despite the stronger lofts in my T300's compared to my old Mizuno MX 20's, I dont hit my clubs any further (IE my old 8 and new 8 both carry 155 yds)  The difference is that the T300s are quite forgivng of less than good swings. and fly higher. Yes, less loft and yet  they fly higher.....

Absolute garbage passes at the ball are, of course. still seeing garbage results.  

• 2 weeks later...

69 here, added a 7w and 5 hy, irons start at 6i. Like others, I've seen the distances start to shorten. Twice daily stretching has helped along with walking as much as possible. I've been tracking stats for years and now look closely at bad tee shots, flubbed chips and 3 putts. These seem to have big impact on my scoring - plus finally moving up to the senior tees. Handicap slowly going down and fun going up!

• Thumbs Up 2

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

On 9/15/2021 at 10:59 PM, arturo28mx said:

I'm 64 and hitting the ball better than ever. What did I do? Place extra emphasis on improving my technique. Better technique can really compensate for loss of strength

So true. As you get older, your body movements become more limited. Bad swing positions can easily creep into your technique without you being aware of them. You start making compensating moves to hit the ball properly. Best idea for me is to take camera phone videos to check what's happening and see what needs correcting. You need to know what your "good swing:" looks like.

12 hours ago, Bucks said:

At 74, I'm more consistent with ball striking then I was 20 years ago. Same clubs since 2012 (except the putter), I wish I knew why.

I’m 70 and started lessons after my first 40 years ago, hoping I can improve dispersion as my eye sight is poor.

12 hours ago, Bucks said:

At 74, I'm more consistent with ball striking then I was 20 years ago. Same clubs since 2012 (except the putter), I wish I knew why.

This might be the reason why.  But please take this with a grain of salt, and a shot of whiskey. All things being equal the shorter you hit your clubs the better your dispersion.

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

This might be the reason why.  But please take this with a grain of salt, and a shot of whiskey. All things being equal the shorter you hit your clubs the better your dispersion.

Thanks, no salt or whiskey required unless it's tequila and accompanied with a wedge of lime. I've never been a big hitter, and length isn't the issue. Hitting roughly the same distances now as I was 20 years ago, however the contact is light years better. Funny game we play.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have also accepted ageing, tell myself when I have a bad round, "at least I was able to play". While that being true would rather not have to make that excuse. At 75 it is true.

Driver - Ping 410+ 12°, Fairway -TM Burner 5W, Hybrid - 3&4 TM Rescue dual, Irons -  Mizuno MX200 5-G, SW - Callaway X Tour, Putter - Odyssey 1W Versa

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 9:07 PM, Never3putt said:

I hope not.  I'm turning 70 in a few days.

I turned 70 in August '21, can't believe it but...  I'm beginning to think that 80 is the new old.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, cooke119 said:

I turned 70 in August '21, can't believe it but...  I'm beginning to think that 80 is the new old.

I turned 70 in June, you young pup! The one really good thing about being old is that you know for sure you won't die young!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Funny 1

On 9/7/2021 at 7:32 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I have a golfing friend who has 6 woods in his bag, and head covers on the few remaining irons.  So you're okay.  I've heard 60 is old, but I'm not buying it...

I played with a guy a couple of weeks ago who had nothing but wood in his bag.  I had never seen a 10 wood before.

Note: This thread is 914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!