IGNORED

I Have Accepted Aging

Esox
Note: This thread is 902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I fired my T300 4 Iron, despite it being the easiest to hit 4 iron I have ever hit.  My kid quickly snatched it up and put it in his bag. LOL

I have accepted that in my over 60 years, I may need all the help I can get. I can still hit the ball  well at times, but not consistently, due to a myriad of issues. I never liked any hybrid I ever hit, they are just hook inducing tools for me.

My bag is now

Ping G400, Alta CB55 R flex, 10.5 degree

Taylormade M6  Fujukira Atmos FR  5R flex  3, 5, 7 & 9 woods,

Titleist  T300 TT AMT Red R300  5-PW

Cleveland satin finish RTX Zipcore TT DG Spinner 50 degree, 10 bounce

Cleveland T finish (raw) RTX zipcore 54 degree, 10 bounce    -OR-

Titleist SM6 54 degree, 14 degree bounce (for courses with softer sand in the bunkers, or in the spring when everything is soft)

Titleist SM7 S Grind Stock Wedge Flex shaft. 58 degree-10 bounce

Putter- Mizuno Tour 940,  35" Saplize grip.

I change out the 9 wood and 5 iron as well, as conditions dictate, but the 9 is usually 1/2 a club longer in calm air. It flies so high it can get blown about in a cross wind. Great for hilly course uphill shots. Headwinds oddly, don't see to affect it as much, yet it stops on a dime. Must be descent angle. Sometimes I'll chuck the lob wedge and keep both the 9 wood and 5 iron in the bag, especially when the young guns have me playing tees over 6700 yards. The RTX 54 is very versatile and reliable , so the lob wedge gets its most play out of firm bunkers these days anyhow..

Yes, it feels odd having a bag with 5 woods in it, and I take a little ribbing about it, till it comes time to pay the bets.......

I had a few people tell me that if I am still hitting an 8 from 155, I have no need to carry all those woods. For me those M6 woods are more versatile, easier to work with good control., and allow for 180-240 yd effortless approaches, darn near like I was 40 again.

For you M6 players, try a TP5X ball with them. It's a combination that will amaze you with the way they  work together.

Edited by Esox

2 hours ago, Esox said:

Yes, it feels odd having a bag with 5 woods in it, and I take a little ribbing about it

I have a golfing friend who has 6 woods in his bag, and head covers on the few remaining irons.  So you're okay.  I've heard 60 is old, but I'm not buying it...

• Like 1

Woods are the way to go. Very helpful on those long approach shots. Much easier to get a nice, steep angle of descent and some spin to hold the green (or the area around the green) from farther away. I’ve got driver, 3w, driving iron, 7w, and a hybrid at the longer end of my bag. I used to have a 5w in the bag as well, but I love my driving iron too much; love hitting 50’ or so burners on some shots. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I've heard 60 is old, but I'm not buying it...

I hope not.  I'm turning 70 in a few days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I've heard 60 is old, but I'm not buying it...

30 minutes ago, Never3putt said:

I hope not.  I'm turning 70 in a few days.

The older I get the younger I think old people are.  60 is just around the corner so 70 is sounding young to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Hell, to be 60 again. That would be great.  If you think you are losing distance at 60, wait till you turn 70.  I turned 75 last month.  As they say, getting old ain't for sissies.  

• Like 1

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I have a golfing friend who has 6 woods in his bag, and head covers on the few remaining irons.  So you're okay.  I've heard 60 is old, but I'm not buying it...

60 is not  old. 61 is😜

• Funny 4

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yesterday I played with a couple 55 year old players, I’m 66. They played the Blue /White Combo tees and I played the White tees, so for half the round we were on the same tee box. They typically play Blues they mentioned on the 1st tee.  On the common tees I out drove them every time.  I actually feel I’ve gotten longer as I age. Yes I have a few hybrids, 6-SW Driver and 3 Wood.

But perhaps we get wiser as we play this game to make up for shortcomings. We may not hit the clubs we have in the past but it’s still about getting the ball in the cup with the fewest amount of stokes possible.  Beat both those guys 8 and 18 strokes!

I was playing from the withe tee box on my home course just because I always played from that tee box area anywhere I played. My neighbor convinced me to move up a tee box since. I resisted, but I must admit it’s more fun.

And as a part of the ageing thing, I’m thinking about getting a 9w and dropping the 4i. I’ll be 70 towards the end of January. Sounds as though it was a good move for you.

My dad is 83 and still plays.  I have had to pull out the 3 wood and 3/4 irons from his bag since he can't hit them consistently well.  To be fair, he still hits the ball pretty far for his age.  I am not investing money in new clubs for him, but if I did, I would say the hybrids and fairway woods are a good choice

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Age is a distance killer. Even though I don't think my swing is any different than when I was young, my irons keep coming up short of the green. You just have to accept it when getting old. Best strategy is to really concentrate on your short game and putting. That's where all the strokes are. Before long, you will be able to shoot your age! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Archie Bunker said:

Age is a distance killer. Even though I don't think my swing is any different than when I was young, my irons keep coming up short of the green. You just have to accept it when getting old. Best strategy is to really concentrate on your short game and putting. That's where all the strokes are. Before long, you will be able to shoot your age! 

Sounds like you need to chart new carry distances for your irons...

Just when you are OK with the way things are going. Kid 5' 11" 185# (21) just got a new Cobra Speedzone Extreme 10.5 degree  With a Tensi AV Blue 65. We went to the range, he hits it a LOT more consistently and straighter than he was hitting his other drivers. (Getting fit actually works LOL) He used to carry his old favorite Cleveland HiBore, 8.5 degree 285. He is only carrying this club 275, but STRAIGHT, and with sufficient height to cut doglegs he used to have to try to work the ball around..

Great. Now I need to fire my trusty G400 to keep up with the arms race..........

Edited by Esox

Hybrids... Hybrids... all the way down to 6. Was looking for a 7H and may get one during the off season. So easy to hit. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

With the heat this summer, it’s getting harder for me to walk 18 two days in a row. Several times I actually played three days in a row, and that was really tough. Even though a lot of guys on tour are 40 years younger than me, it makes me appreciate what they and their caddies go through. 

Note: This thread is 902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!