IGNORED

2022 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

Had three good chances at birdie today but only made one. #1 at Green Knoll. Went driver - 3w to the left side fringe. Left the eagle attempt 6' short but made the birdie putt. Missed 8 footers on #5 and #7 today.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Birdied 17 at an away course on Friday. Added that to the sheet.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Birdied 18 at Whispering Woods today after:

• Didn't play the tenth (took a par for GHIN).
  • Missing a 15-footer on 11.
  • Missing a 20-footer on 12.
  • Missing a chip-in on 13 (tap-in par).
  • Missing a 25-footer on 14.
  • Missing a 10-footer on 15.
  • Missing a 10-footer on 16.
  • Missing a 20-footer on 17.

(To be fair [or make an excuse] I didn't warmup putt, and the greens were slow because of the heat, so I kept over-reading the break on the putts.) I hit almost every putt just about how I wanted.

The putt on 18 was about 20 feet. I drove it through the fairway and the ball was about 18" above my feet. I told my playing partner how weirdly good I am from those types of lies. It was also about 10 yards farther than I typically hit the club I used.

Hit it to 20 feet dead online, and he was putting about ten feet behind the hole (he'd already putted out, was just hitting another putt) so I asked him to stop because I wanted to get ONE birdie out of the round. So I'm glad I did.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nabbed a birdie on 8 today, down to 2 left, which of course are 2 of my toughest to birdie.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Positive - I had 8 birdies in my club championship over the weekend (4 new ones this year).

Negative - I doubled hole 18 today when a par would have tied me for first and put me in a playoff for the title. Ugh...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Big C said:

Positive - I had 8 birdies in my club championship over the weekend (4 new ones this year).

Negative - I doubled hole 18 today when a par would have tied me for first and put me in a playoff for the title. Ugh...

Oh man.

But sounds like you played well overall?

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oh man.

But sounds like you played well overall?

I did. 10 GIR on both days. Were it not for a couple blowup holes (two triples in addition the aforementioned closing double), I would have won easily. I need to find a way to get rid of the big numbers….

• Like 1

Two more today, the 3rd and 4th holes. A par 4 and a par 3, I was 3 over on the front 9 and ended up 12 over. I didnt play particularly well but thats two more off the list. 

Made a sweet birdie on 6 today. Went driver, 3-wood, to about 8 feet. Just missed the eagle putt. Easy stress-free tap in birdie. 

Oddly, it was one of only 2 holes that I scored well on all night. I say oddly, because I hit the ball very well today. Just nothing other than this birdie went right. Just one of those days I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Made a pretty tap in birdie on an away course last week: 

Hole 3 on Old Fredrikstad GK, a 520 yards par 5, pretty straight with water left and OB right. It played down wind and the fairway ran pretty fast so it was optimal conditions for a long one off the tee (Smashed it down the right side (353 yards!!) . Only had an AW (149 yards) left (pin short right) for my second and had a 6 footer for eagle. Missed that, but had one of the easier eagles of the year. Two extremely satisfying shots to the green. 

Open photo

Made another birdie there too, on the 15th, a 335 yards long par 4, dogleg right with water left and long left and OB left playing into wind. Hit a smooth 4W 230yards down the middle and a perfect AW to a back right holelocation, that lipped out and almost went in. 5 inch tapin in for a nice 3.  

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

And then there was 1....

Birdied 1 on Sunday, it was a real knee knocker, about 4 inches, can't believe it didn't go in for a 2.   :beer:

• Thumbs Up 3

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 6/1/2022 at 8:46 AM, Jrwatkins7 said:

knocked 2 more off the list this weekend.  three to go...  It seems that every time I play, the pin is tucked on #2, and that is a VERY difficult birdie.  Will have to talk to the greenskeeper and have them set up an easier pin placement on the weekend.  😃

Finally knocked off #2 with a good 10 foot putt.  Unfortunately, I missed both birdie putts I had on #7 and #8 from 12 and 15 feet that would have closed me out for all 18.  Maybe next weekend .

• Thumbs Up 1

Got the easiest one off of my list finally, #9 on my home course. Pulled a 3 wood left again (dead straight, but just left, obviously over the top), it actually hit a pine tree and bounced back towards the fairway. Lucky break that gave me a pretty decent line to the pin. Pitched on to the green, but still had some distance left. Drained the putt without a doubt. I'm starting to get a better feel for the putter, my pace control was better today. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

Two today - 5 which is new and 15 which is not.

23A13601-42FF-4A40-9CD4-54AA2034B1D5.png
#5 was pretty much a perfectly played hole. Hit a long drive down the middle of the fairway followed by a 3/4 wedge to 8’. Had a 3% right to left breaking putt that was a no doubter.

FABD908D-C43B-43A3-8DBF-7D5CE6480A3A.png

Experience has taught me that #15 plays a little long so I went with one more club and hit a shot that started just right of the flag and never left it. Had 2’ for the birdie putt.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I added number 4 last night. It was the only hole I played well all night.

1645905540_2022-07-14(1).jpg.8fd857eb3e7a888bbd92f3e347f8535d.jpg

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Had a great birdie at #6 at Costa Mesa County Club (Los Lagos course) today.  Hit a great drive out into the dogleg (drew the ball and it's a dogleg left, so I got a little closer to the green than a straight drive would have), I hit a great 4-wood to near the green, hit a 35 yard pitch shot to a foot and made the putt.  :-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Eagle Alert!!! Since we have been doing this challenge, I can't remember the last time I had an eagle, but today there were 2! We only have 3 par 5s and I went eagle, birdie (finally knocked this one off), eagle. The rest of the round was pretty tough in the wind so I hit my average 78, but it was a fun round. 

Hole 1 downwind - Driver 280 center cut, 190 front pin hit six iron to 15 feet 

Hole 7 downwind - Driver 275 draw off right side, front mid pin 210 and I short side myself pin high with a 5 iron, flop over bunker from 20 yards to 12 feet 

Hole 14 into breeze - Driver 270, have 210 into wind and hit a slinging 4 iron around the corner to 5 feet 

So I only have 9, 10, 11 left to complete the challenge.  It's funny that they fell quickly last year, but not so much in 2022. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Away course 2 Birdies today, 

Hole 1 - 420 par 4 - hit driver into left bunker and have 180 into elevated green with tree blocking on the left. Hook a 5 iron to 20 feet and make the sidehill putt. 

Hole 5 - par 5 - hit it right off fairway  and lay up to 125. Into the breeze, hit PW above hole into back rough, putt runs down hill and smacks the pin and sticks. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus