IGNORED

Could You Live Without Your Cell Phone?

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can you live without your cell phone?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Another of the conversations I have with my golfing buddies. Could you "go back" to the days of no cell phones?

• I could give up my cell phone tomorrow with no problem.
    • No Way! I can't do without my cell phone.
    • It might suck at the beginning, but I would get over not having it.

This is one of the many conversations I have with golfing buddies while playing. I'm with the "it would suck at first but I would get used to it".

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Am I the only one giving up my cell phone? If so, then no, I couldn't.

If cell phone technology suddenly went out of our conscious minds, then of course we'd adapt. We lived without them before, we could do it again. Shit would suck, comparatively, but we'd not cease to exist as a species or something.

It would suck pretty bad though, so I voted for the second one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

At the risk of opening myself up to more "caveman" comments, I hardly ever carry a cell phone. There are rare occasions when an important call will force me to use a burner phone, but that's it.

Paying for a cell phone offends me and I don't want to be bothered when I'm on my time. 

18 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Paying for a cell phone offends me

Why? Are you offended to pay for a computer? For a TV? For a car? 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Just now, mcanadiens said:

Yes.

It hurts my feelings every single time I reach for my wallet.

Your feelings get hurt when you have to provide someone with money to purchase something you can't otherwise produce yourself. Got it.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

4 minutes ago, klineka said:

Your feelings get hurt when you have to provide someone with money to purchase something you can't otherwise produce yourself. Got it.

Obviously, there are certain things I have to purchase and other things, like expensive cell phones and cell-phone plans, that I don't. That's sort of the point.

21 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Yes.

It hurts my feelings every single time I reach for my wallet.

Do you not use your wallet at the beginning of a round of golf to pay the greens fees?  And at the end of the round to pay your debts?  😀

My cell phone connects me with the world.  News, friends via text.  Multitudes of things via apps. Email for credit card offers.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• Administrator

Guys, it would "hurt" me to pay for a piece of art I don't think I like or need, too. You choose not to pay for some things, as well.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I want to weigh in here on some positive aspects of the smartphone. It has changed the lives of those with disabilities and other health issues, diabetes for instance. Even if you're perfectly healthy it helps you stay that way, and great with preventative stuff.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I pay for everything except lawn mowing.  I like to do that myself.  45 degree hill, good exercise.  All my neighbors use a service.

So you never prepare your own meals?

Clean your own house?

Etc.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

So you never prepare your own meals?

Clean your own house?

Etc.

Okay, you caught me.  It was a sweeping statement.  I enjoy cooking. I clean my own house, but reluctantly.  And I never pay anybody to swing my golf club for me.

I hardly ever use my cell phone.  If I didn't have a laptop, however, I'm certain I would use it all the time.  So it isn't so much about the device, itself, as it is the access it provides.

P.S.  Apologies for the anthropormorphizing.  

Apparently...spell Czech don't know that'n.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

41 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

And I never pay anybody to swing my golf club for me.

That is the one I would be willing to work for you and get paid to do :banana:

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

3 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

This is one of the many conversations I have with golfing buddies while playing. I'm with the "it would suck at first but I would get used to it".

Before I vote I need to ask one question:

Am I the only one going without a cell phone and everyone else gets to have one?
Or, are we going to ban cell phones from everyone, or somehow uninvent them or something like that? 

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I’m not sure how I would function without a smartphone, given the nature of my job. I’m not old enough to have done it before the smartphone days so I literally have no idea what working without one is like.

The phone allows me to be in contact with customers immediately and vice versa, technical support if I encounter issues I need help with, gives me easy access to manuals, and much more.

Definitely the second option for me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!