IGNORED

What Was the Last Ball You Tried and What Is the Ball You Game?

I have some Titleist Tour Speed balls after somehow picking up a slice, I've always had a draw on my drives and fairway woods, and putting a sleeve of them into the weeds. I decided to pick up a dozen of something cheaper until I got things straitened back out. I found the 2020 Taylormade soft response and picked them up. I have to say I really like these balls for $25 a dozen. I may just keep them in the bag even when I have the confidence that my long shots have straitened out which I think they have.

• Administrator

I don't see the need to "try" balls. I play the Snell MTB Black, generally.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Answer is the same for both. Have played a smorgasbord of balls over the years. Probably most often Pro V1x. Haven't played enough the past year or two to warrant having to buy new balls. Plan to play a lot more this year, and did some research on what's out there now. 

Ultimately landed on the Maxfli Tour X. Haven't played a round with them yet, but have hit 100s of shots with them in my home office. They feel great and I'm eager to see how they perform on the course. 

I'll likely be gaming them for a while. Bought 4 dozen on sale for under $100. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

In... I think 2016 or so, I tried Snell's Get Sum balls.  I'm running low on supply and tried, at a friend's suggestion, some Kirkland something or another.  I'm planning to get back to Snell soon.

I think the next new-to-me ball I'll try is the Snell MTB when my swing and game characteristics warrant it over the Get Sum. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The last ball I tried was a Callaway super soft. The ball I primarily use is the cut blue. 

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

I  tried some Oncore elixr balls that one of my golfing buddies gave me. Actually not too bad.  I think I got a little more distance out of them than my usual ball (Snell MTB). I think the Snell is better around the greens and into the greens. I don't think the elixr is a bad ball but I would probably stick with my Snell.  

Edited by Bucki1968
spelling

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 5/1/2022 at 3:26 PM, clhacker said:

I have some Titleist Tour Speed balls after somehow picking up a slice, I've always had a draw on my drives and fairway woods, and putting a sleeve of them into the weeds. I decided to pick up a dozen of something cheaper until I got things straitened back out. I found the 2020 Taylormade soft response and picked them up. I have to say I really like these balls for $25 a dozen. I may just keep them in the bag even when I have the confidence that my long shots have straitened out which I think they have.

You went from urethane to ionomer/surlyn?  Probably just spinning less, right?  I'm hitting Titleist so far this year. Lose less than a ball per round so cost is basically moot.  Superstitous, probably just jinxed my next few rounds.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Floater range balls. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Floater range balls. 

There is a private course that we play once in a while that utilizes these.    I hate them~!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

14 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I  tried some Oncore elixr balls that one of my golfing buddies gave me. Actually not too bad.  I think I got a little more distance out of them than my usual ball (Snell MTB). I think the Snell is better around the greens and into the greens. I don't think the elixr is a bad ball but I would probably stick with my Snell.  

There are some brand names I do not understand, and why one would want a golf ball whose name is close to a synonym for provisional is beyond me. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 hours ago, mohearn said:

You went from urethane to ionomer/surlyn?  Probably just spinning less, right?  I'm hitting Titleist so far this year. Lose less than a ball per round so cost is basically moot.  Superstitous, probably just jinxed my next few rounds.

i was slicing the soft responses too, I think I started going over the top on the swing but seem to have found my old groove again as the ball has its nice draw once again

• Thumbs Up 1

About 5 years ago I started playing the Volvik Vivid. 

I received an 18 pack for my birthday, it had 6 sleeves, each a different color. After some very scientific testing I found that the Sherbet Orange Volvik Vivid was the easiest ball for me to see. So, for the last 5 years I've played those pretty much exclusively. 

Then the end of last year the Srixon Divide in orange and yellow came out. I found them even easier for me to see. So, now I play those exclusively. volvik-vivid.jpg.7d4bf500da176c53125a90d2ee14d1da.jpgsrixon_ball_qstartourdivide_std-04-600x338.jpg.e63172ad235a611e294ce814b3854043.jpg

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I have some of the Divide (orange / yellow) and it's easier for me to find them.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I recently purchased a few dozen Srixon Q Star.  I saw a few boxes of the 2019 version on sale for $20 a dozen, couldn’t resist.  The flight is higher than I like, but they’re good balls otherwise.  I plan to use them on those days where it’s more about drinking with buddies than golfing.

My go to ball has been the Snell MTB (currently Black) for some time now, but I will pick up other balls (TP5X, Z Star, ProV1) when there is a good sale.

Well, I've been trying the cut red for a few rounds and it's definitely in contention for being my main ball. 

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

The last ball I “tried” was the Snell MTB Red and I ended up switching to it from MTB Black.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:00 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

About 5 years ago I started playing the Volvik Vivid. 

I received an 18 pack for my birthday, it had 6 sleeves, each a different color. After some very scientific testing I found that the Sherbet Orange Volvik Vivid was the easiest ball for me to see. So, for the last 5 years I've played those pretty much exclusively. 

Then the end of last year the Srixon Divide in orange and yellow came out. I found them even easier for me to see. So, now I play those exclusively. volvik-vivid.jpg.7d4bf500da176c53125a90d2ee14d1da.jpgsrixon_ball_qstartourdivide_std-04-600x338.jpg.e63172ad235a611e294ce814b3854043.jpg

You’re not allowed to comment about the color of anyone’s belt on this site ever again 😜

• Funny 4

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

22 hours ago, billchao said:

You’re not allowed to comment about the color of anyone’s belt on this site ever again 😜

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."    - Doc Holliday : Tombstone

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 5/4/2022 at 6:00 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Then the end of last year the Srixon Divide in orange and yellow came out. I found them even easier for me to see. So, now I play those exclusively. 

... but don't they seem to distractingly wobble on putts?