IGNORED

TST Explores the ShotScope H4 (Stats Tracking Device) and Pro LX Rangefinder

iacas

• Administrator

I have no plans to stop using it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, jshots said:

Actually that sounds like the way I would like to use it, I assumed you might have GPS issues if it was in the pocket.

I do wait a few seconds for the GPS to dial in since if you are moving there is always a little delay in it posting an accurate number.  Even walking from the cart to the tee box you will see it take a short time to "Dial in" on the yardage. It is fastest enough that it does not impact pace of play, it is simply not "Instantaneous".

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

On 6/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, dennyjones said:

I have an Android and I also have a very difficult time getting my phone and the H4 to sync.      I initially thought that my computer, TV, router, etc. were a problem and went as far as going outside far enough away from the router to sync the H4 with my phone.   I found that if I turn on the Wifi, Location, and Bluetooth it helps.

Wow, I have a low cost Motorola phone (Android) and never had this issue at all. 

• Informative 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 hours ago, jshots said:

My Arccos sub is about to renew and I'm thinking I will cancel it and go with ShotScope. Arccos more expensive than I'd like and misses the mark on a lot of things.

Have any of you given up on the H4 or most are happy with it? I'm not sure about having to either wear it on my belt where I'll have to remove it to see the GPS or throw it on my bag and have to remove it every time I get to the green to use pin collect, seems a bit awkward on the green. How do you carry your H4? 

I may just have to try to get used to wearing a watch.

I’m quite happy with it. As I’ve mentioned previously in the topic, I wear it on my belt with no issues (used to GameGolf Classic) and I take it off the holder to tag my clubs as opposed to bringing my clubs up to tag it in my belt.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 6/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, dennyjones said:

have an Android and I also have a very difficult time getting my phone and the H4 to sync.      I initially thought that my computer, TV, router, etc. were a problem and went as far as going outside far enough away from the router to sync the H4 with my phone.   I found that if I turn on the Wifi, Location, and Bluetooth it helps.

Bluetooth being on is 100% necessary. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

10 hours ago, jshots said:

My Arccos sub is about to renew and I'm thinking I will cancel it and go with ShotScope. Arccos more expensive than I'd like and misses the mark on a lot of things.

Have any of you given up on the H4 or most are happy with it? I'm not sure about having to either wear it on my belt where I'll have to remove it to see the GPS or throw it on my bag and have to remove it every time I get to the green to use pin collect, seems a bit awkward on the green. How do you carry your H4? 

I may just have to try to get used to wearing a watch.

I keep it on my belt. Sometimes my shirt gets in the way but it’s not hard to fix that. I have played with folks who keep it in their pocket and it works just fine for them.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

I used mine for the first time today. I compared the GPS on it to my Garmin and it was reading a little longer than the Garmin and I know the Garmin has been dead nuts. I did wait for it to play catch up and it would but the Garmin is so fast. Anyways, it is definitely something I need to get used to, tapping the club, screwing with the app. I like it. The sats will defiantly come in handy.  There was a few shots it had wrong, it had me holing out a put from 18 yards in the fairway. Maybe I didn't feel the buzz when I pitched it up then I tapped the putter,  one putted so maybe it thought I used the putter from the fairway.  How does it know how far each put was? Like I have a 12 foot put, then hit it to say a foot, how does it know it was 1 foot?  It will show 11 foot putt and a 1 foot putt. I click on the number of putts, but thats all you can do. I really like it though, a new toy.

• Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

BTW, seems like the spell check didn't do its job on my post. Sorry.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

• Administrator
  1. You don’t have to mess with the app while you’re playing.
  2. You tap the number of putts over the hole. It’s GPS so I look over the data on a computer after the round. Adjust putt distances, occasionally the lie when you’re close to a few different areas.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:
  1. You don’t have to mess with the app while you’re playing.
  2. You tap the number of putts over the hole. It’s GPS so I look over the data on a computer after the round. Adjust putt distances, occasionally the lie when you’re close to a few different areas.

I read that "over the hole" part a little while ago. I did it right as I picked up my ball so I suppose I was in close enough proximity. I love this thing. 

• Like 1

I had some weird issues this weekend where it missed entire holes. I had two holes  with no shots recorded yesterday and one from today.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I similarly had some issues recently;  part of it was my own rust, but I had some where I'm sure the GPS part gave me the wrong distance -- one instance I had the right club for distance to the middle of a deep green and ended up overshooting the green by ten yards, and I don't think it was that good of a shot.   Then I discovered after my most recent round that the course had an update available.  

My issue lately -- and I wonder if this is related to that I needed to update the course in the system, although the course hasn't changed -- was that I'd sometimes be on one green and suddenly it thinks I'm on the next tee, or I tag a pin and it misses where the pin is by 10 yards.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

23 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I similarly had some issues recently;  part of it was my own rust, but I had some where I'm sure the GPS part gave me the wrong distance -- one instance I had the right club for distance to the middle of a deep green and ended up overshooting the green by ten yards, and I don't think it was that good of a shot.   Then I discovered after my most recent round that the course had an update available.  

My issue lately -- and I wonder if this is related to that I needed to update the course in the system, although the course hasn't changed -- was that I'd sometimes be on one green and suddenly it thinks I'm on the next tee, or I tag a pin and it misses where the pin is by 10 yards.  

This past Saturday my group "Compared" various measurments on the Par-3 holes.  A Laser, A phone App, My ShotScope and "Walking from the GAM marker to the actual tee location".  The Laser was always different since it was "To the Pin" and not "To the Center' but the other methods were all withing 1 yard long or short of each other.  SS is not "Military Grade GPS" so a little variation is expected and frankly, at my skill level 1 yard longer or shorter is not going to alter my club choice.

I've experienced the same where I am still putting but hit thinks I am at the next tee box.  I go to do the "Pin Collect" and it says I just hit putter on the next tee.  I attributed it to me possibly hitting a button in error while taking it in and out fo my pocket.  On the next tee I just tagged my club and all seemed to fall in line, but I've not edited the round yet so maybe there are some issues yet to be seen.

Stuart M.

2 hours ago, StuM said:

This past Saturday my group "Compared" various measurments on the Par-3 holes.  A Laser, A phone App, My ShotScope and "Walking from the GAM marker to the actual tee location".  The Laser was always different since it was "To the Pin" and not "To the Center' but the other methods were all withing 1 yard long or short of each other.  SS is not "Military Grade GPS" so a little variation is expected and frankly, at my skill level 1 yard longer or shorter is not going to alter my club choice.

I've experienced the same where I am still putting but hit thinks I am at the next tee box.  I go to do the "Pin Collect" and it says I just hit putter on the next tee.  I attributed it to me possibly hitting a button in error while taking it in and out fo my pocket.  On the next tee I just tagged my club and all seemed to fall in line, but I've not edited the round yet so maybe there are some issues yet to be seen.

For the first part, I think it was off by more, but maybe I'm way off on this.  I may check next time I'm in a non-club round and think a pin is in or near the center.  

For the second part, you don't use the magnetized belt clip?  As much as I don't like the angle (compared to GG) for tagging, and end up typically taking the GPS out of its cradle after I see where the ball has finished and tag the unit then, moving my hand to the end of the grip, I find I really like the convenience of having the GPS unit (and the tagging, same thing) so readily accessible. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

39 minutes ago, Shindig said:

For the second part, you don't use the magnetized belt clip?

No, I seem to keep getting a piece of my shirt caught between the club & the unit and almost lost it a couple of time.  I must be a flow learner.  Thus I just keep it in my pocket,

Stuart M.

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

It's a little on the slower side in terms of updating. Like it only pings every second or half second or something, but I often find I have to stand still for a second or two to get a definitive yardage. Honestly I only use it as a backup to my rangefinder or when I need to hit over trees and can't use my rangefinder.

I used to use my Garmin a lot for front/middle/back yardages and used the Shot Scope in a similar way, but these days I tend to use the laser rangefinder on a bunch of stuff to get a better mental picture of my landing area so I don't need the GPS as much anymore.

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

It's a little on the slower side in terms of updating. Like it only pings every second or half second or something, but I often find I have to stand still for a second or two to get a definitive yardage. Honestly I only use it as a backup to my rangefinder or when I need to hit over trees and can't use my rangefinder.

I used to use my Garmin a lot for front/middle/back yardages and used the Shot Scope in a similar way, but these days I tend to use the laser rangefinder on a bunch of stuff to get a better mental picture of my landing area so I don't need the GPS as much anymore.

@billchao do you usually play the same course or do you play many different ones?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

1 minute ago, RFKFREAK said:

@billchao do you usually play the same course or do you play many different ones?

Depends. Why do you ask?

Bill

My Swing Thread