IGNORED

TST Explores the ShotScope H4 (Stats Tracking Device) and Pro LX Rangefinder

iacas

6 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

@billchao do you usually play the same course or do you play many different ones?

Because I'm curious if you use the rangefinder more because you know the course and are familiar with the greens or if there was a different reason.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Because I'm curious if you use the rangefinder more because you know the course and are familiar with the greens or if there was a different reason.

You can use the rangefinder on spots around greens. The H4 gives me front, back, and middle and the rangefinder is usually good enough for that. It’s not as detailed as my Garmin which has the whole green mapped out and I don’t even use that anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 1 month later...

Just got an email about the new feature below 

Aerial-map-view.jpg

Aerial Maps now available on the free Shot Scope mobile app | GPS Distances | Course Strategy | Shot...

• Thumbs Up 2

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator

We have recently released full course aerial maps and this feature is now available to all Shot Scope users via the Shot Scope app. If you own a Shot Scope watch, handheld, or laser rangefinder you can now get access to aerial maps. 

GPS mode allows current Shot Scope users to view an overhead map of the course whilst they play. The GPS distances update as the golfer moves around the course.

In addition, golfers will be able to measure to any point on the course by simply tapping on the map. This allows for players to measure distances to hazards, layup points, and doglegs as well as receiving accurate yardages to the front, middle, and back of every green. 

Preview mode allows golfers to view any course regardless of their location and access a bird’s eye view of every hole. Use this to plan your round before you play and devise a strategy to give yourself the best chance of playing well. 

In this mode you will not be able to access front, middle, and back distances to greens. However, you can measure to points on the course by tapping anywhere on the map. Players will receive distances from the tee box to their chosen point, and from that point to the green.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can try this tomorrow on hole 5 at NKGC when I play with @Bob M. It’s a blind tee shot and there are hazards left and right.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

34 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I can try this tomorrow on hole 5 at NKGC when I play with @Bob M. It’s a blind tee shot and there are hazards left and right.

You can do the preview mode from home.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

12 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I would be more likely to use in "Preview" mode from home.  I try to keep away from the phone on the course.  I know a lot of people use different apps on the phone but I would prefer simply to throw it in the bag on "DND" for the duration of the round.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

15 hours ago, dennyjones said:

It was raining today when we played. I will try again next time.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Has it always displayed SG on individual shots when you look at your rounds on the computer? I don't know how I've never noticed it until today.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
8 hours ago, billchao said:

Has it always displayed SG on individual shots when you look at your rounds on the computer? I don't know how I've never noticed it until today.

I don't think I've noticed that. But I didn't ever really click into a specific hole from the dashboard before. I see where it is there, though.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, billchao said:

It’s been on there since I got the H4 at least. It’s fun, and sometimes depressing, to look at individual shots. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

18 hours ago, DeadMan said:

It’s been on there since I got the H4 at least. It’s fun, and sometimes depressing, to look at individual shots. 

I like to look at the silver lining. Like oh, that shot didn’t cost me nearly as many strokes as I thought it did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I’m impressed with how robust this discussion has been and would appreciate any opinions. If “cost were not an issue” would you still choose the Shot Scope platform (and X5 watch) over Arccos?

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

• Administrator

I would.

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

I’m impressed with how robust this discussion has been and would appreciate any opinions. If “cost were not an issue” would you still choose the Shot Scope platform (and X5 watch) over Arccos?

I’ve never used Arccos so maybe a little lack of actual experience but I would stay with the ShotScope.

First, I do not mind tagging the club and am not sure I would trust the Bluetooth on Arccos to catch every swing, maybe it would, tagging is easy so I’m OK with that.

The Arccos Club tags require occasional battery changes while the SS just needs a recharge of the  GPS unit. I would hate to golf a round and learn later the batteries died.  Also there is on-going cost for the replacement batteries.

I think a lot of it will be personal preference.

Note for @ChetlovesMer: I think I avoided typos above!  At lest that iz mi hope. 🤪

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

1 hour ago, ChiTown said:

I would. I reviewed Arccos for the site when it first came out. It’s improved since then but there are still issues plus the subscription. The H4 tags are much lighter and smaller and stay on well (unlike Game Golf).  Tagging is easy and editing your round is easy. @Bob M has the watch and he likes that too. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

Shot Scope offered existing users a really good deal on the X5 earlier this year when they were first released. Although some reported problems, mine has worked well from the get-go and the firmware updates have been timely and fixed problems which users had experienced. Based on how they have handled the problems several users did report, I would grade Shot Scope's customer support as top notch. 

I have never used Arccos, but having to pay a subscription fee on an ongoing basis was a negative for me. I have always worn a watch when I play anyway, so it feels pretty natural. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

I've been a Shotscope user since the V2 watch, and I would take their platform over any of the other current competitors. Right now I have an H4 handheld, and an X5 watch. I bought the watch with the same offer @Bob M got for existing users, also applied the discount code from the sidebar on this site. I purchased the watch because I kept losing (and finding after searching the course) the H4 handheld. I'm not sure which device I will eventually stick with.

I've used Garmin products before, and I think their watches are really nice. I would rate them as superior to Shotscope from a pure hardware perspective. However the Garmin CT10 tags sucked and cost a lot, and I didn't think the Garmin Golf platform was very good. I have never had an issue with any Shotscope hardware I have used, even if it is a little more "plasticky".

As far as the X5 watch goes, it's not perfect. From a hardware quality perspective, it has a nicer screen, improved strap, and feels solid and well made. I have not had any issues with it, but I find using the touch screen is slower than the 4-button configuration of previous watches and H4 handheld.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1