IGNORED

Michael Breed Bet: Break 80, Par 71, Throwing the Ball

iacas

• Administrator

Let's say it's 6300 yards.

Let's say he takes 30 putts.

That's covering 6300 yards with 49 shots. That's about 130 yards per throw, and that's not counting the holes that are, say, 290 where his third throw is only going to be 30 yards… thus pushing up throwing distance required on other holes.

There may be some holes where he literally can't carry a ravine.

I could make #3 at Whispering Woods a par four length and thus a par 71 and he would take four throws just to get on or near the first hole, a par four.

Someone offered him a $20k bet and to cover his flight at his course, a 6100-yard par-71, and Breed appears to have accepted.

P.S. I submit as evidence (that Michael can't do it):

Even if he could throw it with roll 130+, he has virtually no room to ever miss a throw, and he won't get backspin on an 80-yard throw to stop it close to a front hole location, etc. And this all assumes 30 putts, which is tough, even without risk of three-putting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

absolutely no chance.  just on sheer face value, thats 9 pars and 9 bogies to meet 80, gotta be better to break 80.  I'm imagining putting as either bowling or shuffleboard.....either way i don't see many 1 putts without some significant practice at that motion, so green in regulation on at least half the holes is probably necessary.

Anyone ever stood on a football field, on the goal line and tried to throw a golfball through the opposite goalposts?  I have not but that feels like an incredibly long throw and would only be a 110 yard carry.  Nice Drive.  Now how many 400 yard par 4's are on this course?

Personally I think I'd have a better round using nothing longer than a pitching wedge than being allowed to throw everything

Edited by Friz

-Eric

• Administrator

I LOVE action like this.

We met Michael at Bay Hill during a guys trip and honestly he was bubbly and upbeat but not what he portrays on his show. Nice guy and even had a chip off with us on the wager of loser buys a round of drinks.

All that being said, I dont even think a college or pro baseball player could do it, let alone a dude at or near 60 years old. My shoulder is throbbing just thinking about it. Without getting into the science of velocity and mass, throwing a golfball a long ways just isnt really possible.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

41 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

My shoulder is throbbing just thinking about it. 

This ^^. 

Only way this is doable if he has some trick condition like a 2,500 yards course. And even then he better have a baseball pitchers conditioning to not develop some shoulder condition like capsulitis or what have you.

But hey.. seems like this is happening so color me interested.

On the flip side something tells me he didn't just say it willy nilly.... i.e., he knows something we don't. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Only way this is doable if he has some trick condition like a 2,500 yards course. And even then he better have a baseball pitchers conditioning to not develop some shoulder condition like capsulitis or what have you.

Yeah, but he accepted a bet to a 6100 yard course.

Also, he's not putting with a putter. He's still "throwing" (or likely "rolling") the ball on the putting greens with his hands.

I think he actually thinks he can throw a ball like 150 yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Yeah, but he accepted a bet to a 6100 yard course.

Also, he's not putting with a putter. He's still "throwing" (or likely "rolling") the ball on the putting greens with his hands.

Well then, I guess we are about to find out how solid the laws of physics are.  

And human anatomy, capability.. etc.. lol. 

Vishal S.

I'm honestly fascinated by his confidence in this and I'm glad I saw this thread despite not being very active here.  I don't know the course, but I'm curious about other predictions.  If he is actually doing this on a 6100 yard course, I hope he tries the entire 18 even when he's +9 through 4 holes. 

I'll put early over/under on total Greens in Regulation at 1.5

Over/Under on total holes with less than 2 putts at 4.5 - I'm assuming a lot of holes the eventual approach won't hold the green and he'll have a fair amount of short tosses from greenside rough.  

Over/Under on the hole that he reaches his 80th stroke at 14.5

• Upvote 1

-Eric

When I played baseball growing up, one of the things we’d do for fun was see who could throw a golf ball the farthest. I had a strong arm, but not the strongest, and I topped out at like 70 yards. The longest I ever saw was 90 yards, from a guy who could throw in the low 90s

there is absolutely no way he can break 80

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Seems like throwing a golf ball as far as you can, repeatedly, is a good way to injure your shoulder or elbow.

• Like 2

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Doesn't it seem like this is some type of stunt...they will donate the money to charity or something. Never mind the distance he can throw the ball, don't they have throwing golf tournaments? A google search says the record for an 18 hole score throwing is 82. He's obviously pulling some sort of publicity stunt. And it's working! And yeah, at his age, he will destroy whatever is left of his rotator cuff if he goes max effort 50 times in a couple of hours. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

I’m going to say not breaking 80 and a higher chance of doing damage to the arm/shoulder than breaking 80.

• Funny 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

4 hours ago, iacas said:

That's about 130 yards per throw

The world record for throwing a baseball is 445 feet, 148 yards. The average MLB outfielder can throw from the outfield and make it to home on a bounce or two with a much heavier baseball on a flat field. Breed isn’t playing for the Yankees anytime soon. He’s going to lose that bet.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Feels like breaking 100 would be impressive.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

Seems like throwing a golf ball as far as you can, repeatedly, is a good way to injure your shoulder or elbow.

That’s my first thought, too. Maybe the guy can throw a golf ball 100 yards, but how many times in a row?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, jbishop15 said:

When I played baseball growing up, one of the things we’d do for fun was see who could throw a golf ball the farthest. I had a strong arm, but not the strongest, and I topped out at like 70 yards. The longest I ever saw was 90 yards, from a guy who could throw in the low 90s

there is absolutely no way he can break 80

I was going say exactly this ^^^

I was a collegiate pitcher and a great rule of thumb that I saw hold true time and time again was that 100yds in the air with a baseball meant (barring some awful mechanics) you'd be able to throw 90mph off a mound. 

I could get it right at 100 yds, and I maxed out at 90-91. 

A couple of my teammates could get a bit further, around the 110yd range, and they maxed out in the 92-94 range.

100 yds is a FAR distance to throw any ball period.

No shot he breaks 80

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

21 minutes ago, klineka said:

I was going say exactly this ^^^

I was a collegiate pitcher and a great rule of thumb that I saw hold true time and time again was that 100yds in the air with a baseball meant (barring some awful mechanics) you'd be able to throw 90mph off a mound. 

I could get it right at 100 yds, and I maxed out at 90-91. 

A couple of my teammates could get a bit further, around the 110yd range, and they maxed out in the 92-94 range.

100 yds is a FAR distance to throw any ball period.

No shot he breaks 80

I keep thinking of the amount of prep work he'd have to do, too, just to get his arm and shoulder ready for the strain. It'd take months before he was ready to even try without hurting himself. Throwing a ball 80 times in one day is a lot of times, especially when you're trying to max out distance on almost every single throw 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

31 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

I keep thinking of the amount of prep work he'd have to do, too, just to get his arm and shoulder ready for the strain. It'd take months before he was ready to even try without hurting himself. Throwing a ball 80 times in one day is a lot of times, especially when you're trying to max out distance on almost every single throw 

And he throwing a golf ball, not a baseball! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave