IGNORED

If the British Open Were to Be Restricted to a Single Course, Which Course Would You Select? Why?

British Open Course Preference  

16 members have voted

1. 1. If the British Open were restricted to use one course from now on, which course would you choose and why?

• St Andrews Old Course - Tradition
    • Prestwick - bring it back to where it started
    • Carnoustie - because it’s Carnoustie
    • Royal Troon - the Postage Stamp is exciting
    • Turnberry
    • Muirfield
    • Other - Birkdale, Portrush, etc

I’ve played only four of the Open Rota courses, but really enjoyed Carnoustie the most.  St Andrews Old was great to play from the tradition standpoint, but was nothing exciting. I really liked Turnberry and Troon as well, but Carnoustie was my fav. 

I have not played Prestwick but was told it’s fun to do once, but is also fairly short and nothing special. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wish I was more familiar with The Open rota courses; except for The Old Course they all feel foreign to me. But of the ones listed Carnoustie is my favorite, probably because of the van de Velde drama and more recently Tiger’s near miss.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

The Old, and let them score if the weather lays down, and let them deal with the weather if it doesn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'll agree with @iacas, if there was only one course to be played, I'd prefer it to be the Old Course.  I've only played two current rota courses, the Old and Carnoustie, and the Old is infinitely more charming, even though Carnoustie is much much tougher.  I've also played the other two original rota courses, Musselburgh (9 holes with hickory-shafted clubs) and Prestwick (completely different from the original 12-hole layout).  This summer I'll get to play three more, Troon, Turnberry, and Muirfield, which could make me rethink my opinion.   

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'm picking Troon. 

St Andrews makes sense and so does Prestwick or Carnoustie. There are more arguments I think to select Prestwick or St Andrews. 
But I like Troon and always look forward to when The Open is held there. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I would say the Old Course for the History, but I might change my opinion after I get back in July, after having a chance to play several of them with @DaveP043.

• Like 2

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 4 weeks later...

From a tradition standpoint, Old Course. Our guide in Scotland said Muirfield was the best course in Scotland. We did not play there so I can’t select that venue.

Brian Kuehn

Based on last year's finish - The Old course, it seems can drum up as much drama as any other course. It already has the pedigree. 

Vishal S.

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Augusta National

Just one small problem…. Not a links course!?

Stevie T

Tough one, because the thing I enjoy most about, and at the Open, is when the course is difficult and the weather in full force, with final scores over par.  But I've often felt like Carnoustie--which is probably the toughest rota track IMO, can play a little unfair at times--so I voted Troon.  I like Troon's layout (has the most variance, to me), so I find it the most interesting--and is plenty difficult, particularly when the weather is poor.

Hard to vote against the birthplace, because the first track I'd probably look to play over there is St. Andrews--but honestly it just seems like (didn't go back and check, so take that fwiw) that the weather has been quite accommodating in recent memory, and the players eat it up.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

38 minutes ago, Beastie said:

Just one small problem…. Not a links course!?

I don't see a problem with that 😁

• Funny 1

Colin P.