IGNORED

2023 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

I added a birdie on number 9 last night. 368 Yard, Par-4.

I hit a beautiful drive that ran out of fairway, rolled into the rough. I hit 54 degree wedge to a couple of inches. I thought it was going to drop in for eagle, but didn't quite. A tap-in birdie is all good though. 

2023-06-22.thumb.png.93de9ec003872965a327ba95c8421a65.png

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/20/2023 at 10:48 AM, tristanhilton85 said:

Obviously a bit late signing up for this one as half the year is gone, but I'm going to try it anyways as it seems like I'm going to be able to play a little bit more. I don't have a "home" course anymore as I'll be playing once every week or so, but at multiple different courses.I likely won't have more than 5 or 6 rounds at any particular course.

I got off to a decent start yesterday and had 2 birdies on the Gary Player Course at Mission Hills (numbers 13 and 15). I don't think that I'll be able to get all 18 (or even 18 birdies, regardless of the hole) but it'll be fun to see what I can accomplish.

It's funny how quickly things can change. At the beginning of 2022 I had joined a private club and was there for about 4 months. The reason that I left was that my mother in law passed and as she was the primary care giver for our kids, my wife and I made the decision for her to quit her job. At the time, it didn't make sense to continue paying for the membership and I resigned.

Fast forward to the present and things are set up where I can play a bit more again and the boys are starting to show an interest. I wasn't sure that they'd go for it, but I emailed my club to see if they'd allow me to resume my membership without having to pay a new initiation fee or something like that, and to my surprise they agreed.

I should be able to play an average of twice a week now without too much of an issue and now will have a home course. Hopefully with the increase in play and the consistency in location, I can complete this challenge.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Hole 6, a 510 or so yard par 5.  90 degree dogleg right.  Great drive put me in a position to have a go at the green.  Maybe 220 or so out.  Hit my 4 hybrid and it dropped a about 5 or 10 yards short of the green.  Good chip put me maybe 10 feet away and I made the putt.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Got a new one this week (and a couple repeats).  I’m a bit surprised I haven’t knocked out a couple of the easier ones yet.

On 6/11/2023 at 11:41 AM, TourSpoon said:

Today saw a kick-in from a foot on 14 and then I finally made one at 16 to check that box. Sixteen is par 3 over a swamp at a 175 and has a severely sloping green. I hit 7 iron 15 feet left of the red flag (playing 163) and had a right to left putt across the slope that broke 18 inches into the top of the cup. 

3 more to go?  Nice

• Administrator

Went out to play today knowing we might not get them all in and… got four holes in.

Fortunately, #4 was one of the holes I needed, and I hit a good hybrid to the far side of the fairway, a 60° from 73 yards to about five feet, and canned the putt for a birdie to knock that hole off the list.

Just these remain:

1 8 10 13 14 17 18
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Played in a tournament this past Saturday. Made 5 birdies and somehow only knocked off one hole from my Away Course total. Won four skins however. 😁

Have two holes remaining to complete the challenge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator

Birdied 9 and 18 today on an away course. Already had both of them. Need these…

1 4 6 11 12 17

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Knocked off #12 today! Two-putt birdie on a par five into which I hit a 7I.

Only birdie of the day. Glad I could make it count.

• Thumbs Up 1

11th hole.  Short par 5 of around 500 yards or so.  Hit a good driver which went into a fairway bunker.  From there caught a 4 hybrid clean and got the ball to inside 50 yards.  Amazing SW shot dropped the ball to inside 5 feet for sure.  Maybe 2 or 3 feet.  Easy putt.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator

So… @DrizZzY and I show up on the first tee for our 7:30 tee time at about 7:16. We wait until 7:34 for TWO groups, one of whom was already off the tee, to play. I hit a heel cut out there about 245… and had 179 in. Then we waited in the fairway for awhile. I hit a slightly thin 6I to about 15 feet shy of the hole. The group in front of us took almost 40 minutes to play 1 and 2.

So, we skipped to 8, but knew we would end up at the range after 9. So we kinda half-assed 8 and 9 (I hit a tee shot on 9 and picked up), and went to the range.

After spending some time at the range, we took a range ball (so we could feel free to exaggerate something on the course without losing a Snell or Titleist), and I proceeded to hit a nice draw with a 3W off 17, and a chippy 9I from 136 downhill (but into the breeze).

On 18, I hit a massive toe ball into the right bunker (it tried to draw), chip punched a hybrid from there to the rough around a bunker short of the green, and chipped it to 3 feet. Tapped in with the toe of the wedge lefty for a par.

Oh, the putt on 1? Made it. The 9I on 17? Hit it to literally a foot. The range ball spun back a few feet. 😉 So, I played four holes… and made two birdies on two of the holes I haven't birdied yet for the challenge, leaving me with "only":

8 13 14 18

Wooo! (We had forgotten we kinda played 8 and 9, so standing on 18 tee I said "54 watch!" because I thought for a minute I had birdied 2 of the 2 holes we'd played that day. 😄 

Birdies #14 at my home course, the #1 handicap on the course.
30 ft put for birdie!

• Thumbs Up 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

223 off the toe, 8 iron in and made the 21 footer for birdie. Lucky roll I was just trying to get it to tap in range.  Finished the night at 5 over once again.

image.thumb.png.2062eeb3aa9cf5881fafa9ed212f3baf.png

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Knocked one more off yesterday on hole #9 from my Away course.

One more left #5.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jim Morgan

“Away Challenge” completed! Now I need to concentrate on improving my miserable results at my “Home” course. I am not a member or season pass holder so I just don’t play there enough and/or I am not competent enough to put up a lot of birdies.

p.s @sjduffers, please take note, 😉

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Thumbs Up 4

Brian Kuehn

Two birdies today. Tap-in from 100 yards on #9 which is new and a 5-footer from 150 on #12 which is not.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

“Away Challenge” completed! Now I need to concentrate on improving my miserable results at my “Home” course. I am not a member or season pass holder so I just don’t play there enough and/or I am not competent enough to put up a lot of birdies.

p.s @sjduffers, please take note, 😉

Congrats, well done!

See? I did take note. 😜.  I am not doing very well, either at the home course or away (which is really more or less another home course...): I have lots of birdies, many times 2 or 3 per round, but they are always on the same holes, so that does not help my cause on either spreadsheet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Completed the Away Challenge yesterday with a birdie on the par 5 fifth hole at Smithfields CC. 

I also made an eagle on the par 4 seventh pitching in from 50 yards. Funny as I already eagled the 7th on a different course earlier this year. It was more traditional, hitting par 5 in two and making the putt.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jim Morgan

I have had a mess of birdies the last week or so but not where I need them. I hope this doesn't consume my every waking thought when playing these last 3 holes....🤣

I have #4 which is a tight little par 5 (500 yards and plenty of water) with a postage green with a wicked slope, #11 which is a dog leg left par 4 (380) with a huge green, and the par 4 #18 that plays 430 into the wind with an elevated green. LFG! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus