IGNORED

Etiquette Violations (and Other Things) That Bug You

iacas

15 minutes ago, dsc123 said:

Another is the guy who feels like its his place to police other people's etiquette.  I tend to run into olds like that in club tourneys.  

I hope I am not "That Guy" you mention but I may occasionally say some smart-ass comment such as "You may not know this, but that is not a self-raking bunker" when they fail to rake.  And of course who can't resist the "While we're young" comment to the guy taking 15 practice swings.  OK, maybe I am "That Guy", sorry.

• Funny 3

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/4/2023 at 9:29 PM, iacas said:

And do what with it (on tee boxes that don't have a little box for them)?

I appreciate them, as I'll use the broken tees on par threes or any par four that isn't a driver.

This is spot on!  It’s frustrating having no broken tees laying on a tee box and then you just proceed breaking a new one anyway.  

So we got people who get mad about broken tees left on the tee box. People that get mad because there are not any broken tees on the tee box. I got your tees right here pal. LOL

download.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Funny 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Administrator
5 hours ago, snapfade said:

People that get mad because there are not any broken tees on the tee box.

I wouldn't go anywhere near that far, no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Our twosome caught up with a foursome on the last hole as a bad thunderstorm was approaching. We were hustling to finish before it hit, but they were taking mulligans both on their approach shots and even worse on their putts. We let a single join up with us for that last hole since we had to wait on both tee and approach shots as the storm closed in. They blew the horn just after we hit our approach shots and the bottom fell out by the time we got to the car.  It didn't need to be that close. In any other weather it wouldn't have been so bad, but tonight it was annoying. 

• Thumbs Up 1

War Eagle!

• Administrator

I'm less bothered by it more now (except from people who should know better), but it used to bug me when people would say "great shot" when you hit a thin toe-draw that happened to bounce and roll up onto the green or something.

You know you hit it like crap, and they're telling you "great shot." It could be grating.

I have a funny story about it from New Jersey, with @Rafcin… he bladed a ball through a creek to about 60 feet away, and the woman exclaimed "great shot!" and meant it. Thereafter, every time he hit a terrible shot, I would say "great shot!" (and not mean it).

• Funny 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm less bothered by it more now (except from people who should know better), but it used to bug me when people would say "great shot" when you hit a thin toe-draw that happened to bounce and roll up onto the green or something.

I can be bad about this. I tend to be too effusive with stuff like this, although I think I've toned it done recently. I also try not to say it too much when I'm playing with good players.

The worst part is that I will sometimes get annoyed when it happens to me.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Having lived in South Korea, the good side, I heard good shot after each and every shot, tee to green. No matter where, no matter who you played with. I think they teach that in golf school right after they teach the grip. Seems they also teach, any ball found, regardless of where you found it, it is yours, pick it up. I think that's taught during the rules of the game class. Don't get me started in preferred lies. Come to think of it, Lydia Ko found out the hard way.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

When someone says "Good Shot" after I make a terrible strike but end up fine, I usually say, "Thank you, but that was a good result, not a good shot."

Brian Kuehn

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

I can be bad about this. I tend to be too effusive with stuff like this, although I think I've toned it done recently. I also try not to say it too much when I'm playing with good players.

The worst part is that I will sometimes get annoyed when it happens to me.

Every now and then, I'll forget about this when I play with someone I don't know who turns out to have a handicap in the low single digits.  They'll hit shots that I think are great, but are clearly under their standard.  It happens to me also;  I especially remember the summer my handicap dropped from 19 to 14, and by the end of the summer, I had 'bad' shots that I would have considered good shots a few months prior, and would hear "great shot!"  

Maybe that's something I should figure out:  when to say "great shot."

On a related note, one of my favorite stories from two years ago was when a friend gave me a look during a tournament that said he wasn't about to say great shot.  It was the club championship two years ago, and I told him after a practice round that I'd be aiming well past any forward pin all tournament and left of any right-side pin.  Sure enough, we're in the same group on the first day, and on the first par-3, the pin is front-right.  I aim middle of the green and mis-hit the shot, which resulted in having a one-foot birdie putt.  The other two in the group told me it was a great shot (I said thank you) but he just gave me that look.

• Funny 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 7/18/2023 at 9:56 PM, iacas said:

Two out of the three holes-in-one that I have witnessed were of this variety. Only one was a well struck shot but they all had great results! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On 7/13/2023 at 2:36 PM, snapfade said:

So we got people who get mad about broken tees left on the tee box. People that get mad because there are not any broken tees on the tee box. I got your tees right here pal. LOL

download.jpg

Oh my, those are terrible. 

To your point, I used to play a course that had these little containers by each par-3 tee marker. And people would drop their broken tees in there. That way they didn't leave em lying all over the teebox, but you could find a broken tee if you wanted one. It was actually kind of convenient. But you don't see it very often. 

On 7/18/2023 at 9:56 PM, iacas said:

You know you hit it like crap, and they're telling you "great shot." It could be grating.

I have a funny story about it from New Jersey, with @Rafcin… he bladed a ball through a creek to about 60 feet away, and the woman exclaimed "great shot!" and meant it. Thereafter, every time he hit a terrible shot, I would say "great shot!" (and not mean it).

My league golf partner does this. But in fairness, he's legit happy for you. Sometimes I see people give him a sideways glance. 

The other thing he does is when a long putt is rolling he'll say "Get there... Get there... Get there..." He even says it when it's obvious the ball is going to roll way past the hole. He tells me it's just what he says. He means get near the hole, but it comes out sounding odd sometimes. And I've seen him get sideways glances. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 7/19/2023 at 8:15 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

When someone says "Good Shot" after I make a terrible strike but end up fine, I usually say, "Thank you, but that was a good result, not a good shot."

If someone seems upset or annoyed about their shot but the result ends up good, my go-to compliment is usually, "Good miss" for that reason. 

My personal etiquette pet peeve is a little bit backwards in that it's an established tradition that I dislike, but the people who strictly follow the "honors" system on tee boxes in casual rounds when players of different lengths off the tee are grouped together. I've had scenarios before where I made a birdie on the previous hole and had to wait on the next teebox for the group ahead to move up, while others in my group could have teed off safely but waited specifically because of the birdie. It usually just results in the group falling a bit behind, and I suppose is just a specific instance of disliking it when people don't play ready golf.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

If someone seems upset or annoyed about their shot but the result ends up good, my go-to compliment is usually, "Good miss" for that reason. 

My personal etiquette pet peeve is a little bit backwards in that it's an established tradition that I dislike, but the people who strictly follow the "honors" system on tee boxes in casual rounds when players of different lengths off the tee are grouped together. I've had scenarios before where I made a birdie on the previous hole and had to wait on the next teebox for the group ahead to move up, while others in my group could have teed off safely but waited specifically because of the birdie. It usually just results in the group falling a bit behind, and I suppose is just a specific instance of disliking it when people don't play ready golf.

We don't use the honor system, we play first guy to stick his tee in the ground hits first. You want to fill up your water bottle, or whatever that's on you regardless of what you got on the last hole. Fairway is the same way, first man to get to his ball has the honors. We are normally trying to beat the incoming storm every afternoon, so we save time when we can. Oh, if your ball goes off line, you are on your own, no body is going to help you look for it unless we wind up in the same vicinity, chances are its wet anyways on our course so hit a provisional and move out.  Ready golf. Tournaments are a different story of course. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I usually say, That works! Same reasoning. 

I've had scenarios before where I made a birdie on the previous hole and had to wait on the next teebox for the group ahead to move up, while others in my group could have teed off safely but waited specifically because of the birdie.

It's nice to be recognized for a birdie, but sometimes you have to say that you are forgoing honors because you can't hit just yet. I am not sure how you say let the little dogs eat first but I get the point you are making. 

28 minutes ago, snapfade said:

We don't use the honor system, we play first guy to stick his tee in the ground hits first.

This is the same, but I will defer to the Birdie boy. If you make a par, no one really cares because we are hitting when ready. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

"Honors" and "Being Away" can frustrate. At the green I may have a bunker shot that I leave far from the pin and I am still "Away" and there is this guy on my league that will wait for me to rake the bunker and go to my ball to putt before he will even begins to line-up his putt.  That is a pure waste of time.  And he is the same guy that wants "Honors" but is not ready to hit at the next tee.  He gets mad at me when I tee it up while he is messing around at the cart with no club in his hand.  If you want "Honors" then MOVE!

Edited by StuM
Changed "green" to "pin" in the 2nd sentence.
  • Like 2

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 hours ago, StuM said:

"Honors" and "Being Away" can frustrate. At the green I may have a bunker shot that I leave far from the pin and I am still "Away" and there is this guy on my league that will wait for me to rake the bunker and go to my ball to putt before he will even begins to line-up his putt.  That is a pure waste of time.  And he is the same guy that wants "Honors" but is not ready to hit at the next tee.  He gets mad at me when I tee it up while he is messing around at the cart with no club in his hand.  If you want "Honors" then MOVE!

Ask him to rake while you prepare to putt.

I typically will rake for someone to move things along or putt while the other player rakes and goes to his ball. Tournaments and casual rounds. The guy may be so clueless as to not think about how his actions or inaction slows thing down.

Yes, the “Am I away?” guy. If someone asks me, unless their putt might inform me, I just tell them I will go. Honors on the tee? If they aren’t pulling off the head cover and walking to the tee in 10-15 seconds, they go second. He has a problem with that, I will nicely explain how we hit when ready and if he wants “honors” he needs to move promptly when it his turn.

@StuM, you have it right - MOVE. 😉

Edited by bkuehn1952
Add info

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Yeah, that can be annoying. Hell, in our groups, people often just go in whatever order. We know someone made a birdie, but if they're more than two seconds behind… they won't be hitting first.