IGNORED

Reserving a Tee Time for 3 or 4 When You Have 2

bkuehn1952

Reserving a tee time for more players than you will have  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is it wrong/impolite to intentionally book a tee time for more players than you know you will have?

• Yes
    • Yes unless you pay for all the spots
    • No
    • Maybe/Depends

I signed up for the 1st tee time of the day with an unknown threesome. When I arrived there was just a twosome. They told me they did not want another twosome signing up to slow them down when I asked about the third. They obviously did not anticipate a single (me πŸ˜‰) signing up. And a walker!

I know they did not pay for three. I assume they called and made a reservation and then said the third couldn’t make it when they checked in. The course should have made them pay. I also think it is crappy to intentionally block out a spot or two with the intention of limiting the size of the group. Even if you pay for the spots, it is ultimately denying players access to the course.

Go join a private club if you don’t want others to join you.

Β 

p.s. They informed me at the first tee thatΒ they played fast.Β I said if I could not keep up, they were free to leave me behind. I had no problem keeping up and sometimes waited on them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Were they nice enough to play with, or were they pains in the butt? Β I voted straight yes, because even paying for the other slot it’s still depriving someone of a time that they could otherwise play. Β In other words, it’s not right to block someone who could have played because you just don’t want to play with other people. Β 
Β 

maybe when the course has open times, in your case it’s early morning. Β Prime tee times. Β I get why people might not want to team up, but you really need to get over yourself unless you want to come when the course isn’t busy.

there are plenty of people I’m sorry into have had to put up with. Β  That’s part of life, and a shared place like a golf course doesn’t mean you get to refuse to play with others. Β  I’ve also met some really great people getting paired up, so you never know what someone is like until you are a few holes in.

• Thumbs Up 1

β€”Adam

Β 

I vote β€œYes”. Β It hurts the course financially as well as other golfers. Β Golf is s social game, learn to accept others!

my wife hates getting paired up so we do late tee times when the course is less likely to be crowded when she plays. Β Even then sometimes we get paired up and deal with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.
Β 

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* /Β 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBOREΒ XLS / 4,5 & 6Β Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI /Β Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD /Β Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 /Β Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* /Β Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7SΒ /Β Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: LabattΒ Blue (or anything nice & cold)Β 

53 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

Were they nice enough to play with, or were they pains in the butt? Β 

Nice enough. I did not talk a lot since as soon as I teed off, I was on the move. They were always shorter off the tee so I had few problems getting to my ball before they were done but there was not a lot of chatting.

Brian Kuehn

I figured @boil3rmak3rΒ made this post….πŸ˜ƒ

• Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I voted "Yes unless you pay for all the spots".

If a twosome is willing to double their greens fees so they can play alone, I think that is kind of dumb, but I don't have a problem with it.

Intentionally overbooking only to cancel at check-in is BS. Most courses around me have 24-48 hour cancellation policies and they require credit card to make a reservation, although I think enforcing "no show" fees is up to the discretion of the employee in the pro shop (there could be legitimate reasons for last minute changes).

-Peter

• :titleist:Β TSR2
  • :callaway:Β Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg:Β GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon:Β ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:Β  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

14 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I voted "Yes unless you pay for all the spots".

If a twosome is willing to double their greens fees so they can play alone, I think that is kind of dumb, but I don't have a problem with it.

Ditto. Course still makes the same amount of money and actually has slightly less wear and tear. Don't see the harm in this.Β 

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)Β Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β :titleist: SM9 54/58 Β 
Putter:Β :tmade:Β Spider X

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Ditto. Course still makes the same amount of money and actually has slightly less wear and tear. Don't see the harm in this.Β 

It is hard to argue about this if you pay but I still do not like it. Β Most of our local courses are jammed and this would knock a couple golfers out of a round.

Also, a twosome between numerous foursomes is going to wait a lot. Β And if I am in position just behind another foursome who is in position behind yet another foursome I am not letting the twosome play through just so I can wait on them. Β Playing through only works if there is a gap ahead to fill.Β 

Stuart M.
Β 

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* /Β 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBOREΒ XLS / 4,5 & 6Β Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI /Β Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD /Β Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 /Β Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* /Β Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7SΒ /Β Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: LabattΒ Blue (or anything nice & cold)Β 

I voted yes. Β Having that said, I’ve booked a foursome when I’ve had a threesome several times in order to secure the tee time while having sincere hopes of filling the fourth. The majority of the time, I get the slot filled, but a few times not. If not able to fill the fourth, I’ve given the course advanced notice of it. That’s not the way the question reads as I didn’t β€œknow” I wouldn’t have the fourth.

I’ve never booked a foursome having only two committed at the time of making the reservation

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

I said maybe. I’ve booked four spots expecting to have the fourth show up. If I know beforehand, I will call and change the number.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

24 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I said maybe. I’ve booked four spots expecting to have the fourth show up. If I know beforehand, I will call and change the number.

I have no issue with what you indicated. Β You tried to get a 4th then advised the course when you did not. Β Totally different from no intent to fill the slot.

• Informative 1

Stuart M.
Β 

14 minutes ago, StuM said:

I have no issue with what you indicated. Β You tried to get a 4th then advised the course when you did not. Β Totally different from no intent to fill the slot.

I agree. Most of the time, I am going to the 11th hour trying to find a 2nd or 4th for a tee time. I know courses are like, please give us 48 hours. I feel that is a bit unreasonable. Golf is social, and I rather play with people I know.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

19 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I agree. Most of the time, I am going to the 11th hour trying to find a 2nd or 4th for a tee time. I know courses are like, please give us 48 hours. I feel that is a bit unreasonable. Golf is social, and I rather play with people I know.Β 

When I first started I did not know any one who golfed and hoped to get paired up. Β Met many nice people and now call a few friends all these years later.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.
Β 

As someone who works at a golf course, this practice is extremely irritating. It causes us to miss out on revenue and it also makes it so others miss out on the opportunity to play.

Side note: I really enjoy adding people from the waiting list to groups that do this.Β 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Funny 1

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Just now, NM Golf said:

As someone who works at a golf course, this practice is extremely irritating. It causes us to miss out on revenue and it also makes it so others miss out on the opportunity to play.

Side note: I really enjoy adding people from the waiting list to groups that do this.Β 

The courses in our area do not get that level of play. Maybe only weekend mornings. If it is the afternoon, or any weekday that doesn't have league play, you can see 2, 3 or 4-somes out on the course.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The courses in our area do not get that level of play. Maybe only weekend mornings. If it is the afternoon, or any weekday that doesn't have league play, you can see 2, 3 or 4-somes out on the course.Β 

I work at the busiest golf course in New Mexico. We do over 150,000 rounds a year. We take tee times 7 days in advance we will be booked solid from 6:30-10:00am by 8:00am the week before.Β 

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Ah-hah! I see you're double dipping in 'enemy territory'! 🀐 I see nothing...

Β 

And you've already seen my responses,,,,

10 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Exactly- If someone asks to only be a two, they would get a blank stare and a "No", then be introduced to the 2some they will be joining. Especially on a busy weekend.