IGNORED

2024 Changes to the World Handicap System (WHS)

DaveP043

24 minutes ago, StuM said:

Question: Last year I did not post any scores to GHIN due to an injury.  I have not yet posted this year.

i reactivated my GHIN membership today.  I have my. scorecards for all rounds this year going back to April 16th.

i know we are to post immediately, but I did not.

should I post my rounds from earlier this year or just start posting going forward?

If you have the scorecards and the dates that you played, I would post them. 

I don't know what the "official" right thing to do is, that's just what I would do.

The main reason you're supposed to post on the day you play is so that the PCC (if applicable) can be applied because I believe those are only applied when you post scores the day that you play them.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, StuM said:

Question: Last year I did not post any scores to GHIN due to an injury.  I have not yet posted this year.

i reactivated my GHIN membership today.  I have my. scorecards for all rounds this year going back to April 16th.

should I post my rounds from earlier this year or just start posting going forward?

20 minutes ago, klineka said:

If you have the scorecards and the dates that you played, I would post them. 

I don't know what the "official" right thing to do is, that's just what I would do.

The main reason you're supposed to post on the day you play is so that the PCC (if applicable) can be applied because I believe those are only applied when you post scores the day that you play them.

I agree, if you played by the rules, with someone else, in an acceptable format, post the scores.  If you want an official response, you should be able to write to your state golf association .

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

4 hours ago, StuM said:

I know the appropriate thing to do is to post on the day you played, but I think posting after the fact is better than not posting at all.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

There was a P.C.C. at Eagle Sticks Saturday of +1. I posted from the hotel Saturday night so I made my small contribution to the +1.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

7 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

There was a P.C.C. at Eagle Sticks Saturday of +1. I posted from the hotel Saturday night so I made my small contribution to the +1.

That may have been to offset my error in the HCPs for that day??? 😁

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Yeah. It's helpful that you (general you, since you and I both did it, and I know @Hardspoon did, and I'm sure others did too) post the DAY OF and not wait until the next day or even later.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I posted as well, I hope most of us did.  I'm still not sure the PCC system makes a significant difference, but it certainly won't work as intended if golfers don't post on the day of play.  

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

28 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I posted as well, I hope most of us did.  I'm still not sure the PCC system makes a significant difference, but it certainly won't work as intended if golfers don't post on the day of play.  

There was a PCC of +3 at Talamore the day I played in Pinehurst! Somehow that course was killing us all, lol. 

If it is still the best 10 out of 20, So, it would amount to .1. It matters more if you end up with like 5 out of 10 of your counted differentials having PCC. That could equal a full stroke. 

Yea, I think it will influence handicaps like 0 to let's say 2 for handicaps. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

If it is still the best 10 out of 20, So, it would amount to .1. It matters more if you end up with like 5 out of 10 of your counted differentials having PCC. That could equal a full stroke. 

It changed to the best 8 of the last 20, in the 2020 changes.  When I attended a Handicapping Workshop in 2020, we were told that they anticipated that the PCC would apply in about 10% of the rounds.  That's about what I see now, maybe slightly more often since the algorithm was tweaked not long ago.  And remember, the PCC will adjust MOST of the scores on a given day towards the mean.  With a positive PCC (more high scores), most players scores wouldn't be in the best 8/20 even with the PCC, so the impact is nothing, although the few players who had a good day will see the impact on their HI increased.   I believe it will be very rare that a player has even two scores in their best 8 with any kind of PCC.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

15 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I've only seen one positive PCC since it began, a +3 during a tournament on a tough, firm course with the wind blowing at least 30 mph. A scratch golfer got so frustrated he pulled out after 9. Sadly, the +3 did nothing for me as I was a good 10-12 strokes above the score counting.

Currently 3 of my last 7 scores have a negative PCC. Of course, all 3 of those are in my best eight. I'm puzzled, as the wind was blowing pretty good on at least two of those rounds.

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

It changed to the best 8 of the last 20, in the 2020 changes.  When I attended a Handicapping Workshop in 2020, we were told that they anticipated that the PCC would apply in about 10% of the rounds.  That's about what I see now, maybe slightly more often since the algorithm was tweaked not long ago.  And remember, the PCC will adjust MOST of the scores on a given day towards the mean.  With a positive PCC (more high scores), most players scores wouldn't be in the best 8/20 even with the PCC, so the impact is nothing, although the few players who had a good day will see the impact on their HI increased.   I believe it will be very rare that a player has even two scores in their best 8 with any kind of PCC.  

I guess someone decided to do more work for little benefit then. 

I might be the lucky one then. I have a +3 and a +1 on my counted scores. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

13 minutes ago, gbogey said:

I've only seen one positive PCC since it began, a +3 during a tournament on a tough, firm course with the wind blowing at least 30 mph. A scratch golfer got so frustrated he pulled out after 9. Sadly, the +3 did nothing for me as I was a good 10-12 strokes above the score counting.

Currently 3 of my last 7 scores have a negative PCC. Of course, all 3 of those are in my best eight. I'm puzzled, as the wind was blowing pretty good on at least two of those rounds.

Yeah, negative PCC days are more likely to be counted in the best 8, but the PCC decreases the downward impact of these scores, as it increases your posted differential.  As for the conditions, it really is funny how the scores posted don't always reflect what seem like tough conditions.  

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I guess someone decided to do more work for little benefit then. 

I might be the lucky one then. I have a +3 and a +1 on my counted scores. 

Its clear that you thrive in difficult conditions.  

Dave

• Administrator
2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

It's 8 of 20, and most of the times with PCCs aren't among the eight, so it has no effect on your index.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Pretty straightforward IMO.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

One thing that isn't straightforward is that your differential won't necessary match a golf score. For example, on the course/tees I played last weekend a 79 is a 6.9 differential and an 80 is a 7.7. We had to stop after 15 due to lightning and my differential was a 7.3, which is the equivalent of shooting 79.4. Statistically it makes sense but intuitively it took me a minute to get it.

Of course, the USGA may be aware that occasionally I don't finish my putting stroke.