IGNORED

Ian Poulter - Ass

iacas
Note: This thread is 2017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, Shorty said:

He has a reputation as an incredible team and match player and has done more than "nothing". 

He has won a lot less than you'd think you'd have to to have the millions he has - I don't think his clothing business could be THAT profitable - but he's one of those guys whose attitude just sticks in the craw and they never get over it. A bit like people whingeing about

I believe his clothing business shut down. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, JxQx said:

Those emotions had little to do with making the putt and more so to do with making it into the masters/winning the tournament. I feel like most animated people would be pretty amped and act similarly given the circumstances.

Absolutely, winning (1st time in 6 yrs) would have meant a great deal to him. Given what happened last week, he probably wasn't counting anything until his putt went in. Sure, he must finally have known he had it when beau didn't chip for bogey, but he's hardly going to celebrating at that point. 

19 hours ago, turtleback said:

Why would anyone get excited and emotional when they win for the first time in 6 years and that gets them into the Masters?  I doubt the emotion was about the putt, it was about the win.

Would those douche bags include the Americans who ran all over the green after Justin Leonard's big Ryder Cup putt?  When the match was still ongoing?  

Yes...it could be some of those Americans. Again...I am referring to an article I read. Not calling Ian Poulter or any other European Ryder Cup player a douche bag. Like I stated earlier, at the end of the day it's a bunch of millionaires who act like they didn't know the camera was on them or what they said or did was taken out of context. It's a product of a new generation that I am not familiar with as far as they're actions. I do know a few tour players who have mentioned the guys on tour that they think are assholes. Not naming names or attempting to drag anyone through the mud.  

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

8 hours ago, NEhomer said:

You had to write it twice because it's retarded. Please point out where I remotely suggested that all players showing emotion on the last hole are disingenuous unless the putt they just made was difficult. In Ben's case, he carried Harvey Penick's coffin that week.

Players who's win is pre-determined prior to holing out don't generally go all intensity dude on the shot. That's all I'm saying and at that, I copped to quite possibly mis-reading the whole thing. 

You said "I would have no problem if his emotions were genuine."  That's waht I am taking issue with. How was he not genuine? That is the authentic Poulter.

I am struggling to see why you think his emotions were not genuine. The win has turned his fortunes around and he was pumped up.

Crenshaw's was an outpouring of grief. Both extreme expressions. One heartbreaking (which made me and millions cry) and one which was expected and perhaps over the top. 

But, both genuine. That's the way Poulter is. It may seem distasteful, but when American players carry on like that in Ryder Cup people seem to love it. They admire the "passion". 

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

6 minutes ago, Shorty said:

You said "I would have no problem if his emotions were genuine."  That's waht I am taking issue with. How was he not genuine? That is the authentic Poulter.

I am struggling to see why you think his emotions were not genuine. The win has turned his fortunes around and he was pumped up.

Crenshaw's was an outpouring of grief. Both extreme expressions. One heartbreaking (which made me and millions cry) and one which was expected and perhaps over the top. 

But, both genuine. That's the way Poulter is. It may seem distasteful, but when American players carry on like that in Ryder Cup people seem to love it. They admire the "passion". 

You are all over the place on this and I just don't know how to explain it in plainer terms or more succinctly. So I'll just wave the white flag on this one. 

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

You are all over the place on this and I just don't know how to explain it in plainer terms or more succinctly. So I'll just wave the white flag on this one. 

Huh? No he's not. He's been calling you out on this:

On 4/2/2018 at 9:44 AM, NEhomer said:

I would have no problem if his emotions were genuine. My suspicion, however, is that he cherishes his "intensity" photo ops. The putt he just made wasn't difficult or clutch.....he could have swiped it multiple times and still won. 

I too thought his emotions and his reaction were genuine. What possibly makes you think it wasn't?

I don't like Ian one bit. I rooted against him. And not a single shred of me believes that his reaction wasn't genuine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Actually, I think he was hiding his emotions better last weekend:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/43529951

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/03/24/poulter-tweets-about-media-masters-mix-match-play-loss

He would have been absolutely seething, and justifiably so, after this. Interesting how the UK media reports it differently to the US media though, where it's heavy on the implication that he's looking for an excuse. For info, in his interview with Sky Sports after the round, he 100% refused to blame his WGC exit on this miscommunication.

With regard to winning the Houston Open, having had the start that he had on Day 1 and with this in the background, holing that putt on 18 and then winning the playoff - yeah, I think his reaction was pretty genuine.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

My wife used to be a waitress at a very well known BBQ place right around the corner from the TPC @ Southwind. I remember her telling me some guy named Poulter was a good tipper. She waited on some young guy named Rory something and he gave her $100..

Doesn't Tiger have a reputation as being a lousy tipper?

Live from the doghouse.

45 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

My wife used to be a waitress at a very well known BBQ place right around the corner from the TPC @ Southwind. I remember her telling me some guy named Poulter was a good tipper. She waited on some young guy named Rory something and he gave her $100..

Doesn't Tiger have a reputation as being a lousy tipper?

Don't some people feel entitled to get outrageously high tips from wealthy customers? :-)

Why would a thread about Poulter being an "ass" involve hearsay about Tiger's tipping.

I would thing that the generosity of a lot of players is something you never hear about. Tiger has donated many millions to worthy causes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Huh? No he's not. He's been calling you out on this:

I too thought his emotions and his reaction were genuine. What possibly makes you think it wasn't?

I don't like Ian one bit. I rooted against him. And not a single shred of me believes that his reaction wasn't genuine.

He "called me out" by referring to Ben Crenshaw? 

What possibly makes you think it wasn't?

I'm going to say this for the final time. The outcome of the tournament was NOT riding on the final putt. Most players in that situation will show a sigh of relief that it's over and that they've won. Fiery outburst type reactions usually come from players in reaction to closing it out with a difficult or at least surprising shot.

Ian's a showboater and imo, (which I've stated more than once I could be wrong about) it appeared that his reaction was more about a photo op.

There's really not a whole lot to argue about except that some of you cats like to argue. You may disagree with me if you'd like, but I have nothing more to add. None of you have any more proof of his true feelings than I do and on message boards, sometimes we muse about shit.

That's just how the whole thing seemed to me and I was just sharing that thought.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

8 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

Ian's a showboater and imo, (which I've stated more than once I could be wrong about) it appeared that his reaction was more about a photo op.

Thanks again for supporting my argument and destroying your own. Poulter is a showboater. He reacted like a showboater. You said it. His reaction is 100% authentic and 100% genuine according to what you (personally) would expect. Reacting in a way you (or I) disapprove of does not negate the authenticity of the reaction.

You don't have to be very bright to recognise that the cool thing to do would be to sink the putt, shake hands and walk off without carrying on and do the opposite of what is expected. He didn't, which again supports the fact that he is real. We don't have to like it.

4 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Thanks again for supporting my argument and destroying your own. Poulter is a showboater. He reacted like a showboater. You said it. His reaction is 100% authentic and 100% genuine according to what you (personally) would expect. Reacting in a way you (or I) disapprove of does not negate the authenticity of the reaction.

You don't have to be very bright to recognise that the cool thing to do would be to sink the putt, shake hands and walk off without carrying on and do the opposite of what is expected. He didn't, which again supports the fact that he is real. We don't have to like it.

So my suspicion that he was showboating destroys the notion that he may have been showboating. Got it.

John C.

1 minute ago, NEhomer said:

So my suspicion that he was showboating destroys the notion that he may have been showboating. Got it.

Dear me. How long will you persist? He IS a showboater. That doesn't make him phony. It makes him a dick in the eyes of many. You and I included.

Just now, Shorty said:

Dear me. How long will you persist? He IS a showboater. That doesn't make him phony. It makes him a dick in the eyes of many. You and I included.

This. He reacted exactly as you would have expected, but you're both quibbling over whether it was a calculated reaction or an emotional one. My bet would be emotional given the recent rollercoaster, but it's not a surprising reaction and, to be honest, it's good to see someone care given how big the stakes were. Even if it was a tap-in.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

59 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

I bet you are a lot of fun at weddings and funerals, telling people how they should celebrate or mourn.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
2 hours ago, NEhomer said:

What possibly makes you think it wasn't?

I'm going to say this for the final time. The outcome of the tournament was NOT riding on the final putt. Most players in that situation will show a sigh of relief that it's over and that they've won. Fiery outburst type reactions usually come from players in reaction to closing it out with a difficult or at least surprising shot.

Says you.

Given what he went through the week before, and that this was his first PGA Tour stroke play win, and his first win of any kind in six years, AND that it got him into the Masters, I can see perfectly well how he'd be totally psyched to have won.

And given how it would have been inappropriate to have that reaction before he'd actually won, even though he could have three-putted or whatever… the timing isn't something I question.

So no, I think you're full of shit. I despise Ian Poulter and I don't think there was anything not completely genuine about his reaction. I don't think he was doing it to "act for the cameras" or because he "cherishes his 'intensity' photo ops."

:doh: For that and the later comments where you fail to understand how a showboater reacting like a showboater is not phony, but instead very real.

There's really not a whole lot to argue about except that some of you cats like to argue. You may disagree with me if you'd like, but I have nothing more to add. None of you have any more proof of his true feelings than I do and on message boards, sometimes we muse about shit.

That's just how the whole thing seemed to me and I was just sharing that thought.

The above is all true. None of us truly know.

But you're in the minority, and very likely wrong, about Ian's reaction. That's all anyone's saying.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Poulter's demeanor has been on display for far too many years for anyone to think that his reaction at the Houston Open was anything but genuine.

Come on, homer! Have you been paying attention to pro golf for like 6 months, or what?

Note: This thread is 2017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!