IGNORED

How far do you hit your irons?

drs6222
Note: This thread is 3181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Probably fairly common for people to hit crap shots that hole out. Couple weeks ago I made an easy birdie with a bad contact 7 iron on a par 3. Low flier that hit the perfect ridge in front of the green and hopped hard left catching the slope towards the hole stopping about 30" from it on dead flat green. A foot or two shorter and I'd have been chipping to get it on. Needless to say all said and done the shot was well below my average 7 iron distance but boy was I thankful for a lucky break. Seems I am always the guy that finds my ball in a divot, on bare ground, next to a root etc. I could hit a otherwise perfect shot and roll up to find my ball on the worst lie possible.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad we cleared that up.

@Slice of Life has/had a conversion formula in his signature.

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ ADD ] * .96 + [ EPS ] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)
IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)
Thanks. I took the liberty of reposting. Man, there is so much to learn about this game lol

Yeah some of these numbers make me laugh.  145 pitching wedge?  Straight?  Not bladed?  I'm not saying it's not possible but let's just say I'm going to take a few of these with a grain of salt. :-P

Not far enough !!!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Yeah some of these numbers make me laugh.  145 pitching wedge?  Straight?  Not bladed?  I'm not saying it's not possible but let's just say I'm going to take a few of these with a grain of salt.

Sorry to use your particular post @Strandly , but I've often wondered about every time someone mentions thinning or blading a club farther than a well struck shot?

From my experience a well struck shot in the center of the face will always go farther than a thin shot? IDK, maybe I'm just weird?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yeah some of these numbers make me laugh.  145 pitching wedge?  Straight?  Not bladed?  I'm not saying it's not possible but let's just say I'm going to take a few of these with a grain of salt.

Defiantly not bladed, straight... more like a slight draw, you can believe what ever you want to believe. I'll tell you what though if we go back a few years ago I probably hit the PW like 125, but where some people work on becoming more accurate, I've worked on increasing distance in that time, now getting back to working on accuracy while keeping the distance.

Having a 43 degree pw doesn't hurt.

I think its 45 actually but close :-D

Defiantly not bladed, straight... more like a slight draw, you can believe what ever you want to believe. I'll tell you what though if we go back a few years ago I probably hit the PW like 125, but where some people work on becoming more accurate, I've worked on increasing distance in that time, now getting back to working on accuracy while keeping the distance.

It's not like you've discovered some holy grail of golf while everyone else is stupidly working on other crap. :-D

Most people are working on their distance and accuracy.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It's not like you've discovered some holy grail of golf while everyone else is stupidly working on other crap.

I'm not saying that but some people get content with their distance, or just get to a point where they figure that's as far as their going to it and its not worth messing up their game for a year or 2 to be a little bit further. Since I started my one buddy was always longer then I and a couple years ago I mad a decision to focus on increasing swing speed i went from shooting high 80's- low 90's back to 100's for awhile and it was very frustrating but It is proving to pay off in the long run, you just get so many more scoring opportunities being able to hit the ball further, and now I hit it further then my buddy. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

It's not like you've discovered some holy grail of golf while everyone else is stupidly working on other crap.

I'm not saying that but some people get content with their distance, or just get to a point where they figure that's as far as their going to it and its not worth messing up their game for a year or 2 to be a little bit further. Since I started my one buddy was always longer then I and a couple years ago I mad a decision to focus on increasing swing speed i went from shooting 80-90 back to 100's for awhile and it was very frustrating but It is proving to pay off in the long run, you just get so many more scoring opportunities being able to hit the ball further, and now I hit it further then my buddy.

Gaining distance should not mess up your game. If you're doing it right, it should incrementally improve your game.

I'm not sure if it's contentment or a physical limitation. In many cases, it's likely the latter.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

58°- 105 54° - 130 Pw47°- 150 9-160 8-170 7-185 6-200 5-215 4-230 3H- 260 3w- 280 D- 285+

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Gaining distance should not mess up your game that much. If you're doing it right, it should incrementally improve your game.

I'm not sure if it's contentment or a physical limitation. In many cases, it's likely the latter.

Well I also switched from fading/slicing to drawing/hooking the ball. Their are plenty of people on tour with physical limitations but still have SS over 100 mph and if you look at LPGA players they maximize distance with technique, I think most people can increase their SS but their when you do instead of a little fade or draw you'll now get shots that will move a lot further left or right, and it takes a good amount of time to get used to, and where a bad shot might have still been in play before now that your swinging faster they will be traveling further into the rough/OB/Hazards.

Carry distances: Lob: <105 Sand: 125 Gap: 140 PW: 150 9i: 160 8i: 170 7i: 180 6i: 190 5i: 200 4i: 210 3i: 225

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Sorry to use your particular post @Strandly, but I've often wondered about every time someone mentions thinning or blading a club farther than a well struck shot?

From my experience a well struck shot in the center of the face will always go farther than a thin shot? IDK, maybe I'm just weird?

Depends on the club, bladed driver or long iron doesn't really go anywhere imo.  A bladed wedge goes 10 miles past where you intended though.

Note: This thread is 3181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!