IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Is that really a problem in Norway? ;-)

I come from a small country village with a 6-hole course and 200 members, where they don't embrace the whole dress code as much. Not uncommon to see people play golf without a shirt on a hot and sunny day. You'll have trouble finding a more relaxed group of people on the course. As long as the people are nice, I'm OK with it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't know about you, or what I've said before (except that I don't particularly care how OTHER people dress), but this is as true for me as it was years ago: I enjoy dressing a little more nicely than I do bumming around the house or going grocery shopping or whatever. I like to "dress the part," and did when I was an amateur, too. Dress for success, baby!

I agree.

Part of the fun of the game is getting dressed up and wearing nice golf clothes.

when you look good you feel good and can play better.

It's like a uniform - getting dressed is all part of the process.

And like a kid in their sports iniform, there's a bit of fantasy there which is no bad thing for us grown ups.

Just go easy on the orange.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by walk18

I love how so many here are trying to justify wearing denim or basketball clothing just because they fix divots. Like it has to be one or the other? Just show a little class in your attire, throw on a polo and khakis, it's not like anyone's asking you to wear a tux..

I agree with this. And it's not always about status or being elite. To me its just about being appropriate. I have a $150 pair of jeans. I'm still not going to wear them to the course even though they are much nicer than my golf clothing. I get a lot of my golf clothes from Ross, like $10-20 for pants and shirts.

Cost is a lame excuse, I see golf shorts and polo shirts being sold for $15 - $20 at Nike, UA outlet stores, Target, Bobs Stores, Walmart, etc.  If you go online to eBay you can find it even cheaper.  I picked up 3 Callaway tech fabric golf shirts for < $20 each from Callaway online.

Joe Paradiso

I don't know about you, or what I've said before (except that I don't particularly care how OTHER people dress), but this is as true for me as it was years ago: I enjoy dressing a little more nicely than I do bumming around the house or going grocery shopping or whatever. I like to "dress the part," and did when I was an amateur, too. Dress for success, baby!

A boss of mine once told me, "Don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want." I take that to heart. Plus, if I stink it up on the golf course I want to look good doing it!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Originally Posted by NM Golf

A boss of mine once told me, "Don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want." I take that to heart. Plus, if I stink it up on the golf course I want to look good doing it!

I think looking sharp on the golf course is important.

On the flipside though, I always know I'm in for a long day when I get paired with a guy who has a hack's game and dresses like a tour pro, right down to the logos and staff bag.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Cost is a lame excuse, I see golf shorts and polo shirts being sold for $15 - $20 at Nike, UA outlet stores, Target, Bobs Stores, Walmart, etc.  If you go online to eBay you can find it even cheaper.  I picked up 3 Callaway tech fabric golf shirts for < $20 each from Callaway online.

But, do you wear those just for golf?  Probably not.  You can wear them other times.  A person that otherwise never wears anything like that would be more inconvenienced and be out more $$.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I guess if you're a farmer or live in the country you might not ever wear a polo shirt or khaki shorts.  Most people I know go to summer bbq's or parties and wear something more formal than basketball shorts and raggy t-shirts.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

But, do you wear those just for golf?  Probably not.  You can wear them other times.  A person that otherwise never wears anything like that would be more inconvenienced and be out more $$.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't know about you, or what I've said before (except that I don't particularly care how OTHER people dress), but this is as true for me as it was years ago: I enjoy dressing a little more nicely than I do bumming around the house or going grocery shopping or whatever. I like to "dress the part," and did when I was an amateur, too. Dress for success, baby!

I agree.

Part of the fun of the game is getting dressed up and wearing nice golf clothes.

when you look good you feel good and can play better.

It's like a uniform - getting dressed is all part of the process.

And like a kid in their sports iniform, there's a bit of fantasy there which is no bad thing for us grown ups.

Just go easy on the orange.

I like to look nice, but would rather be paired with a guy shooting a 75 in jeans than a 95 in designer golf slacks. Maybe I'm reading this thread wrong, but a lot of Walter Mitty types like to play dress up and pretend they're in the show whereas some guys just want to play golf.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I guess if you're a farmer or live in the country you might not ever wear a polo shirt or khaki shorts.  Most people I know go to summer bbq's or parties and wear something more formal than basketball shorts and raggy t-shirts.

Most people I know do too.  But some people don't.  Seems like more and more all the time...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I like to look nice, but would rather be paired with a guy shooting a 75 in jeans than a 95 in designer golf slacks. Maybe I'm reading this thread wrong, but a lot of Walter Mitty types like to play dress up and pretend they're in the show whereas some guys just want to play golf.

Why not just both of them not in jeans? I mean I'd rather play with a naked fat dude who shoots 140 than with a guy who shoots 65 dressed amazing but beats me maliciously with his driver because he missed a fairway. There's always exceptions.

• Upvote 1

I don't really care what other people wear.  My point was that you don't have to spend a lot of money on golf clothes to meet the basic dress codes that some courses enforce.  As others have stated I've seen the golf pro wanna be with their staff bag, tour clubs, Puma color corrdinated shirt and shorts throw clubs, not fix divots and act like drunken idiots.  I've also seen guys in jean shorts carrying worn non brand bags and clubs that fix divots and make the day enjoyable.  The clothes don't pre-determine how the person will act or play.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me for someone who enjoys golf to purchase a pair of khaki shorts and golf shirt for when they play just as many people own a suit that they only wear to funerals and weddings.

Quote:

Joe Paradiso

True, is that a sign of the times or are we just getting old?

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Most people I know do too.  But some people don't.  Seems like more and more all the time...

Joe Paradiso

I'm just curious why cargo shorts are looked down on? I own normal khaki shorts as well and I almost always have a polo shirt on no matter where I'm going (fishing a tournament from 6pm to 10pm tonight in the Tx heat and I have a black dri fit polo on to do it). Cargo shorts however are a staple of my summer attire. They are always starched and look perfect so I don't see the issue with them. Granted if you pull them out of the drier or the bottom of a drawer and they are mangled, they look like crap but a nice starched set look just as good as a set of regular khaki's in my opinion.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

You answered your own question.  I like cargo shorts, but you have to dry clean or press them to keep them looking neat, otherwise the pockets get that microwaved bacon look.

Originally Posted by slodsm

I'm just curious why cargo shorts are looked down on? I own normal khaki shorts as well and I almost always have a polo shirt on no matter where I'm going (fishing a tournament from 6pm to 10pm tonight in the Tx heat and I have a black dri fit polo on to do it). Cargo shorts however are a staple of my summer attire. They are always starched and look perfect so I don't see the issue with them. Granted if you pull them out of the drier or the bottom of a drawer and they are mangled, they look like crap but a nice starched set look just as good as a set of regular khaki's in my opinion.

Joe Paradiso

Considering golf cargo shorts are "in" this season I don't think nice cargo shorts are a big deal. I've never seen any codes discouraging shorts just jeans and shirts with no collar. I wear my Adidas rugby gear, which happens to be cargo shorts, to the club my parents belong to and all is good.

Dave :-)

I'm on the fence about a stricter dress code.  I have played with guys who play in jeans and a t-shirt who shoot under par and have better etiquette than the guys who dress like Fowler, Tiger, and Woods.

Personally I don't care as long as they are respectable of the course

Note: This thread is 1394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!