IGNORED

Groove Sharpening

Note: This thread is 2159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do many of you sharpen your own grooves? If so, how easily is this done? Is there any considerations that need to be thought out before someone does this for the first time? Any particular devices that work best?

Why not just get a new wedge? It's not expensive like a driver or anything. You can get a nice one for like 75 bucks, two for 100 at Dicks (Taylor Made RAC - which is a nice wedge.)

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• 3 weeks later...
anybody use a groove sharpener for their irons and see results with wedges or irons?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I use a groove sharpener and have seen immediate results. My previous set of wedges were not generating the same amount of bite so I used a homemade groove sharpener and was surprised with the results. Most notable difference was my 60* off of a tight lie. I also sharpen my irons, however, the results are not as clear. I am not sure I would go out and buy one, but you would be surprised what can sharpen grooves effectively in your tool set at home.

EGS

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S 70 g
Burner 3 wood 15 * S
Bruner Hybrid 19* S MP-60 S300 4-PW CG 14 52*/10* TP Z 56*/12* TP Z 60*/6* Studio Select Laguna 1.5

I've used a sharpener on my Vokey wedges and it definitely brings them back. I've had the same wedges for 2 years now and they bite just as well as they did when they were new. Just be ready for some rust to start forming after you sharpen them.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Thanks for the feedback

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Sharpen mine as well, with one of those $8 groove sharpeners from eBay. I'd say it's noticable from the first swing if your grooves are pretty worn, especially on wedges.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

I used a sharpener on my old irons & there is a noticable difference, although I did find my ball getting chewed up after only a few full shots with my wedges.

I use one that I made (took an existing flat file and machined it). The steel is harder and cuts better then the ones you buy. I also made a jig and holding fixture so I can keep the sharpener perpendicular to the club face. Helps keep the edges sharp and square.

I only use it on my 56* and 60* wedges. No need to use it on any other clubs for me.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

they better work! I just ordered one late night at the beginning of the week. I nicked a couple grooves and it definitely is grabbing more grass instead of channeling it away. I ordered the groove sharpener that's on e-bay, heard great things about it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use one that I made (took an existing flat file and machined it). The steel is harder and cuts better then the ones you buy. I also made a jig and holding fixture so I can keep the sharpener perpendicular to the club face. Helps keep the edges sharp and square.

Willing to replicate lol?

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

well, just got mine. Called the Groove Sharpener lol. Put a hole in my thumb knuckle real well. Seemed to work as it took a bunch of metal filings at first and then when I was done, it was smooth and sharp on the inside. Took a heck of a long time since I've played those wedges for a year already. Hope I see some more consistent results.

• 2 weeks later...
is it hard to use? can you damage your club if you do it incorrectly?

EDIT: What i'm asking is, do you really need a vice, or will it be worse/screwed up if you don't?

Sasquatch 460 10.5
X 3 wood
X 4H
X-22's 5-PW
X Forged 52, 58 Black Series #1 Tour i X Series stand bag

• 2 weeks later...
I've been using the same Ping Tour wedges (54*/58*) for the past 3 years...here is AZ they really take a pounding with all the gravel washes that we have.

The lowest two grooves are starting to get a little "deformed". These wedges stlll have a lot of life in them...and I'd rather not replace something that isnt broken yet.

Anyone sharpen their grooves with good success?

G5 9* w/Aldila NV Shaft
4DX +3 (13*)
3DX RC 2-Iwood 17*
i5 3-PW GREEN DOT w/Z-Z65 steel shafts
Ping Eye 2 XG SW & LW

Ping Zing G2 Putter

Hoofer 3 Bag

Nike ball (any)

Rounds this year:81: Granite Falls North84: Trilogy at Vistancia84: Falcon Golf Course82: Granite Falls South 82

I know you can take them places to get sharpened but I don't know how well that would work.. I could imagine it works a little but at the same time i wanna believe that it might damage your clubs or theres a risk of that

actually just tried this recently and made my wedge play like it was brand new. I bought the "groove sharpener" which was a bit more expensive but I expect it to last me a long time. Doesn't make it look new, but it sure performs like it.

A groove sharpener will sharpen the lines, but if the groove is deformed or cracked in spots I am not sure how much difference it will make. Worth a shot to spend the money to get the sharpener because you can use it for all of your clubs to keep them sharp.

EGS

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S 70 g
Burner 3 wood 15 * S
Bruner Hybrid 19* S MP-60 S300 4-PW CG 14 52*/10* TP Z 56*/12* TP Z 60*/6* Studio Select Laguna 1.5

Note: This thread is 2159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!