IGNORED

Why Aren’t More People Copying Moe Norman's Swing?

Msokol13
Note: This thread is 885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To say that one cannot become a good golfer without being able to him fades and draws depends, to borrow from Bill Clinton, on the meaning of good. One could easily break 80 from the middle tees hitting it straight on every shot. To consistently break 70 from the tips, my definition of good, no you cannot without being able to work the ball,have a good short game and putt.

To say that one cannot become a good golfer without being able to him fades and draws depends, to borrow from Bill Clinton, on the meaning of good. One could easily break 80 from the middle tees hitting it straight on every shot. To consistently break 70 from the tips, my definition of good, no you cannot without being able to work the ball,have a good short game and putt.

If someone can hit the the ball straight on every shot they will also be able to work the ball. To think a players control of the ball could be limited by only hitting straight is a ridiculous proposition.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If someone can hit the the ball straight on every shot they will also be able to work the ball. To think a players control of the ball could be limited by only hitting straight is a ridiculous proposition.

1. have ypu ever try, swing like Moe Norman "style"? 2. it is not LIMITED to hitting straight, but the man WANT to hitting straight

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

7 Wood : XXIO.........................................(2005 model, from my dad)

5 Rescue : Tourstage ViQ........................(2008 model)

Irons : XXIO MP200.................................(2003 model, from my dad)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

My self taught Swing Theard : My Swing (efdeel74)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvySwede

1. have ypu ever try, swing like Moe Norman "style"?

2. it is not LIMITED to hitting straight, but the man WANT to hitting straight

1 . I don't buy into gimmicky crap.

2 . You clearly didn't understand my post fully, and read the post I was responding to more carefully.

3. A slight fade or draw pattern gives the player more margin for error, especially if you have good course management.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

1 . I don't buy into gimmicky crap. 2 . You clearly didn't understand my post fully, and read the post I was responding to more carefully. 3. A slight fade or draw pattern gives the player more margin for error, especially if you have good course management.

yes...thanks for sharing... 1. its ok...so everyone (and me) know where we stand. :) 2. yes, my mistake, i am not read the post you was responding fully. 3. i cant comment yet.

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

btw youtube video in top of this forum is made for marketing purpose...it is not good approach to show people and discuss "pure" Moe Norman swing. It is much better to let people do the home work first about Moe Norman. you can find it mostly on youtube and google.

my most recommended video: search "young mou norman" in youtube

• Administrator

my most recommended video: search "young mou norman" in youtube

Just embed the video here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just embed the video here.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IiBX1LnOWCI[/video] some call it...sick swing, yes i think it crazy swing note: low quality video resulution

"his head injury as a kid made him [awkward] and since society has low tolerance for geniuses and autism he never made it on the PGA Circuit."

I joined the forum to reply to this fallacious  post from over two years ago, yay me!

It was Moe's personal choice not to join the PGA period. Likely due to his erratic behavior, however many speculate he was ultimately happier on the range or playing alone (much like Ben Hogan).

Had he joined the PGA we would be talking a lot less about past major winners.

I think from everything I have read/heard about Norman, was that  he was "run off" the American PGA tour by asset holes who could not beat him, and continuously made fun of him. I also got the same info from a guy I use to caddy for when I was a youngster. Jack Schlee would visit Seaside Oregon, (where I grew up)  from time, to time. His mentor was some guy named  of Ben Hogan. I asked him one time if the best ball striker at the time was Hogan. He said "no, Moe Norman is" which I found out later was what Hogan also thought. Jack Schlee also wrote a book "Maximum Golf" which is a decent read if you want to know some stuff about Hogan's swing. Some might remember him as John Schlee.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think from everything I have read/heard about Norman, was that  he was "run off" the American PGA tour by asset holes who could not beat him, and continuously made fun of him. I also got the same info from a guy I use to caddy for when I was a youngster. Jack Schlee would visit Seaside Oregon, (where I grew up)  from time, to time. His mentor was some guy named  of Ben Hogan. I asked him one time if the best ball striker at the time was Hogan. He said "no, Moe Norman is" which I found out later was what Hogan also thought. Jack Schlee also wrote a book "Maximum Golf" which is a decent read if you want to know some stuff about Hogan's swing. Some might remember him as John Schlee.

Maybe this is OT but if so, please start a John Schlee thread (I couldn't find one just now when I searched). I first heard about him when I was in high school and then he almost won the US Open, I was just starting my Five Lessons phase that lasted about 30 years until I had some back trouble and had to retool my swing. Best golf of my life. Just his name evokes a lot of nostalgia for me.

But anyway Schlee was kind of a cult hero in my small golfing circle then, very weak grip, I remember him saying that if you hit the ball hard enough it had to go straight, that it would be "too hot to turn". Great visualization.

Did you really know who he was, other than some pro golfer? Any interesting stuff he taught you? Or were you just too young? More stories, please :-)

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patch

Maybe this is OT but if so, please start a John Schlee thread (I couldn't find one just now when I searched). I first heard about him when I was in high school and then he almost won the US Open, I was just starting my Five Lessons phase that lasted about 30 years until I had some back trouble and had to retool my swing. Best golf of my life. Just his name evokes a lot of nostalgia for me.

But anyway Schlee was kind of a cult hero in my small golfing circle then, very weak grip, I remember him saying that if you hit the ball hard enough it had to go straight, that it would be "too hot to turn". Great visualization.

Did you really know who he was, other than some pro golfer? Any interesting stuff he taught you? Or were you just too young? More stories, please

You can start one!  Don't be shy!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

my first time go to driving range with moe norman's swing style [URL]http://instagram.com/p/zFYuFIP1u8/[/URL]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

Hmmm,

Quote:

According to the PGA Tour web site, the following is Norman's record on the PGA Tour:

• 27 total events played, with 25 cuts made
  • 1 top ten finish and 7 top 25 finishes
  • $7,139 in tournament prize money

That hardly sounds like a record that would warrant running someone off because they cannot beat him.

There is a lot of legend surrounding Moe Norman.  I bet there is eve a little bit that is actually true.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Moe Norman had a swing that worked well for Moe and allowed him to do well in Canada and have some success on the PGA Tour.  Jim Furyk has a unique swing and has had even more success than Moe Norman on the PGA Tour but we're not seeing people try to swing like Jim.

People should look to achieve the 5 Simple Keys with their swing not attempt to copy someone elses.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Moe Norman had a swing that worked well for Moe and allowed him to do well in Canada and have some success on the PGA Tour.  Jim Furyk has a unique swing and has had even more success than Moe Norman on the PGA Tour but we're not seeing people try to swing like Jim.

Moe's swing as a younger guy looks far more "traditional" than the swing for which he's famous. His grip wasn't even the ten-finger grip we associate with him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

People should look to achieve the 5 Simple Keys with their swing not attempt to copy someone elses.

didnt we all copy some one else swing? mostly copy their pros or trainer swing "traditional" swing also copy someone else swing :) imho

didnt we all copy some one else swing? mostly copy their pros or trainer swing

"traditional" swing also copy someone else swing :) imho

I don't know if the word copy is accurate.  Some, like Dufner tried to emulate Ben Hogans swing, but I wouldn't say it's a copy.  While I'd like to copy Hogans, or even Dufners swing my range of motion and ability prevents me from actually copying it.

What I've learned here is that some of the best golf swings share commonalties (5SK) and in that sense we want to ensure our swings incorporate those commonalities or keys but I don't consider that copying.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!