IGNORED

MULLIGANS whats your opinion?????

kjb008
Note: This thread is 5147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is this "Mulligan" you speak of? I've re-read the entire rules of golf and can not find any mention of such a thing.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only time mulligans are acceptable is in a match between a small group of people where everyone is allowed the same number of mulligans (1 per round, 1 per side, etc). Obviously a tournament or a score you plan to post for handicap calculation purposes will have the extra strokes added.

When playing a round with friends, we generally do not allow extra strokes for handicap differences because not everyone has a calculated handicap. Mulligans sort of help with this leveling of the field. A really good player can go a whole round and not use their mulligan except maybe on the 18th hole approach shot that they want to land perfectly, they might use it there as a last ditch effort to drop a stroke on the putting green. However, my general opinion about allowing it in this format is that they only be used on the tee. Lately during my "practice" rounds I have not allowed myself any mulligans because I want an accurate handicap rating for myself, and I have worked hard to get it down to where it's at and have a goal of getting into the mid teens by next summer.
If I my ball comes to rest 100 yards into the forest or out of bounds , I'll hit a mulligan from the point I just hit from (even if it's on the tee box) in order to speed up play. Then all I have to do is add 2 strokes to my score when I finish putting out. It's just that easy.

Wouldn't it be horrible if you scored an eagle on this hole and had to put a par down on your scorecard? lol

What is this "Mulligan" you speak of? I've re-read the entire rules of golf and can not find any mention of such a thing.

Funny. ;)

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

We called that hitting 3.

Seriously, I never use mulligan. Even when I dribble my first tee shot of the day 50 yards, I will play it as it lies (thank got that does not happen but once or twice a year). You can't expect to have a good shot everytime. You need to get use to hitting that first tee shot in front of a crowd and even if you don't hit a good one, you need to learn how to recover from a bad shot.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it all depends... i never take mulligans but if im playing with friends that are high hcps ill give them 1 on the front and 1 on the back... keeps them from getting too frustrated...
i used to take mulligans when i didnt really track my scores and keep my hcp (before i took it seriously)
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Mullies are always a hot button issue. Especially on an internet forum! I got a kick out of reading here once about the phenomenon we've all seen where the guy has the mullie-reload habit so ingrained he's reached in his pocket for another ball and re-teed it before his first shot has even come to rest!

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Mullies are always a hot button issue. Especially on an internet forum! I got a kick out of reading here once about the phenomenon we've all seen where the guy has the mullie-reload habit so ingrained he's reached in his pocket for another ball and re-teed it before his first shot has even come to rest!

HAHA! I have done this at least a couple times, back when I was shooting 110+.

I would see the ball heading toward the lake, and without undue hesitation for the group behind us, tee another and let'r fly! If I messed that one up, I would drop a ball closest to the point where I thought my ball entered the lake. Oftentimes this would be exaggerated a few yards forward, then it was my mission to finish the hole with less strokes than double par, otherwise I would pick it up. Hey, we all started somewhere! Switching from the mats and rubber tees at the range to grass and real tees was hard at first.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

No mulligans.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I stopped using them when I started taking golf seriously and keeping a legit HCP.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I think if you are a novice golfer and you are playing a social round of golf with similar partners or close friends and you play infrequently like say once or twice a year then fine... agree with your playing partners a bit of fun to allow one or two mulligans to make the day enjoyable for you all. Just be careful not to be blatant about it and do it on the first tee when people are queuing up behind you or too many times that you hold people up (or are perceived as holding people up).
But for anyone else - I'd suggest you'd actually play better golf if you never allowed another mulligan in your life... you won't rely on it and your game will improve.
I don't let my seven and six year old take them anymore not since about their second or third round of golf.

i like to go with 1 mulligan for every 18 holes but no puts, just looking to see what the norm is for everyone else.

Depending on the group I'm playing with I'll either take two off the first tee and then play it down from there or simply play it down every stroke. Winter rules and inclement weather may allow for lift/clean/place or rolling the ball a clublength in the fairways during the latter part of the year (play year round on dormant courses around here).
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

mulligans defeat the purpose of playing golf. you're only disadvantaging yourself, at the end of the day. i play rarely with 2 freinds who take a mulligan per 9 holes, and end up breaking 100 because of it. not really fair.

why not play it as it lies/add penalties and see where your game is really at??

G15 10.5* Driver
HiBORE XLS 15* 3W
HiBORE XLS 21* & 24* 3H & 4H
X-31 5I to SW
Vokey Spin Oil Can 60* LW Marilyn 34" Putter Tour Stand Bag SciFlex Glove & Golf Athletics Shoes

depends practice rounds i may hit 3-6 balls from one spot.but in real rounds its play what you got

agreed. when i am playing by myself i sometimes do the same thing. The only time it would ever be acceptable to take a mulligans with my friends would be on a course we have never played before and hit a "good shot" OB or in a lake
Bag: Three Five Yellow
Driver: 905R 9.5 Degree, Fujikawa Shaft Shift
3-Wood: Sumo2 15 degree
Hybrids 19 and 21 degree
Irons tour x-20 (5-PW)Wedges vokey 52.08,56.14, 60.04Putter circa 62 #1: Pro V1Where I usually play: Rush Creek

Wow, mulligans have caused quite a stir

I think much of it depends on the circumstances of the game you're playing in. Of course, if you're in a club comp or marking a card for handicapping, then mulligans are a no-no.

On the other hand, if you're playing with some buddies and eveyone is agreeable, then there's no harm to give everone a mully. It's just like a get out of jail free card to add to the fun.

I also vaguley remember another golfing term from UK called a 'gilligan'. This works differently from a mulligan, in that your playing partners can choose to make you reply a shot .

A perfect time to request a gilligan is after somebody has pulled off a miracle shot, especially when there's a few dollars riding on the game. Watching them try to pull off the miracle shot a second time would be quite amusing, but highly frustrating for the victim.

It's all good fun, but again, only to be used with your golfing buddies, not for comps or handicapping.

In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

dont use em for scoring purposes, but if someone wants to play a second ball and not count it toward their score... whats the harm?

that "gilligan" sounds like it could be alot of fun lol

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

I don't take mulligans myself nor does anyone I regularly play with.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

Note: This thread is 5147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!