IGNORED

Did you play on your HS golf team? Could you make the team today?

shades9323
Note: This thread is 5083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played HS golf from 94-98. 3 years on the varsity as the number 1/2 golfer. Average for 9 was about 42. I haven't played a ton since then but I'm getting back into it. My hc is close to the same as it was back then. My mother was telling me about the kids(15/16 year olds) that sometimes play golf with her at the club. They are out there shooting 18 hole scores of 2 and 3 over. Of course they play for the HS team that I played for. I might be able to hang on as the 5/6 golfer on these teams.

Did you play in HS? How long ago was that? Do you think you could make the team now?

I'll be a senior next year. Played top 20 freshman year, top 15 sophomore year, and number 8 this year. Hoping to be number 4-ish next year. :)
S9-1 Offset 10.5*
S2 3-W
S9-1 5-W
CPR Rescue 3 Hybrid
AP1 IronsVokey Wedges 56* and 60* Ghost Putter                                                                     Low Score l 71, Par 72 Tiffany Greens (6 Birdies/5 Bogeys)

I wish I could go play little league now. I'd kick some butt!

Did you play in HS? How long ago was that? Do you think you could make the team now?

I didn't take up golf until graduate school, but I believe an index like my current one would make the team at my former high school. I know who the golf coach was when I was a student, and he doesn't know his (posterior) from a hole in the ground, which makes it particularly funny that he was the golf coach. They have someone else now. And whenever I see folks from other high schools in the area at a course, I ask them about my former school, and the universal response is that not one of the players for that team can break 90 over 18 in honest competition. When I hear they're going to play my former school, I wish them a 27 (I used to wish them 54, then I found out the competitions for high schoolers are 9 holes).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just finished my senior year in the fall. I was about the 19th spot in freshman year (#6ish on JV), about 13th sophomore year (#1 in JV), #6 junior year, and #3 senior year. If I could play another year (I am supposed to be a currently a junior (as opposed to the senior I am now) due to my age) I think I could compete for #1.

I wish I could go play little league now. I'd kick some butt!

I umpire Little League. If I could play, I would destroy.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I played from 95-98 and was the number 1 player my last three years. I am actually slightly better now after a long break but I'd say the equipment changes are the biggest contributor to that. My short game in high school was much better than it is now but I still manage to score better since I hit the ball longer. Our team was competitive sometimes but usually in the middle of the pack at regionals. I have no clue how the team is now but I'd say I'd still be able to make the team. I don't play at the same course I did then, but now I play at the rival's home course. Back then we usually beat the rival but now I doubt I'd even make their team since they are a golf power in the state now. They won three straight state championships and keep reloading every year. I've played with some of the kids on the team and some of them have handicaps as low as a +3.

In my sack:

Driver: VR STR-8 Fit Tour 10.5 VooDoo stiff
3 wood: 909F2 13.5* stiff Diamana
Hybrid: Rescue 19* stiff3-6: MP 52 S3007-PW: MP 62 S300Wedges: 54-12, 58-8Putter: Newport 2 TeI3

I gradumatated in '92. I did not play golf because I was to busy with track, basketball and football. I lettered 2 years in all 3, but what an idiot I was for not playing something that a short skinny kid might have a chance of success beyond HS!! My younger bro played to a 3 index in HS and was #2. He is now scratch and waxes me in flip flops. LOL

I was at my son's band concert last night and they had some articles on the local high school golf team with the scores on a billboard. This is a small rural southern Indiana school. It appears the #1 averages 38 and has a full ride waiting for him after graduation at a small school. The other scores weren't that impressive, 42 all the way up to 57.

I played Football for a nationally recognized program, and unfortunately golf and football seasons clashed so no HS golf for me. I started playing in the spring of y senior year and it has been 4 years. If I was to try out now, I would probably be #1 at my school, but there are some kids in our district that went on to play other levels. We were never really good a golf lol

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Didnt play on my HS team but I have no doubt that I could make the team now.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator

I played. I made the team the first summer I played golf (1993). I started the season as an alternate but ended up playing more than half the matches as the #6 guy. We won our county championship.

The second year I was the #3 guy on the team all year and we won the county championship again.

The third year I was the #1 guy and I won the Erie District Golf Association junior tournament over the summer (54 holes over three courses). I was second man all county (our home course was the toughest by far in the league), MVP of the team, and we won the county championship for the third straight year (two was the record before that).

After I left the guys behind me won it two more years in a row for a total of five.

I assistant coached the team for two years a few years ago and was already better than everyone on the team, and I've improved several shots since then, so I'd make the team now, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I played my sophomore year as the alt and worked my way up to 6 by the end of the year. Our 1 and 2 guys went on play in college, one of them still has a career in golf (at least last time I checked 2 years ago at the reunion), no on the tour, but as either a pro or asst on a course. I remember our top guys would be right around even and the last few spots (me) would probably be between 3-5 over. I was just talking about playing golf in high school this morning and how it was so great. All the time you got to spend on the course, I'd kill for that now.

I played in high school granted it was a small town in PA but I lettered all 4 years. I started as a 13 handicap as a freshman by my senior year I was a 4. I'm pretty sure I could make the team today my dad hasn't talked of anybody shooting low scores. In my 4 years there was only one guy and one girl in our league that went to play division 1. The guy went to notre dame and I can't remember where the girl went but it wasn't anywhere big. I played at D2 school and one other guy from my team played at a junior college. Football was really big there so golf wasn't much of an interest in fact in districts 2 rounds in the 70s got you to states. On a side note if I go back some years from when I was in school the area had some good golfers. One guy from my school finished 2nd in states to Jim Furyk and Jason Bohn went to a rival school.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

i wouldn't stand a chance anymore (never could have) against some of the guys I used to play with in high school. My school led on to win 4A state champs 4 years in a row, individually breaking state records one year after another. Many of the guys that played are now playing professionally and/or still playing in college. If you played in Oregon during early 2000's, you know what school I'm talking about and which golfers I'm talking about.
I never had the mental game or the drive to play as well as them...looking back I wish I did.

"Damn straight. If only coach had put me in in the fourth quarter. I would have been playing pro now and livin' it up in a hottub with my soul mate"

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I didn't go out. Played football my first two years of HS so that eliminated golf. I had a ton of friends on the golf time who I also played baseball with my whole life who convinced me to go out for my senior year.

I went out and missed the varsity team my one spot. Since I was a senior, they wouldn't carry me on JV which sucked...I just wanted to play free golf and be on the team.

In hindsight, I wish I'd gotten serious about golf sooner than I did. Now as a guy in my late twenties who's picked the game up seriously in the past year or so...I probably could have beena decent junior golfer.

Oh well...I can hit it a mile now because I have strong legs from all the other sports I played as a kid...so that's okay, I guess

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

little different here in Canada, but yes I played
from Grade 10-12 (3 years from 96-98)
started playing in grade 9, made the team in Grade 10 and played every year after that
they even let me play in my grade 13 year...(don't laugh!! hahaha) i was uh..."upgrading" !! hahha!

I WAS a 2.0 index in H/S and putted way better than I do now or ever have
I won several school titles and made Team Sask for golf as well
dont remember what i was rated compared to the field though

no idea what the team looks like now
if there WAS one.....i would contend i think
I played in a tourney back home about 4 years ago, and pretty much the whole senior team was in the championship flight of this tourney
my game wasnt what it is today, 4 years ago.......those kids could play
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Adam Goodman, Class of 2012!
Varsity letterman my freshman year playing with only 8 clubs.
Currently playing number one for Somers High School as a sophomore.

Almost played baseball instead. So glad I chose golf!

Unfortunately I never tried out....I wish I did however. I focused on basketball and volleyball. I don't know that I would have made it, the players on our team were pretty solid.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Note: This thread is 5083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!