IGNORED

The Open Championship

mcfc_nick
Note: This thread is 4896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

and i "love" how they call the "The" Open Championship...so pretentious, like those Ohio State morons who call it "The" Ohio State University. like there arent other open championships...

Considering the fact the The Open Championship, first played in 1860, is 35 years older than any of the other majors, 71 years older than 'The Masters' (arguably an equally pretentious name), and the world's oldest golf tournament, perhaps you'll recondiser your position and forgive the organisers for continuing the tournament's 150 year old naming tradition?

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S9-1 Offset 10.5*
S2 3-W
S9-1 5-W
CPR Rescue 3 Hybrid
AP1 IronsVokey Wedges 56* and 60* Ghost Putter                                                                     Low Score l 71, Par 72 Tiffany Greens (6 Birdies/5 Bogeys)

6 hours and change till we are off...................

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Considering the fact the The Open Championship, first played in 1860, is 35 years older than any of the other majors, 71 years older than 'The Masters' (arguably an equally pretentious name), and the world's oldest golf tournament, perhaps you'll recondiser your position and forgive the organisers for continuing the tournament's 150 year old naming tradition?

Well said

youre right, the masters is equally pretentious, actually i would argue that its many times more pretentious. but i still think just "the open championship" is full of itself. i am aware of the history, the reverance people pay it is warranted. dont take me so seriously.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

and i "love" how they call the "The" Open Championship...so pretentious, like those Ohio State morons who call it "The" Ohio State University. like there arent other open championships...

They were first, at the time there were no US or Western or Asian or Australian Opens to differentiate themselves from.

As for OSU, that is the official name of the college, it's not like their alumni just decide to call it that. But I agree, that is pretentious.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

If you can call it that, lol ..... he's more like a star golfer that will never be a champion golfer

I bet you are a joy to have around the house....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I guess it's settled; next year, the tournament will be called the R&A; Annual Rotating-Site English/Scottish Links Golf Tournament, Eligible to Professionals and Amateurs with a Stroke Index of Two or Less, Provided Entry into Local or International Qualifying. Nothing pretentious about that name.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'm just hoping the winner is a big name player or at least someone who has paid his dues and been close before in the majors, and not some guy who comes from relative obscurity like Ross Fisher (nothing against him, he's a fine player, but seeing a guy like that or Graeme McDowell win just doesn't do it for me).

These are some guys I would like to see win it:

Dustin Johnson - redemption.
Alviro Quiros - the Road Hole as a driveable par 4. (yes, I know it's 495)
Lee Westwood - it’s really his turn.
Paul Casey - I get behind nice guys.
Tim Clark - to show that he truly belongs.
Angel Cabrera - he was my fave before his U.S. Open win, still is.
Gregory Havret - it would be a wonderful story.
Colin Montgomerie - it would be an even better story.

And they're off!

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

JOHN DALY IS BACK at least for 10 holes so far! -6 - not too bad.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

If Viasat does not fix their signal problems soon, I'm going to throw something on the TV. It goes black for 1/4 a second every 3-5 seconds, reheeheally annoying.

It would not hurt the championship if they put some money into better camera angles and possibly equipment. I don't expect the likes of the PGA Tour, but sometimes the camera is moving all over the place, trying to locate the ball.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

If Viasat does not fix their signal problems soon, I'm going to throw something on the TV. It goes black for 1/4 a second every 3-5 seconds, reheeheally annoying.

I heard its a problem with the source feed (aka BBC) - so dont kill your TV - yet.

is anybody still rooting for daly now that he's proven he's not averse to taking money from children?

Not really, and i dont even worry about him - first round results never matter, ESP. with Daly.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

is anybody still rooting for daly now that he's proven he's not averse to taking money from children?

Yes. Great player who deserves his lead currently. Won't last, though.

He is not taking money off children - he is trying to take it off some insurance companies, you know, like AIG? - a rather less sympathetic bunch.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

Note: This thread is 4896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!