bigoak

Shaking Hands With Your Foursome / Removing Your Hat on 18th Green?

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do on the 18th green? (Choose all that apply, and it's anonymous, so be honest.)

• I almost always shake hands.
    • I often shake hands.
    • I sometimes shake hands.
    • I almost always remove my hat.
    • I often remove my hat.
    • I sometimes remove my hat.

213 posts / 35336 viewsLast Reply

I always shake hands, even with my regular buddies.  I also take off my hat as to me it is respectful thing to do and to me is part of the game.

If there is a cute girl in my foursome I try to get a hug in as well.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Don't worry about removing my hat, but always shake hands after the round, even with my regular playing partners. Can't recall playing with anyone who didn't extend that courtesy at the end of the round.

I was shocked that there wasn't a "remove pants" option... and then I remembered... wrong foursome.

Always shake hands.  Sometimes forget to take off the hat.

I always shake hands with people I get paired up with and some friends that I don't play with often. When its just me and a good friend I always go golfing with we don't shake hands, but that's about the only person I don't shake hands with.

I always shake hands with everyone with hat removed. In clubhouse I follow the rule that "gentlemen do not wear hats indoors". I have been in some clubs where anyone who wears their cap into the grill room must buy a round of drinks....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sheesh I didn't realize the importance of doffing the cap. Of course I always, and I mean always, shake hands with everybody. We'll see I'd I remember the hat thing next time.

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

Methinks its one of the nicer unwritten traditions of the game

Can something that just started in the last 10-15 years be a tradition o the game, unwritten or not?  Sounds more like a fad to me.  I guarantee if you watch some of the old events with Jack, Gary and Arnie you won't see players taking off their hats to shake hands on the final green.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Can something that just started in the last 10-15 years be a tradition o the game, unwritten or not?  Sounds more like a fad to me.  I guarantee if you watch some of the old events with Jack, Gary and Arnie you won't see players taking off their hats to shake hands on the final green.

Many of them did not wear hats... And those who did, maybe they assumed that they were equal with each other, so no need to take off hats.

When you play with strangers, even in the "equal" world, you'll never know if the other one is more equal...

To me, it is not just on golf course. If I wear a hat or cap, I take it off e.g. most indoors and also when shaking hands.

"I say Paul, does my filthy hair disgust you?"

"Aye, Richard, it does that. But if we leave them on Stretch will be bloody cross, so let's get it over with!"

x610.jpg

Yeah, hat-doffing is a fairly recent thing. I don't ever recall in my younger days anyone doing it.

But you always shake hands.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Yeah, hat-doffing is a fairly recent thing. I don't ever recall in my younger days anyone doing it.

Other than on television I've never seen the hat doffing.  Not shaking hands is a faux pas, but easily rectified on the walk back to the clubhouse / car / bar etc.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

this /\

I don't think I have ever played a round that didn't end with everyone shaking hands. If I ever had someone walk away after a round without shaking hans, I would be tempted to his putter up his arse.

not that big of a deal, but i think its still important to take off your hat indoors.