IGNORED

When is it too cold to stop playing golf?

Uncle Peter
Note: This thread is 4861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Below 50 is really my limit due to the Oklahoma wind. However, when I lived in Michigan I played numerous rounds in the 30's and 40's.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played Friday, it was in the 40's for most of the morning and turned out to be way too cold for me. I wore a UA cold gear shirt under my golf shirt and a windbreaker over that. I couldn't get warm and loose, not getting any practice in at the range didn't help. I played horrible, my nose ran the entire time, and it just wan't enjoyable. I can play football and run in that weather, but it's too cold for me to golf in.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am most fortunate. I just move back to warmer elevations when it gets too cold and continue on. Some advantages to being older and out of work (retired), not many this is one.

Butch

Wouldn't the question be "When is it too cold to keep playing golf?" but anyway, I basically only play in 60+ degree weather. Since I'm still a beginner, when it gets colder I end up having one more thing to be annoyed about, so it puts me off my game :P

What's in my Tartan Precise TS-869 Bag:
Woods: Northwestern 1W, 3W, stock grip
Hybrids: 855 Graphite shaft 3H, 4H, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Irons: 855 R flex steel shaft 5-PW, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Wedges: PureSpin Tour Series Diamond Face 52* AW, 56* SW, 60* LW, Golf Pride...

If you can putt off the water hazards, get off the course. Other than that, it's all good!

In the  Strata Bag:

3 Wood:  XL

Irons: 4-5:  AP1; 6-PW:  XL

Wedges:  Tour Grind, 52°/60°

Putter:  White Hot XG #9

Balls:  Mojo

Here's the test .

I leave my clubs overnight in the trunk of my car in an unheated garage. I go out in the morning and remove an iron from the bag. If I grip the club and feel the cold steel of the shaft through the grip, it's too cold to play.

That's probably about 40* F.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I would say 43 degrees is the lowest. One question though, Im assuming the courses are closed arent they? so do you just walk on to play

That's an oddly specific number

. A lot of course stay open all year and charge you, and a lot just let you on for nothing. Many places are open as long as there is not snow, and even then some places still let you play.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Not having warm weather gear and my bones aching in cold weather, around 50 degrees is my limit. That being said if the sun is out the wind calm can go if colder. Like an earlier poster said when it's not fun.

I play as long as I can stay comfortable which typically is 32 or above. Played a few rounds below freezing last year with no wind and it wasn't bad at all. Plus, I can walk the course and play in 2 1/2 hours since I rarely see other players out once the temps get below 40 or so.

I keep playing as long as I'm still having fun and the course is still in good shape.

Bag: Stand bag
Driver: 9.5* Mach speed Str8
3 wood: 16* Tight lies
Irons: TA5 gunmetal 3-pw
Wedges: Tour Action 900 56* and 60*Putter: Two ballBalls: Pro V1 lostgolfballs.comGlove: Shoes:

This time of the year, it's about 50 degrees for me. Catch me in January or February when I start getting the itch and you'll find me on the course if it's above 40 and sunny.

Good point, 40* seems to bother me alot more this time of year than it does after facing below freezing temps for a few months.

Joe Paradiso

I was out on the range this morning around 50 and was very comfortable. Wind was blowing quite strong too, maybe 25 mph. One other guy came out while I was out there, but didn't stay as long. It started to rain a little right before I left.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

When I was in college, they once would not let me on because the greens were frozen.

In my old age though, I am pretty much a fair weather golfer. Some where around 50 if the wind chill is not too bad and no rain.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I'll play in 45 degree weather if the sun is out and the wind is down but 45 with wind and clouds is pretty miserable. If I have to bundle up so much that I can't swing it's no fun.

Note: This thread is 4861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!