IGNORED

Spitting on the Golf Course

iacas
Note: This thread is 1939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

36 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about spitting on the golf course?

• No spitting anywhere, ever!
    • Spit in certain locations, not in others.
    • Spit wherever you want.

Originally Posted by RichWW2

I think anywhere but the tee/sand/green is okay to spit. You are outdoors right? A little spit never hurt anything. But then again, I spit clean my ball/clubs so I may be a little biased...

Mental note: outside is fine to spit. Start spitting along busy high streets, at friends' BBQs, in the local kids playground etc.

I think the difference is if you spit clean your ball/clubs it's your spit on your ball/clubs and wiped on your towel. You'd be pretty pissed if I asked to borrow your ball, spat on it and handed back to you right? ;)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Mental note: outside is fine to spit. Start spitting along busy high streets, at friends' BBQs, in the local kids playground etc.

I think the difference is if you spit clean your ball/clubs it's your spit on your ball/clubs and wiped on your towel. You'd be pretty pissed if I asked to borrow your ball, spat on it and handed back to you right? ;)

Haha. I'm not saying spit on small children or anything (as fun as it might be). But in the middle of a golf course whats one drop of spit in the grass. I'll even concede that on nice courses, maybe find a bush or something and not just spitting all over the place. Hasn't anyone ever peed behind a tree or bush in the middle of a round? Maybe I'm the only one? It just seems like the mountain and mole hill situation to me, that's all.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Mental note: don't "lend" anyone your  ball.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Haha. I'm not saying spit on small children or anything (as fun as it might be). But in the middle of a golf course whats one drop of spit in the grass. I'll even concede that on nice courses, maybe find a bush or something and not just spitting all over the place. Hasn't anyone ever peed behind a tree or bush in the middle of a round? Maybe I'm the only one? It just seems like the mountain and mole hill situation to me, that's all.

I do get it though that sometimes a situation occurs where it's necessary to spit, e.g. a fly buzzes into your mouth, you kick up a huge splash of mud that goes into your mouth etc but if someone I was playing golf with was spitting every couple of minutes for seemingly no reason I'd probably have to ask them if they have a problem with their mouth, offer them my bottle of water etc to make it clear I don't find it acceptable.

I do get the feeling however that spitting is far more acceptable in the US than it is in the UK on a golf course.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I do get it though that sometimes a situation occurs where it's necessary to spit, e.g. a fly buzzes into your mouth, you kick up a huge splash of mud that goes into your mouth etc but if someone I was playing golf with was spitting every couple of minutes for seemingly no reason I'd probably have to ask them if they have a problem with their mouth, offer them my bottle of water etc to make it clear I don't find it acceptable.

I do get the feeling however that spitting is far more acceptable in the US than it is in the UK on a golf course.

I don't think anyone should be spitting every couple of minutes, that can't be healthy? I was talking more like what Tiger did in his little incident, just one little bit. If he had spit in the fairway walking up to the green, or in the rough, would anyone have cared? Unless there are laws in Dubai that ban public spitting? It's not like he was spitting at a fan or opponent. He also wasn't being disrespectful at all in my opinion. I guess I just don't quite understand why people could be so upset over a little spit in the grass. Keep it off the tee/bunker/green and there shouldn't be an issue. Also, had he been any a no name golfer in the tournament and not on TV, would anyone have cared? I severely doubt it.

In My Bag:

I don't think anyone should be spitting every couple of minutes, that can't be healthy? I was talking more like what Tiger did in his little incident, just one little bit. If he had spit in the fairway walking up to the green, or in the rough, would anyone have cared? Unless there are laws in Dubai that ban public spitting? It's not like he was spitting at a fan or opponent. He also wasn't being disrespectful at all in my opinion. I guess I just don't quite understand why people could be so upset over a little spit in the grass. Keep it off the tee/bunker/green and there shouldn't be an issue. Also, had he been any a no name golfer in the tournament and not on TV, would anyone have cared? I severely doubt it.

There are a lot of things flying around outside in the summer time. If I feel something foreign in my mouth, I don't mull it over then decide to swallow. No, I spit it out. I don't care if it was a blade of grass, a fly, a false eyelash, whatever. Spit first and ask questions later.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

There are a lot of things flying around outside in the summer time. If I feel something foreign in my mouth, I don't mull it over then decide to swallow. No, I spit it out. I don't care if it was a blade of grass, a fly, a false eyelash, whatever. Spit first and ask questions later.

Someone needs to create a 'Spit first and ask questions later' bumper sticker and attach it to Tigers car. That would be excellent. Anyway, I agree, better to have spit out a bug than never spit at all.

In My Bag:

I think I may have misinterpretted then. I was under the impression from previous posts that people were talking about spitting regularly. One-off, e.g. Tiger isn't a big deal, especially if it's into an area not likely to be touched by people playing.

Regular spitting though, e.g. people who chew tobacco and don't care where they spit or those who have no excuse at all and still spit a lot is not called for.

SWING DNA

I smoke cigars when I golf, subsequently I also expectorate. I will not expectorate on the green, apron or in the tee box. Everywhere else if fair game. If someone doesn't like it, don't watch. I do agree with hock'n up thick, green luggies; if you have to do that then leave it in the bushes.

• 7 years later...
  • Administrator

I'm bringing this topic back, because in a topic about swearing by Brandel Chamblee, a few people get into a discussion over spitting.

I still cannot fathom how offended some people are when another person spits in the weeds behind a tee box or on a tree as they're looking for their ball or whatever. On the putting green? On the tee box? Okay, I get it. Almost anywhere else? I don't get it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

still cannot fathom how offended some people are when another person spits in the weeds behind a tee box or on a tree as they're looking for their ball or whatever. On the putting green? On the tee box? Okay, I get it. Almost anywhere else? I don't get it.

Yeah don't hock a loogie on the green or tee box or as I am getting into my set up before my shot...other than that why would someone care? We are outside after all...

Only thing to add is don't spit remnants of chewing tobacco or sunflower shells on the course. I don't see chewing tobacco all that often, but I do see sunflower shells fairly frequently. I really don't want see that stuff on the course, and I don't want to have to touch it if it somehow ends up on my ball. Sunflower shells on the green ... just no.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I played baseball in college, spitting is what I do. I've never had someone say anything about it to me, but it's basically an involuntary tick anymore. 

Now spitting sunflower seeds in the green, that's a hanging offense as far as I am concerned! 😡

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

A wad of spit dropped right in front of the golf ball on the putting green does wonders for removing backspin in the first few inches of roll off the putter face.

No wonder my golfing buddies don't pick my ball out of the hole and toss it back to me.  And for some reason they never make their putts.  Always take a gimme.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I don't care.  (whether one is personally offended or not is also a moot point).  the spit isn't the issue, but how you conduct yourselve is the point.  Just harmless spit is not really a big deal.

For "more than spit" digressions pointed out in this old thread - Keep the "chunks and gobs" off of the green and tees, don't make a production of it, no sunflowers or wads where my ball might putt over and I'm good with it.  Ditto for your butts, cigars, sunflower seeds, chew residue, and 2nd hand smoke.  Do what you like, but don't do it in a way that's obtusely rude to others.

Spitting into a cup vs into the rough - into the cup is more disgusting that anything I can think of.

The worst thing I've had to deal with in terms of human residue, wasn't harmless spit in the rough, it was disposed cigarette butts in the cart cupholder (where I usually put my rangefinder) - the point is there is a lot worse things people do in this general topic.  Smokers tend to be the worst of the worst.

Bill - 

Never really thought about it. I just thought that when one had to spit, common courtesy should be observed.

That said said, I will always think part Sergio Garcia's legacy will be him spitting into that golf cup. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

36 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Spitting into a cup vs into the rough - into the cup is more disgusting that anything I can think of.

It's definitely disgusting, but more courteous than spitting it all over the course. At least they have one spot they're spitting this stuff into and then (hopefully!) disposing of later. I can't stand the sight of someone's tobacco spit cup, but I'd rather them spit in there and throw the cup away than leaving chewed up tobacco all over the course.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!