IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

I don't blame her, though, it was a life or death situation.  You see, she has a tiny two-day old scratch on her knee and she needed a band-aid.  First she wanted a Cinderella band-aid, so mommy opened it up, but then she decided after it was too late that she wanted a different princess.  You can hear when she screams at 0:20 that "I want Belle!!!!!!!"

I didn't actually get to watch the tournament though, so I didn't see her actually using it.  Has anybody ever seen her (or anybody else) doing a midpoint read on TV?  I still hope to see that one of these days.

Well of course she wants Belle, who wouldn't! :-D

OK, now I am going to have to find out about express myself.  I will have to find an instructor.  I have been very good with the midpoint read, but as an engineer, it annoys me that I don't know how something works!!!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Someone just texted me that they saw Adam Scott using Express...?

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Someone just texted me that they saw Adam Scott using Express...?

[Video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyQH6wFfYww&feature;=youtu.be[/Video]

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

[Video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyQH6wFfYww&feature;=youtu.be[/Video]

Nice! ...I don't get out much.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Photo of Scott using it. http://twitter.com/brobypga/status/470708591012220928/photo/1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I've somehow become pretty good at finding the "0" (either I've just gotten good, or I know my practice green...), so I know how far I am from the hole and where I am on the "clock", but I'm TERRIBLE at estimating slope.

I have one of those Breakmaster things and when I try to figure out how much slope I'm feeling, I'm waaaaaay off.

Any tips/drills/suggestions for learning this?  This is crazy accurate.  I need to get better at this.

I've somehow become pretty good at finding the "0" (either I've just gotten good, or I know my practice green...), so I know how far I am from the hole and where I am on the "clock", but I'm TERRIBLE at estimating slope.

I have one of those Breakmaster things and when I try to figure out how much slope I'm feeling, I'm waaaaaay off.

Any tips/drills/suggestions for learning this?  This is crazy accurate.  I need to get better at this.

Practice measuring the slope and check it versus the level reading.  You should do this a lot to get good at it and get a fast read.  Sometimes I find it easier to close my eyes to feel the slope and not let the optical illusion that the designer put into the green affect my read.

Second, shoes are important.  Lower heel shoes like True Links models and Foot Joy M-Project are better because you can feel the slope of the green better.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Practice measuring the slope and check it versus the level reading.  You should do this a lot to get good at it and get a fast read.  Sometimes I find it easier to close my eyes to feel the slope and not let the optical illusion that the designer put into the green affect my read.

Second, shoes are important.  Lower heel shoes like True Links models and Foot Joy M-Project are better because you can feel the slope of the green better.

These are good points.  I'll just add that you should find a 2% slope on a practice green and think of that as "average."  The book actually refers to 2% as avg, I believe.  If you can recognize what 2% looks like, then you should be able to recognize any slope as less than that, i.e. 1%, more, i.e. 3%, or much more, i.e. 4%.  I find that to be helpful.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

These are good points.  I'll just add that you should find a 2% slope on a practice green and think of that as "average."  The book actually refers to 2% as avg, I believe.  If you can recognize what 2% looks  feels like, then you should be able to recognize any slope as less than that, i.e. 1%, more, i.e. 3%, or much more, i.e. 4%.  I find that to be helpful.

Fixed that for you. ;-)

This is similar to how I learned, BTW.  Feel the slope, find the zero, now if you can't quite tell if it's steep or flat, if you're unsure, it's 2.  Then work up or down from there.

Also, don't forget about 0% too.  I sometimes work and work to find the slope and talk myself into playing for some break that just isn't there.  I've stopped overthinking it lately.  Sometimes it's just flat and straight, so don't give away the hole.

Fixed that for you.

This is similar to how I learned, BTW.  Feel the slope, find the zero, now if you can't quite tell if it's steep or flat, if you're unsure, it's 2.  Then work up or down from there.

Also, don't forget about 0% too.  I sometimes work and work to find the slope and talk myself into playing for some break that just isn't there.  I've stopped overthinking it lately.  Sometimes it's just flat and straight, so don't give away the hole.

I find those much harder than anything else.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I recorded the same thing. No babies, though. Sorry.

Slightly better version yet:

Was watching TGC last night and they were showing the Pro-Am for this weeks LPGA event.  Jerry Foltz did a follow-up interview with Stacy Lewis on this, and it was much more extensive - she basically explained and demonstrated the entire routine.  (Sorry, didn't tape it)

5 minutes later he asked Lydia Ko about reading greens and she said she was going to meet with Mark Sweeney pretty soon and learn Aimpoint Express as well.

Looks like the word is starting to get out quickly and Mr. Sweeney possibly has a big year in store for him!!

Was watching TGC last night and they were showing the Pro-Am for this weeks LPGA event.  Jerry Foltz did a follow-up interview with Stacy Lewis on this, and it was much more extensive - she basically explained and demonstrated the entire routine.  (Sorry, didn't tape it)

5 minutes later he asked Lydia Ko about reading greens and she said she was going to meet with Mark Sweeney pretty soon and learn Aimpoint Express as well.

Looks like the word is starting to get out quickly and Mr. Sweeney possibly has a big year in store for him!!

And we were in on the ground floor!  To bad their were no stock options!!

Scott

My Swing Thread

Not if Stacey Lewis keeps doing this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Jerry Foltz did a follow-up interview with Stacy Lewis on this, and it was much more extensive - she basically explained and demonstrated the entire routine.

:doh::-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Not if Stacey Lewis keeps doing this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Jerry Foltz did a follow-up interview with Stacy Lewis on this, and it was much more extensive - she basically explained and demonstrated the entire routine.

LOL ... that's why I didn't tape it and post it. :-P It was not quite specific enough for people who have never taken an aimpoint class, but I think it was enough information for me to fiddle around with it.

She talked about using your feet and figuring out "if it's a one, two, three, of four" but she never quite explained those numbers.  Current aimpointers would know, but others probably wouldn't.  And she was vague again when she said you "stand here if its a 7, here if its an 8, a 9" etc, without explaining those numbers either.

So I think she gave just enough info to intrigue some people (again, it was the LPGA Wed pro-am so, maybe, what, 8 viewers???) but not too much that she just gave it all away.

So I think she gave just enough info to intrigue some people (again, it was the LPGA Wed pro-am so, maybe, what, 8 viewers???) but not too much that she just gave it all away.

Seriously! :-P 3 viewers less than a lawn-bowling qualifier round.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I took the Aimpoint introduction class 2-3 years ago and want to take an express class.  There are no scheduled clinics near me. Can you call up an authorized instructor, meet at his club practice green and he'll teach you express in an hour?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Has anyone been able to join the Facebook group?I hate Facebook groups because I don't want to announce to the world everything I do or like, but I found the old forum to be really helpful. Anyway, I tried to join months ago and was never accepted. Tried to contact mark and John Graham (he's one of the admins), but still nothing.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff