IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:21 AM, nevets88 said:

Forgot to switch to golf shoes last round and played wearing sneakers instead. It was weird maybe a litle harder at first trying to gauge the slope with the padding and being higher off the ground. Never thought about it but with Trues, barely anything between you and the ground, reading the slope is easier?

I have seen both Mark and John where either Trues or some other minimalist golf shoe.  So I would think so.  I have a few pair of Trues and think it helps.

I went to the new Aimpoint speed control sessions the other day. Has helped me immensely in what was occasionally a costly weakness for me. Three putted once in my two rounds since and has given me more confidence in my putting generally.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 weeks later...

Blast-The AimPoint Story

Is there a clinic for this? OK, nevermind, I'm late hearing about this. 

https://blastmotion.com/products/golf/#app

https://blastmotion.com/about/press/blast-motion-announces-aimpoint-golf-game-improvement-partnership/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...

I took an Aimpoint Express 1 class yesterday and absolutely loved it.    I learned a lot and put it to use today on the golf course.   I can  see it taking some time to learn the variances in slope.   My instructor had a Husky 9" digital level.   I stopped on the way home from the class and Home Depot only carried a 10" digital level.   Will the 10" work as well?

Thanks for your help.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

(edited)

13 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I took an Aimpoint Express 1 class yesterday and absolutely loved it.    I learned a lot and put it to use today on the golf course.   I can  see it taking some time to learn the variances in slope.   My instructor had a Husky 9" digital level.   I stopped on the way home from the class and Home Depot only carried a 10" digital level.   Will the 10" work as well?

Thanks for your help.

When I was learning the slopes, I used the "Tiltmeter" app for iPhone. Free, worked well.

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
8 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I stopped on the way home from the class and Home Depot only carried a 10" digital level.   Will the 10" work as well?

Yeah, that's what they sell now.

8 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

When I was learning the slopes, I used the "Tiltmeter" app for iPhone. Free, worked well.

Does it measure in %?

Note that a 4% slope is only a 4% slope if it's in the right direction. Many of the phone apps just tell you "4%"… not in the direction you care about.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Does it measure in %?

Note that a 4% slope is only a 4% slope if it's in the right direction. Many of the phone apps just tell you "4%"… not in the direction you care about.

Yes, % and direction. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

YMMV, but I purchased a well reviewed iOS level app and compared it to the Husky, I got a lot of variance in the comparisons I just wound up using the Husky exclusively.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Yes, % and direction. 

That still doesn't necessarily help you is what I'm saying. If you're 37° to a 4% slope, do you do trigonometry to figure out your number?

It has to tell you what the slope is along an axis you specify to be helpful.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
13 minutes ago, iacas said:

That still doesn't necessarily help you is what I'm saying. If you're 37° to a 4% slope, do you do trigonometry to figure out your number?

It has to tell you what the slope is along an axis you specify to be helpful.

Oh yes, I see you're question now.  I found the app helpful for training my feet to feel the correct amount of slope for the break (which what I interpreted to be the purpose of the OP's question)....not for factoring in the the final AimPoint based on the other variables of slope in relation to green anchors, etc

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

21 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Oh yes, I see you're question now.  I found the app helpful for training my feet to feel the correct amount of slope for the break (which what I interpreted to be the purpose of the OP's question)....not for factoring in the the final AimPoint based on the other variables of slope in relation to green anchors, etc

I meant dennyjones question, not OP

-Jonny

I don't think a level is necessary.  I started my training with a level and % slope but after the first couple of uses never used the level again.

I now just think in terms of number of fingers as in, "that feels like a 2 finger break".  That is constantly being adjusted/refined on the practice green during practice or pre-round warm-up and during a round.  You get your feedback by watching the break of the putt and comparing that to what you thought it would be.  AimPoint teaches to make these adjustments anyways based on the speed of the green.

I suppose a level is a nice way to practice away from the putting green but other than that I don't see the benefit.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I now just think in terms of number of fingers as in, "that feels like a 2 finger break".  That is constantly being adjusted/refined on the practice green during practice or pre-round warm-up and during a round.  You get your feedback by watching the break of the putt and comparing that to what you thought it would be.  AimPoint teaches to make these adjustments anyways based on the speed of the green.

I suppose a level is a nice way to practice away from the putting green but other than that I don't see the benefit.

A level is useful for practicing on the putting green. And the adjustment you make for green speeds is not finding a different number.

We recommend to all of our students that they get a level. Five to ten minutes a month is beneficial.

3 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I don't think a level is necessary.  I started my training with a level and % slope but after the first couple of uses never used the level again.

I don't think you're using the level right then. An AimPoint read is a skill, like all skills, needs to be kept sharp. The only way to do that is to calibrate yourself once in a while.

If you keep changing what your feel for a 2 is, you're not really using AimPoint correctly. A 2 is a 2, period. The only adjustment you make is for speed, which you can use your level to determine on the practice green.

I have a driveway marker marked out as a calibration stick that I use when I'm diligent enough to. Tells me exactly what stimp the green is rolling.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

As a point of encouragement for perspective students, in the 5 rounds immediately preceding AimPoint Express, I had a whopping 21 three-putts. In the 5 rounds immediately following my introduction to AimPoint Express, I had only 5.

Needless to say, my putting average has improved considerably.

-Jonny

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

As a point of encouragement for perspective students, in the 5 rounds immediately preceding AimPoint Express, I had a whopping 21 three-putts. In the 5 rounds immediately following my introduction to AimPoint Express, I had only 5.

Needless to say, my putting average has improved considerably.

I'm curious during the same time you cited an improvement in your putting average what was your GIR% and was it higher or lower than the 5 rounds preceding your AP Express training?  

Joe Paradiso

(edited)
39 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I'm curious during the same time you cited an improvement in your putting average what was your GIR% and was it higher or lower than the 5 rounds preceding your AP Express training?  

Two of the last 5 rounds had an increase in GIR% (typically 4 per round up to 6-10), which I intutively think would result in longer 1st putts than if chipping onto the green... making the putting improvements even more impressive.

Admittedly, I haven't given much thought to length of 1st putts since I don't record that statistic, but having said that I can't argue with the obvious improvements in reduction of three putts.

image.jpg

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny