IGNORED

Playing alone?

Inebriated
Note: This thread is 4685 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

99.9% of my play is alone.  I actually quite enjoy it.  While I usually won't turn down playing with someone else, my schedule allows for a lot of last minute play so it's just more a matter of convenience!!!

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

i play alone all the time. I find it to be better if you really want to work on your game and hit a few balls and try to hit diffrent shots. If i play alone while playing not practicing i can easily finish up 9 holes in like 45 mins to an hour

I play alone probably 50% of the time, I tee of these days at 5:30AM on the back 9 and usually finish by 7AM at the latest.   I find playing alone very relaxing, except when I am chucking my clubs across the course.  :)

Brad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The one thing I should add is that I don't mind playing alone when the course is empty but if I get stuck behind a slow group or two it kills me.  Slow rounds are much more enjoyable with people to talk to.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by Inebriated

Anyone here play alone? I've got no one available to golf this week, but I really want to get out there and get some practice. I only plan on 9 holes. Anyone ever go alone?

I often go as a single, but I almost never play alone.  I really don't like playing alone, I find it fairly boring.  Like hitting balls on the range, I just don't get the same feeling as I do playing with other people.  I look at each time I get paired with strangers as another opportunity to make new golfing friends.  I enjoy golf as a social activity as well as a competition, and both aspects require more than one person in the group.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I play alone about 50% of the time (I usually play twilight hours). About 40% of the time I get paired with someone else and once in a while I bring my wife or friend. I generally play my best golf alone, but I can sometimes rush myself or become absent-minded, so playing with others regularly is helpful.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by Inebriated

Anyone here play alone? I've got no one available to golf this week, but I really want to get out there and get some practice. I only plan on 9 holes. Anyone ever go alone?

Play alone??....Ok, I do but only late evenings when I can "haul @ss".........I'll skip holes to play around people and maybe log 27 holes in a couple hours.

Then there is going to the course as a "walk on single" pairing up.................why wouldn't you/anyone????  In many ways, you get to meet a lot of nice people.  The only downside is you are occasionally paired with s slow group that doesn't keep up...VERY PAINFUL...but that doesn't happen very often.

Is that what you are talking about........saturday prime time morning......and you worry about going to the course by yourself and getting paired up???    Hell yea......do it!!!!!!!!!!  Your partners don't care what you shoot......so long as you don't cause the group to fall a hole behind, they won't care.  I play a lot of prime time golf and pair up..............I prefer it because I play when I want to play....IE....early on weekends without a tee time.

my 3 cents....LOL

PS...I will NEVER EVER play alone behind traffic....who would submit themselves to such torture?.....If I am alone on the course and hit a logjam....I will either skip past the traffice or join-up with a group on course if there is nowhere to go.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I try to play alone most of the time, but I usually end up getting paired up with people.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

how can anyone play alone "most of the time"....

I cant quite comprehend that....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

The best part about playing alone is that  you don't have to help someone else find their ball.  I hit it so short, I have to be in the fairway

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Two summers ago I'd say 65-70% of my golf was solitary.  I would usually go to a course about 25-30 minutes outside town (Buffalo, NY) and play right at the first twilight time (3pm).  Hardly anyone else out there, even on nice days, and it was often drizzling, which meant I'd often have the course, or at least one side of it, all to myself.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

It's hard to comprehend many on here - the ones who dont like to socialize and would rather play alone, the ones that refuse to enjoy a 4 hour round of golf because they feel the need to rush through a 2 hour round. I will never understand any of them - but to each their own. If I dont have time time to enjoy a round - what's the point?

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Do you mean how can I tolerate being by myself, or how do I manage to get out on the course without getting paired up? Assuming the former, the main reason is that not a lot of my friends play golf, or at least not as often as me. I generally play with a few friends maybe 4 times a year, and with my father maybe 5 times a year, but the other times I'm usually by myself. It's not anti-social, or asocial, or an aversion to being around people, I just like my round of golf to be a quiet, relaxing time. It's fun. I have plenty of other time to socialize.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

This is also an introvert/extrovert dichotomy that you can spend thousands of pages writing about. It's the same as the empty range, you take a spot, there are a million other spots open, some guys will go up right next to you, others will give you space.

You live in a city where there are wall to wall people on top of you, below you, jammed up close all sweaty in a subway, where everything you do affects your neighbors in a way where living in suburbia doesn't, London, NY, Paris, Beijing, believe you me, you will look forward to getting away from people and noise.

If you want to practice, playing alone is very good for this, hit multiple balls, do whatever you want. Other times, you just want to play and socialize.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I play alone maybe 30% of the time, but usually just because there is no one I can hook up with.  I love meeting people and playing with folks I've never met before, so I frequently ask the pro if he can hook me up with someone.  I think this comes from being an only child who spent too much of his youth on the golf course.  The public courses I played growing up were always busy, so I was always joining up with strangers: I'd play with anyone as long as the pro would send me out :-)

I almost never use a score from an alone round for handicap, it just doesn't quite feel real to me.  It's probably a bit unusual, but I don't typically play very well by myself.  When I do play alone, like others have said, it's a great time to practice and experiment.  I like to do things like hit two drives, one draw and one fade, or 1 driver and 1 3 wood.  Or I might hit a couple of different approach shots, hit a couple extra out of the sand, etc.  I also redo a lot of missed putts .  I can get around in 2.5 to 3 hours by myself.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

I usually end up playing alone, but not by choice.  I simply don't know anyone -- Moved to a new city for work a year or so ago, nobody I work with plays.

Kinda funny;  I'm definitely leaning toward the introverted side of the spectrum, but I'd rather have a playing partner.  I don't seem to focus nearly as well when I'm on my own.  I played a tournament recently, which pressed my social capacity beyond the limit -- So that's TOO many people, heh.  Ideal for me would be an afternoon/morning double.

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

Originally Posted by meenman

It's hard to comprehend many on here - the ones who dont like to socialize and would rather play alone, the ones that refuse to enjoy a 4 hour round of golf because they feel the need to rush through a 2 hour round. I will never understand any of them - but to each their own. If I dont have time time to enjoy a round - what's the point?

You can finish a round in three hours easy without rushing.

I play alone around 75% of the time just because I don't have any friends that want to play near as much as I do.  I usually go 2-3 times a week and not many other people are up for that. I don't mind pairing up with random people but the course I play at is not usually very busy so it does not happen a lot.

Had no idea so many people played alone! And I also didn't know so many people did walk-on. It's like it's the "cool" thing lol.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Note: This thread is 4685 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!