IGNORED

Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame

iacas
Note: This thread is 2197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pete Rose be in baseball's Hall of Fame

• Yes
    • No

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Maybe Rose will get voted into the HOF post humously so he can't do anything to embarrass MLB

I actually agree with the notion that he gets in, but after he passes. Rose makes a mockery of the HOF by holding signing events during the induction weekend, and he has not tried to earn his way back in by getting in the good graces of writers or the commissioner. Sure he has a grudge, but it because of his own actions that he is in this circumstance.

Rose is very much "in" the HOF, as his records and his memorabilia are prominently displayed in Cooperstown. But, IMO, if Rose were to be elected then he would use this as yet another avenue of self-promotion (like it has been reported that he sold multiple authentic bats/balls used in record breaking games).

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

What really needs brought to light about Rose betting on baseball was the fact he was the manager of the reds and was able to have the final decision on starting pitching and rotations. His job was to manage a team through a 162 game season not do everything possible to win this game today cause 10k was riding on it. Because of his gamblig problem it is very easy to believe decisions were made about players availability and health with how much of "Petes" money was at stake. The fact he was a manager of a team really compromised the integrity of the reds season along with baseball in general. I really don't know what the HOF should do, this is really difficult because heres a guy with the all time "hits" total but at the same time did something to tarnish the results in the game during the years he managed.

I voted no. If he actually stuck to his guns and took it to the grave with him I would have said yes.  Instead he decided to sell books.

I say no.  The cardinal sin in baseball is gambling.  All the players know it.  They know it from day one.  Rose knew it, and he knew that doing it could get him banned for life.  He still did it.  Then he lied about it, now he seems to be telling half truths about it so he can sell books while still not coming out as a complete villain.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I'd like to see him in the Hall of Fame for purely selfish reasons... I have a baseball that he autographed to me when he was in Tampa for spring training while he was a player for the Reds.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Thread resurrection! :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not sure how I missed this one the first time around, but I'm a "yes"! It's about the baseball .........

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Someone on Around the Horn (can't remember who it was) had a good point yesterday. The Baseball HOF is no longer a HOF, it's a shrine to an idealistic game that no longer exists, or never did. There was an interesting article in the New York Times on Tuesday about players with questionable character in the HOF. Worth a read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/sports/baseball/baseball-hall-of-fame-has-always-made-room-for-infamy.html?_r=0

Tyler Martin

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

http://rookie.com/25th-anniversary-of-pete-roses-banishment

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 5 months later...
I hope the new commissioner will really look into reinstating Pete Rose into the game... even if that he is on probation for 1-3 years... maybe keep him off of the ballot his first year after reinstatement but put him on the ballot after... he's apologized and made a huge change in his life, it's about Damn time Pete Rose gets into the Hall of Fame...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I have no problem with banning people from working for MLB in any capacity but I don't carry that connection to the HOF. I consider the Hall of Fame as a museum of history and I can't see banning history.

I wouldn't even have a problem if they put on his plaque or display that he was banned but kids visiting the hall should see and know about the all time hits leader.

And I was never a Rose fan (mostly because he played for the wrong team). ;-)

I have no problem with banning people from working for MLB in any capacity but I don't carry that connection to the HOF. I consider the Hall of Fame as a museum of history and I can't see banning history.  I wouldn't even have a problem if they put on his plaque or display that he was banned but kids visiting the hall should see and know about the all time hits leader. And I was never a Rose fan (mostly because he played for the wrong team). ;-)

I went last month. They have quite a bit of stuff about him. Bonds, Clemens, Shoeless Joe as well. Kind of odd that they're too stubborn to give him a real induction and plaque.

Riley

PUT HIM IN. And while we're at it, PUT SHOELESS JOE IN.

Agreed.

Technically, weren't both 'lifetime' bans? If so, Shoeless Joe is dead. So the ban should be over since his life is.

Agreed.

Technically, weren't both 'lifetime' bans? If so, Shoeless Joe is dead. So the ban should be over since his life is.

No, Pete Rose signed that he would be "Permanently Ineligible" from Baseball. This was when he finally said he did bet on baseball and to stop further investigation he signed an agreement to be "Permanently Ineligible", and signed away any formal reporting on this to bury it. Basically there is more to the story than him just betting on baseball.

"Permanently Ineligible" means that even after he dies, he will still be banned from baseball. Meaning he will NEVER be available to the Hall of Fame, until a commissioner removes the ban. Part of the "Permanently Ineligible" is to be able to appeal it yearly. So the power to revoke this is solely on the commissioner of baseball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Like I said put him on conditional status or probation and allow him to come back... he has paid his dues and apologized and made big changes in his life... 25 years is a long time... time for parole... give him a chance... I think he can go manage like a Venezuelan or Dominican Winter League team... because they have no affiliation with MLB I believe... I think the new commissioner should allow him a chance to prove he's changed...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Yes, just because he did something after his playing career does not somehow negate his 4,000 + hits.

Do you really think he started betting on baseball only after he stopped playing?

I hated him when he played for the Reds, but I loved Pete Rose because of the way he changed the culture on the Phillies and helped get them over the hump for their first WS championship. That said, I think he should still be banned from baseball for betting on games. I also think he should be in the HOF. They are not the same thing.

Bill M

• 4 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 2197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!