IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

Chest/Shoulders today.

Bench Press: 2 Warmup @ 135, 205x2, 18 5x6, 185x6, 175x8, 175x6, 175x6, 155x9, 155x10.

Weighted Dips (25 lbs): 9 reps, 7 reps

Non-weighted: 15 reps, 10 reps

Standing Barbell Shoulder Presses:: 65x15, 75x9, 75x9, 75x8

Rear-Lateral Raises: 10x12, 25x12, 25x10

Feels good to be back in the 200 club on the bench.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Chest/Shoulders today.

Feels good to be back in the 200 club on the bench.

It would be interesting to see what my maxes are. I don't have the equipment to test. The Planet Fitness has a Smith Machine set up. Though I am not sure I am comfortable lifting that much with out a spotter.

Congrats! I'm hoping to be there next Spring.

How much rest did you take between each set on bench?

Thanks, and good luck! Not much. Probably about a minute or two. May attempt 220 next week.

It would be interesting to see what my maxes are. I don't have the equipment to test. The Planet Fitness has a Smith Machine set up. Though I am not sure I am comfortable lifting that much with out a spotter.

If you don't bench frequently...probably low. That's why I never thought bench was a good indicator of strength. There's a lot of technique and muscle memory that goes into it, and it doesn't necessarily translate to real strength.

And the Smith machine wouldn't be a good indicator, as you don't have to stabilize the bar.

If you don't bench frequently...probably low. That's why I never thought bench was a good indicator of strength. There's a lot of technique and muscle memory that goes into it, and it doesn't necessarily translate to real strength.

And the Smith machine wouldn't be a good indicator, as you don't have to stabilize the bar.

I know, but it would just be fun to see how much I could bench.

Been eating a lot and working out at a hotel gym the last four days. Sucks not to have a barbell or kettlebell so I've been mostly using dumbbells.

Routine has been something like this,

5x10 Goblet squats 50lb

3x10 Double Hammer curls, 30lbs

3x10 Double Skull crushers, 25lbs

3x10 Double Flys 20lbs

3x10 Double Tricep extensions 25lbs

3x10 Double Presses, 40lbs

Then throwing in some abs stuff, farmers carry, bench press with the dumbbells, overhead squats with a weighted poll.

Yesterday - Squat 205 lbs - 2x5 then I bonked. Not eating enough food is hurting my progress. The holiday should help me get on track with that. OH Press 70lbs - 5x5 Deadlift 255lbs - 1x5

After yesterday's turkey/ham dinner, with all the trimmings, which also included several types of creme pies, I am looking a 2500' vertical elevation change hike to a local hill top. The dogs are looking a little fat, so they might be going too. I figure about 4-5 hours up, and back.

Thanksgiving eats made me strong.

Put up 235 on the bench today. Unfortunately tweaked something in my neck working shoulders...feels like it's a nerve. Hoping I'm back at it in a day or two but we'll see.

Starting to feel better today. Will play it by ear whether I'll lift tonight or not.

Definitely re-aggravated a nerve in my neck that I messed up snowboarding in February. Causes near constant pain in my right shoulder, but I don't feel I've lost any strength...and lifting cautiously shouldn't affect it.

Starting to feel better today. Will play it by ear whether I'll lift tonight or not.

Definitely re-aggravated a nerve in my neck that I messed up snowboarding in February. Causes near constant pain in my right shoulder, but I don't feel I've lost any strength...and lifting cautiously shouldn't affect it.

Try cutting the weight down significantly and do a test set.  See how it feels after.

If you can bench more, bench more. That's one thing I don't like about Stronglifts is that recommendation. You should be benching the maximum weight you can for 5 sets of 5 reps. Otherwise, you aren't gaining any strength, and you aren't pushing yourself. When I did stronglifts, I did it my way...there order/sets/reps, but I didn't start with the bar. I started with the heaviest weight I could properly do the exercise with. And then my strength went through the roof. Think of it this way...you're maxing out your barbell rows...so you're crushing your back...really working it hard...and then it has you going half-assed on your chest since you don't have to work to get the bar up for 5 reps...

Bumped the bench up to 135 today and felt good, thanks for the recommendation. I bought and read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe over the weekend. So much detail on form and mechanics. Fantastic read. As a result I am adjusting my squat form. My knees were tracking way too far inward forcing a forward lean, back soreness, and loss of strength. I dialed back the weight/reps and focused on form. Back felt great. Today: Squat - 185 x 5 x 3 Bench - 135 x 5 x 3 Pull-ups - BW x 12 Bike sprints - 15s x 5

As a result I am adjusting my squat form. My knees were tracking way too far inward forcing a forward lean, back soreness, and loss of strength.

I had that same issue. Fixed my starting position and got the knees out a little and it's helped greatly. Always used to get lower back soreness from squats.