IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

[QUOTE name="Golfingdad" url="/t/54241/your-workout-today/1602#post_1100517"]   I actually do not really have a specific goal, it's more just about feeling better and trying to help ensure that my back stays healthy.  However, to setup the fitness plan on the fitbit, it asked me for a goal weight, so I gave it 215.  That may be a tad low for my height/body type, so I may re-evaluate as I get closer, but it's good for now. I don't watch that show either, but my wife likes to watch the finales, and it happened to be on last night.  It's hard not to be inspired when you watch the stories of guys who went from 460 pounds one day to 230 pounds 5 or 6 months later. [/QUOTE] Ahh, well, good luck.  I'm sure feeling better will help your golf game, too. :-) [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/54241/your-workout-today/1602#post_1100537"]   Wow, that is impressive. . . I'm holding at a "trim" 201. :-X , but I think my body type and age (light to leaning medium) has me at 170-175 pounds at 5'10.5" with something like 15% body fat. Not really sure how low I can get to and still be healthy, but at one time on a vegan diet I was at 158 pounds. I had a six pack, sigh, to be young again. . . [/QUOTE] I'm always amazed by the BMI charts.  According to the chart, at 5'10.5", 175 pounds, you'd be on the border between normal and overweight. The BMI chart considers me obese, yet, what I picture in my head as obese is very different than what I see when I look in the mirror.  Am I overweight, absolutely, but if I get down to 225, I'll just nudge into the overweight category and wouldn't be normal unless I got down to 186 which.  I'm not sure how someone with my body type (wide shoulders, big back) would look.  Then again, maybe my definition of normal isn't realistic. This is the table I used: [URL=https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_tbl.pdf]https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_tbl.pdf[/URL]

Or their definition is unrealistic? You're right about me at 175 too. 165 would be nice, but sub 10% body fat will be hard for me to do again especially at my age unless I get sick or something. Knocking on wood. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ahh, well, good luck.  I'm sure feeling better will help your golf game, too.

I'm always amazed by the BMI charts.  According to the chart, at 5'10.5", 175 pounds, you'd be on the border between normal and overweight.

The BMI chart considers me obese, yet, what I picture in my head as obese is very different than what I see when I look in the mirror.  Am I overweight, absolutely, but if I get down to 225, I'll just nudge into the overweight category and wouldn't be normal unless I got down to 186 which.  I'm not sure how someone with my body type (wide shoulders, big back) would look.  Then again, maybe my definition of normal isn't realistic.

This is the table I used: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_tbl.pdf

BMI is a proxy for body fat percentage.  It works for most people but not everyone.  It especially doesn't work for athletes/body builders and others that have an unusual amount of muscle mass.

At 5'10.5" (my exact height also), you would have to be extremely muscular to be at a healthy body fat % if you weigh 225 lbs.  But, I suppose it's possible.  Regardless, if one thinks that BMI doesn't apply to them and they're interested in knowing if they're at a healthy weight... then, they should have their body fat % tested.  That is the true test.  BMI is just a proxy.

I have a friend who is about 5'8", weighs about 230 lbs. and thinks if he lost 30 lbs. he'd be at a good weight.  He thinks he's stocky.  I pointed out how he looked in a photo when he was 22 years old and in shape, he doesn't have a stocky body type he just looks that way now with all his body fat.  How much did he weigh then?  150bs.  Given that he's 61 and has lost a lot of muscle mass over the years (as most do), he should actually weigh less than what he weighed when he was 22. And 150lbs. or less lines up properly with the BMI chart.  Like many, he's just kidding himself.

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/54241/your-workout-today/1602#post_1100614"]   Ahh, well, good luck.  I'm sure feeling better will help your golf game, too. :-) I'm always amazed by the BMI charts.  According to the chart, at 5'10.5", 175 pounds, you'd be on the border between normal and overweight. The BMI chart considers me obese, yet, what I picture in my head as obese is very different than what I see when I look in the mirror.  Am I overweight, absolutely, but if I get down to 225, I'll just nudge into the overweight category and wouldn't be normal unless I got down to 186 which.  I'm not sure how someone with my body type (wide shoulders, big back) would look.  Then again, maybe my definition of normal isn't realistic. This is the table I used: [URL=https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_tbl.pdf]https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_tbl.pdf[/URL] [/QUOTE] BMI is a proxy for body fat percentage.  It works for most people but not everyone.  It especially doesn't work for athletes/body builders and others that have an unusual amount of muscle mass. At 5'10.5" (my exact height also), you would have to be extremely muscular to be at a healthy body fat % if you weigh 225 lbs.  But, I suppose it's possible.  Regardless, if one thinks that BMI doesn't apply to them and they're interested in knowing if they're at a healthy weight... then, they should have their body fat % tested.  That is the true test.  BMI is just a proxy. I have a friend who is about 5'8", weighs about 230 lbs. and thinks if he lost 30 lbs. he'd be at a good weight.  He thinks he's stocky.  I pointed out how he looked in a photo when he was 22 years old and in shape, he doesn't have a stocky body type he just looks that way now with all his body fat.  How much did he weigh then?  150bs.  Given that he's 61 and has lost a lot of muscle mass over the years (as most do), he should actually weigh less than what he weighed when he was 22. And 150lbs. or less lines up properly with the BMI chart.  Like many, he's just kidding himself.

No doubt, I would like to be lighter, stating this as I just finished a 4 course company luncheon with 800 or more fat calories. At our height and build, 165 is a really good weight, but I might need to get sub 10% body fat to accomplish this feat. 170 is comfortable, but I feel good being near the 200 mark and plan to lose 20 more through more cardio like treadmills?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Warm up

X2

Deadlift with shrugs 135 15 reps

10 plate halo presses. (5 each side)

3x3

Power clean 135

Pull up

Double kb press24kg

3x3

Deadlift 225

Chin ups

Burpie push ups

5x5

Front Squat 95lb

Strict press 95lb

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

x5

Bench 155

15 Hammer swings each arm

5 ring push ups

15 barbell thrusters 95

Tire flips

and KB class

Mike McLoughlin

Now into week 4 of Insanity - would thoroughly recommend it. I'm not weighing myself as it's more for muscle tone than anything else, but I've definitely lost more weight in the last three weeks than I have in any number of weeks of irregular gym sessions. Loads of aerobic stuff and a bit more stretching than I'm used to. It ramps up in two weeks time, so that should be the next fun challenge!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Bench

6x4 135

Behind the head presses

4x5 65

Ring pushups

4x10

and Kettlebell class

Mike McLoughlin

Man, unless shoveling snow counts as working out (thanks for that, Mother Nature), I really dropped the ball this past week by only working out once. :no:

Sucks when life gets busy and other things start taking more of a priority.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Man, unless shoveling snow counts as working out (thanks for that, Mother Nature), I really dropped the ball this past week by only working out once.

Shoveling snow absolutely counts. :-)

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

Man, unless shoveling snow counts as working out (thanks for that, Mother Nature), I really dropped the ball this past week by only working out once.

Shoveling snow absolutely counts. :-)

As long as you don't feel that your tired body deserves a 6 pack or two, and then act on that feeling. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Got back on the horse today and did some strength training and treadmill.

Bent-Over Dumbbell Rows 30 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps
Upright rows 30 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps
Dumbbell Curls 10 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps

502 calories burned on the treadmill.

I am curious about something and was hoping someone wiser than I would be able to answer my question.

Before today, the last two weeks I haven't worked out.  For the most part during this two week period, I have been good about my calorie intake but I have had 4 days out of the last 13 where my calorie intake was between 2000-3000 calories in a day, averaging 1,846 per day.  Normally, I try to limit my calorie intake to 1750.  Even though I've stayed within my 1750 calorie limit on most days, on 7 of those days, my carb intake has been greater than my goal of 131g per day, and have averaged 162g of carbs over the 13 day period.

That said, I have lost 2 pounds the last two weeks and would have thought even though I haven't worked out and have had some days of greater than my normal calorie intake, I would have lost more than 2 pounds because I think I burn more than 2000 calories a day normally.  I know each day is only a snapshot but is the reason I haven't lost more in this two week period more due to the increase in calorie or carb intake?

Christian

Quote:

That said, I have lost 2 pounds the last two weeks and would have thought even though I haven't worked out and have had some days of greater than my normal calorie intake, I would have lost more than 2 pounds because I think I burn more than 2000 calories a day normally.  I know each day is only a snapshot but is the reason I haven't lost more in this two week period more due to the increase in calorie or carb intake?

Not claiming to be wiser, but I might have some insight.

1) Working out can increase your metabolic rate.  Conversely, not working out can decrease your metabolic rate.

2) Burning 2000 calories a day is a very general estimate, and may not be as close to your actual number as you think.

3) Your weight can fluctuate more than 2 pounds without any fat loss, just due to water weight or bowel contents.

4) If you burn 2000 and averaged 1846 in consumption, that puts you at a deficit of 154 calories/day.  Over 2 weeks (14 days) that's 2156 calories.  It is generally thought that losing 1 pound of fat requires a deficit of roughly 3,500 calories (I'll ignore that one for now, but it helps illustrate the point).  So really your caloric deficit over this time frame would suggest that you lost less than 1 pound of fat. So it is feasible that increased caloric intake slowed down your weight loss to some extent.

Now into week 4 of Insanity - would thoroughly recommend it. I'm not weighing myself as it's more for muscle tone than anything else, but I've definitely lost more weight in the last three weeks than I have in any number of weeks of irregular gym sessions. Loads of aerobic stuff and a bit more stretching than I'm used to. It ramps up in two weeks time, so that should be the next fun challenge!

I'm into week 2 of Insanity. I've lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks. I can't wait to see what I lose going forward, it is definitely tough.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Friday Workout

Shoulders

Side Laterals (15 lbs) - 3 sets of 10

Front Raises (15 lbs) - 3 sets of 10

Seated Dumbbell Press (35 lbs) - 3 sets of 10

Lat Pulldown (100, 115, 100lbs) - 3 sets of 10

Core

6 Inch Leg Raise - 3 sets of 30 seconds

Crunches - 3 sets of 10

Legs

Machine Individual Quad Extension (100, 110, 120 lbs) - 3 sets of 10 on each leg

Machine Calf Lifts (310, 335, 355 lbs) - 3 sets of 10

Machine Individual Hamstring Curls (100, 110, 120 lbs) - 3 sets of 10 on each leg

Cardio

Elliptical (10 mins) - Jog for two mins (6-7 mph), sprint for one min (10-12 mph)

Stairmaster (5 mins) - 55 steps per minute

Bike (10 mins) - "jog" for two mins (14-16 mph), sprint for one min (18-22 mph)

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Friday Workout Shoulders Side Laterals (15 lbs) - 3 sets of 10 Front Raises (15 lbs) - 3 sets of 10 Seated Dumbbell Press (35 lbs) - 3 sets of 10 Lat Pulldown (100, 115, 100lbs) - 3 sets of 10 Core 6 Inch Leg Raise - 3 sets of 30 seconds Crunches - 3 sets of 10 Legs Machine Individual Quad Extension (100, 110, 120 lbs) - 3 sets of 10 on each leg Machine Calf Lifts (310, 335, 355 lbs) - 3 sets of 10  Machine Individual Hamstring Curls (100, 110, 120 lbs) - 3 sets of 10 on each leg Cardio Elliptical (10 mins) - Jog for two mins (6-7 mph), sprint for one min (10-12 mph) Stairmaster (5 mins) - 55 steps per minute  Bike (10 mins) - "jog" for two mins (14-16 mph), sprint for one min (18-22 mph)

Did you do this all in one day in one session? If so, seems very hardcore to me.

Christian

Not claiming to be wiser, but I might have some insight.

1) Working out can increase your metabolic rate.  Conversely, not working out can decrease your metabolic rate.

2) Burning 2000 calories a day is a very general estimate, and may not be as close to your actual number as you think.

3) Your weight can fluctuate more than 2 pounds without any fat loss, just due to water weight or bowel contents.

4) If you burn 2000 and averaged 1846 in consumption, that puts you at a deficit of 154 calories/day.  Over 2 weeks (14 days) that's 2156 calories.  It is generally thought that losing 1 pound of fat requires a deficit of roughly 3,500 calories (I'll ignore that one for now, but it helps illustrate the point).  So really your caloric deficit over this time frame would suggest that you lost less than 1 pound of fat.  So it is feasible that increased caloric intake slowed down your weight loss to some extent.

+1.

People over estimate how much weight they can lose simply by cutting the amount of caloric intake.  In addition, over the long period, your metabolic rate slows down when you diet.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Did you do this all in one day in one session? If so, seems very hardcore to me.

Yeah that's one day. It's not as bad as it looks, but it is difficult.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter