IGNORED

Do you use a rangefinder?

binga7
Note: This thread is 2131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a rangefinder?

• Yes
    • No

On 5/17/2018 at 11:49 AM, cutchemist42 said:

I use a Garmin GPS. I wish I bought one years ago cause I love it.

Never even thought of it until I owned it but it really helps in avoid lost ball penalties. I often start the measuring function on iffy shots so that I know when Im in the area of my usual distance.

I need to remember to do this... :roll:

12 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I'm not really a gadget guy. I don't even carry my phone on the course. I still look at sprinkler heads, assess where the flag is, factor in the wind and go. Interestingly, when I check with a playing partner that has a range finder, I'm never more than two or three yards off. However, I do understand why people use them.  

Most of the courses I play have started not replacing marking on sprinklers when they are replaced.  My home course has plaques embedded in the fairway for 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, and even 250 if needed on a par 5.  They don't help much when I'm 40 yards off the fairway.   My Garmin Approach G6 doesn't care where my ball lies.

• Like 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/19/2018 at 1:36 PM, Fourputt said:

I need to remember to do this... :roll:

Most of the courses I play have started not replacing marking on sprinklers when they are replaced.  My home course has plaques embedded in the fairway for 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, and even 250 if needed on a par 5.  They don't help much when I'm 40 yards off the fairway.   My Garmin Approach G6 doesn't care where my ball lies.

I guess if they quit marking sprinkler heads and eliminate the 200, 150, and 100 yard markers I'll have to look at getting a range finder. My brother-in-law is a 2 hdcp retired college golf coach and he swears by this Garmin. I'm sure they help, but someone in my group usually has one so I probably won't buy one until I have to do so.  

I have both but rarely use the rangefinder, I rely on my Garman GPS watch. All I really need is distance to the middle of the green, I adjust by eye if the flag is in front, middle or rear. Besides I'm not that accurate enough to adjust for a few yards. I rarely go pin hunting, I shoot for the middle of the green for the most part. Rangefinder is good for telling distance to a fairway bunker off the tee though.

My brothers and I all use "The Grint" to log our scores.  A wide range of handicaps, so it makes betting a lot more fair.

The Grint has a GPS feature on it.  Work good enough for our level of golf.

And like a lot of you, not on every shot.  When we are off the fairway, in the wrong fairway, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 8:28 AM, mrjohnsmitt said:

I have the Bushnell Tour V3 and love it for its weight and durability. Do carry a spare battery with you. They are not your standard AA or 9V but rather the CR2. You can buy a 6 pack on Amazon dirt cheap and keep the spares in a refrigerator.
I am not sure how soon you need it but it may be worthwhile to get their feedback on the newer model they are testing.

This has happened! I dropped my Bushnell and it died. Bright memory. I want to pick up something modern to him in return. But for some reason most sites do not carry useful information. Advise me a good rangefinder to $ 250

After getting a rangefinder I don't think I could go back to anything else.  I spent more time troubleshooting GPS devices and phone apps over the years to ever go back to a GPS.  Now with having a rangefinder I am finding myself pin high much more often.... and ease of use is a big plus in my book.

2 hours ago, shakogolfer78 said:

After getting a rangefinder I don't think I could go back to anything else.  I spent more time troubleshooting GPS devices and phone apps over the years to ever go back to a GPS.  Now with having a rangefinder I am finding myself pin high much more often.... and ease of use is a big plus in my book.

For me ease of use of a gps golf warch beats a rangefinder any day of the week. I got a Garmin Approach S6 and it’s something I have a hard time playing without. 

Just last week I was playing with a friend that had a rangefinder. He only pulled it out like 5 times during the round. I just glimpse at my watch, pull out the right iron and go... the only bad thing is that it will only do 18 holes on a single charge. It might do 2 rounds if you can manage them in probably something like 7-7:30. So while I don’t play multiple rounds per day I just need to make sure it’s fully charged when I go play. 

Oh, and it keeps score, fairways hit, GIR and putts...

Edited by Killa

18Birdies app on android is all that I use. The distance can often be off by a bit but its better than checking and walking off sprinkler heads, overall a good app. If I played more often I would probably invest in a laser rangefinder but it's hard to beat a decent free app.

:whistle:

I have a very old Golfbuddy Voice GPS which is convenient for playing. It still works great after 5 years or so of use. Not too many bells and whistles. Just front/middle/back distances. Battery life easily gets me through a long round of 4.5 hrs. The only downside (as with any GPS) is remembering to fully charge it the night before I play.

I just invested in a Bushnell Pro X2 last week. I have yet to use it on the course, but can't wait till I do. I found a 20% off coupon online for Golf Galaxy which made it a little more reasonable price wise. It seems very well built, so I'm hoping I get several years of use out of it. I plan to still to use my Golfbuddy voice as well for blind shots.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

Rangefinder and GPS.

I use the GPS on courses I don't play often and the rangefinder on my course or when I can see the flag.

Remember that a rangefinder is useless when there is a hill between you and the pin.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I have both, a Bushnell rangefinder and a Garmin S20 watch. The only time I really use the rangefinder is on par 3's for a little more accuracy as to actual distance to the pin. The rangefinders are also very helpful when you go to a course and they have a temporary green.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I don’t use a range finder. My original plan was to buy a Garmin GPS watch but changed my mind after getting an Apple Watch.  The only downside to my particular watch is that it doesn’t have gps. Mine operates off the gps on my phone so I have to have the cart near by or the phone in my pocket. I use the 18Birdies app and have also used The Grint. 

Note: This thread is 2131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!