IGNORED

Annoying Golf Announcers

tjdean

Gary McCord and Peter Jacobson are pretty annoying, their humor seems forced. Feherty is awesome. Gannon is good, I don't particularly care either way for Nobilo. I like Miller, Faldo, Maltbie. Chamblee and Tripp Isenhour are douches.

Originally Posted by dkolo

Maybe because it's the least stuffy group, but I think the ESPN broadcast team for golf is the most enjoyable to listen to by a mile. Scott Van Pelt in particular is wonderful. But since they only do 3 tournaments a year, I'd put Terry Gannon and Frank Nobilo as the most enjoyable broadcast pairing of the teams that regularly broadcast tournaments.

Van Pelt is excellent, I agree.  Chris Berman doesn't belong anywhere near a golf broadcasting booth, though.

• 5 months later...
Terry Gannon doing golf is almost as bad as Erin Andrews doing anything . Andrews is enamored with herself, asks the worst questions that don't add anything. It is obvious she is trying to give a showy performance, not inform viewers. Her whole thing is getting her body/face on camera. Thank goodness for Fast Forward button. But Terry Gannon? Nothing more annoying than a former (minor, in Gannon's case) athlete who doesn't get that we don't care what a basketball player from 40 years ago thinks about the game of golf. Particularly annoying are his efforts to 'one-up' the real experts. I agree that Jim Nance's patronizing of 'Sir Nick' is annoying, and I'll never understand why CBS is "so very proud to bring you" a golf tournament. I love The Masters too but, for pity's sake, you can be 'happy' or 'pleased to' present or 'bring you coverage' of a tournament, but 'so very proud sounds sickly sweet at best and - at worst - disingenuous and insincere. But Nance never forgets that, despite a solid knowledge of golf as a former collegiate player, viewers want to hear expert commentary to the experts. Gannon's habit of trying to offer a better analysis of something is annoying. Add to that to his equally annoying habit of going to his lower vocal register ("good Gosh, I love how deep my voice sounds through this headset.....here, let me show you 100 times during every broadcast day ...isn't it beautiful? Witness ex-athletes like Pat Sumerall had the class and perceptiveness to know who the golf experts are and who they are not. Terry Gannon narcissism is so annoying that I skip Golf Channel broadcasts if he is the lead announcer and stick to weekend network broadcasts. Do yourself a favor, NBC: stick to Brian What's-his-name and sack Gannon. Let Gannon work a sport he knows like Big Sky or WNBA or Title 9 basketball.
  • Upvote 1

Terry Gannon doing golf is almost as bad as Erin Andrews doing anything.

Andrews is enamored with herself, asks the worst questions that don't add anything. It is obvious she is trying to give a showy performance, not inform viewers. Her whole thing is getting her body/face on camera. Thank goodness for Fast Forward button.

But Terry Gannon? Nothing more annoying than a former (minor, in Gannon's case) athlete who doesn't get that we don't care what a basketball player from 40 years ago thinks about the game of golf. Particularly annoying are his efforts to 'one-up' the real experts.

I agree that Jim Nance's patronizing of 'Sir Nick' is annoying, and I'll never understand why CBS is "so very proud to bring you" a golf tournament. I love The Masters too but, for pity's sake, you can be 'happy' or 'pleased to' present or 'bring you coverage' of a tournament, but 'so very proud sounds sickly sweet at best and - at worst - disingenuous and insincere.

But Nance never forgets that, despite a solid knowledge of golf as a former collegiate player, viewers want to hear expert commentary to the experts. Gannon's habit of trying to offer a better analysis of something is annoying. Add to that to his equally annoying habit of going to his lower vocal register ("good Gosh, I love how deep my voice sounds through this headset.....here, let me show you 100 times during every broadcast day...isn't it beautiful?

Witness ex-athletes like Pat Sumerall had the class and perceptiveness to know who the golf experts are and who they are not. Terry Gannon narcissism is so annoying that I skip Golf Channel broadcasts if he is the lead announcer and stick to weekend network broadcasts.

Do yourself a favor, NBC: stick to Brian What's-his-name and sack Gannon. Let Gannon work a sport he knows like Big Sky or WNBA or Title 9 basketball.

I love Terry Gannon.  Narcissistic is nowhere on the radar of words I'd use to describe him.  Heck, I've listened to him for years and never even knew he was an ex-athlete until I watched the 30 for 30 last year on that '83 NC State team.

And always liked Erin Andrews as well.  (She is better on DWTS than she was on football, but she was perfectly fine on football.)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm another that likes Terry. To me, he comes across acting far more natural, i.e. not reading or following a script, like Rich L..ect.

But then again, I like Monty too... :-D

Well, since today is Festivus day :-)

I like announcers that either played at a high level or are regular folks who respect the game and don't say stupid things. Most are ok by me. Gannon is fine.

The ones who bother me are the Chris Berman / Scot Van Pelt ilk who have no clue what the game is about, no respect for the game, act like folks are tuning in to listen to them sound clever, not watch golf. And learn something about the game, ok? Hey guys, a sand wedge lob over a bunker that flies 98% of the way there is not a chip! And we use clubs, not "bats". Makes me want to hit Van Pelt with a bat when he says that (not a golf club, a real baseball bat!) :mad:

Steve

Well, since today is Festivus day

I like announcers that either played at a high level or are regular folks who respect the game and don't say stupid things. Most are ok by me. Gannon is fine.

The ones who bother me are the Chris Berman / Scot Van Pelt ilk who have no clue what the game is about, no respect for the game, act like folks are tuning in to listen to them sound clever, not watch golf. And learn something about the game, ok? Hey guys, a sand wedge lob over a bunker that flies 98% of the way there is not a chip! And we use clubs, not "bats". Makes me want to hit Van Pelt with a bat when he says that (not a golf club, a real baseball bat!)

Van Pelt knows more about golf than most of us. Do you know he started years ago with The Golf Channel before moving to ESPN and becoming part of their cult of personality?

Johnny Miller is absolutely the worst in my opinion. He seems bitter that his horrible case of the Yips cut his career short. It's almost as annoying as Roger Maltby riding his Johnson throughout the entire telecast, "right Johnny" "whatcha think about that Johnny" "well Johnny, he's havibg flashbacks about his miss on 11 Johnny" Meh... Other than them, the others are pretty good to me.

Johnny Miller is absolutely the worst in my opinion. He seems bitter that his horrible case of the Yips cut his career short. It's almost as annoying as Roger Maltby riding his Johnson throughout the entire telecast, "right Johnny" "whatcha think about that Johnny" "well Johnny, he's havibg flashbacks about his miss on 11 Johnny"

Meh...

Other than them, the others are pretty good to me.

I dunno, Tom Abbott, he usually calls the LPGA sometimes. If I'm watching, the sound is Muted.

• 3 weeks later...
My husband and I crack up watching Terry Gannon stare at himself non-stop in the monitor. Pay attention and you will see what I am talking about. Nobody else on the set does it except him, and he HAS to do it every few seconds. ALWAYS looking at himself in the monitor. So annoying.

My husband and I crack up watching Terry Gannon stare at himself non-stop in the monitor. Pay attention and you will see what I am talking about. Nobody else on the set does it except him, and he HAS to do it every few seconds. ALWAYS looking at himself in the monitor. So annoying.

Welcome to this site! I'm sure you'll find many other like minded golfers!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It would be great IF the golf networks would realize that the "golfers" are the entertainment. Frank Chirkinian, Ebersol(NBC), Schenkel, Mckay, Longhurst, Wright, and Summeral i.e. knew this, and that is why I would agree that the Euro talking heads are better. The never ending talking before, during and long after a players' shot really wears a viewer out. With today's technology, did you know it's possible to actually hear the players/caddies talk? LOL  Who needs to know "How the putt breaks"? Lets' all watch and see if the player guessed right. Just because Gary Kochs been looking at the same hole for 6 hours doesn't make him all knowing. Duh! My Top 10 list of announcers that should be covering Extreme Cup Stacking are as follows:

1.) Jim Nantz - I still recall his arrogant, selfish promotional On-Air diatribe regarding his book, during Anthony Kim's victory walk down the fairway at Quail Hollow. His "Crypt Keeper" delivery and his inability to string words to---- get----- her.

2.) Dan Hicks - Quite possibly the worst announcer EVER! His delivery is horrible and constant repetition of Miller's comments is brutal. He was good at Luge/Bobsled.

3.) Mark Rolfing - Mr. Self Anointed Analyst who should shut his yap when commenting on a players' shot/aptitude. Glorified Hawaiian Tour Guide...LOL

4.) Terry Gannon - The endless chatter about nothing...followed by the stupid questions he asks of other announcers. Metro Basketball is calling YOU!!

5.) Mumbles Maltbie -  Apparently positions himself to close to the green because he can't talk normal. Which BTW,  he Talks right up and beyond the point where the players takes it back. Shut up Rog !!!

6.) Jerry Foltz - Awful, and only because he is relatively new to the rest of this crew, do I list him at #5. Quote; " The shot seems like it should go right but if he aims just left and tries to hold it off just a little bit, the slope should take it straight". OMG!

7.) Gary Koch - 'No question" this guy needs another gig. Awful diction and voice inflection. Calm down Gary, it was just a chip...Oh, Man!

8.) Nick Faldo - Go and hit balls and play on the Senior Tour and or quit taking spots away from legitimate golfers trying to make a living. Sergio said it best.

9.) Gary McCord - The Magic Man fails time after time to extricate a "rabbit from the hat". Gary would be ideal for the early bird show at Sunrise Retirement Village for the Blind. It's never been a surprise that the Masters pulled his chain a long time ago.

10.) Mike Ritz - Mike, you would be puuurrrfect for the PBA

** Honorable Mention- Frank Nobilo - A much better player by far, ole' Nobs! Sometimes the experiment doesn't work

-  Peter Jacobsen - No comment required

"Now let's go over to 11 and pick up the action with our on course, resident player adviser _____________."

Sorry, I had to amend my list and make mention of Steve Sands. How that one slipped by is unknown. Seems as though he is falling in line as yet another color man with no golfing knowledge, who constantly "fishes" for answers to rhetorical questions.

Ok, I'm done.

Sorry, I had to amend my list and make mention of Steve Sands. How that one slipped by is unknown. Seems as though he is falling in line as yet another color man with no golfing knowledge, who constantly "fishes" for answers to rhetorical questions.

Ok, I'm done.

You sound bitter. Have a drink. Maybe you'll feel better.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

It's basketball season and every once in a while, Dick Vitale pops up.

Suddenly I'm not so annoyed by the golf announcers as I used to be..........

(I prefer the Euro announcers normally just a little bit, but it's amazing sometimes the incredibly insensitive stuff that slips out - it's funny.  they seem much more comfy with their stereotypes and ' -isms than the US announcers.  Or at least it's more normal there so they get away with it.

I'd love to see the shot tracker graphics a LOT more, also

and quiet the announcers and microphone in to what players and caddies are saying)

Bill - 

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2015-02/undercover-tour-pro-on-tv-announcers

Quote:
When they bash players, we don't laugh it off as part of the entertainment value. The other week I was on the range, and Miller is working his way down, saying hi to guys and gathering material for the broadcast. My buddy next to me says, "Guess I'll finish this bag of balls fast. I'm not shaking that ----'s hand."

Another gripe you'll hear from players is how the coverage tends to focus on a few certain stars, no matter how they're playing. If I'm in contention and they're showing every shot of Tiger's 76 instead, it rubs me the wrong way, but I get it. No spectators bought tickets because they heard I was coming to town.

I do think the television media could do a better job showcasing the personalities of more guys. We're not just a bunch of robots, which is how a lot of the mid-level players are perceived. The other day I was paired with Bill Lunde, who might be the funniest man on tour. I'm not saying turn it into a circus and do mid-round interviews like on the Champions Tour, but maybe make an effort to film fun segments with guys earlier in the week. Then air those as the tournament progresses.

Having said that, TV does a great job. Golf's the hardest sport to cover because the stadium is massive and every player is starting and finishing at a different time. Brandel Chamblee is paid to be opinionated, and he's going to be right some of the time and wrong some of the time. David Feherty's hilarious. Frank Nobilo does good work. Gary McCord's character on TV is exactly how he is in person. And I know how hard the job is firsthand. Last season I freelanced some for Golf Channel. I was playing so bad, I seriously thought I was going to have to change careers. So after my round I'd strap on a headset to build my portfolio of commentating clips.

Interesting take from a Tour player's perspective.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It would be great IF the golf networks would realize that the "golfers" are the entertainment. Frank Chirkinian, Ebersol(NBC), Schenkel, Mckay, Longhurst, Wright, and Summeral i.e. knew this, and that is why I would agree that the Euro talking heads are better. The never ending talking before, during and long after a players' shot really wears a viewer out. With today's technology, did you know it's possible to actually hear the players/caddies talk? LOL  Who needs to know "How the putt breaks"? Lets' all watch and see if the player guessed right. Just because Gary Kochs been looking at the same hole for 6 hours doesn't make him all knowing. Duh! My Top 10 list of announcers that should be covering Extreme Cup Stacking are as follows:

1.) Jim Nantz - I still recall his arrogant, selfish promotional On-Air diatribe regarding his book, during Anthony Kim's victory walk down the fairway at Quail Hollow. His "Crypt Keeper" delivery and his inability to string words to----get-----her.

2.) Dan Hicks - Quite possibly the worst announcer EVER! His delivery is horrible and constant repetition of Miller's comments is brutal. He was good at Luge/Bobsled.

3.) Mark Rolfing - Mr. Self Anointed Analyst who should shut his yap when commenting on a players' shot/aptitude. Glorified Hawaiian Tour Guide...LOL

4.) Terry Gannon - The endless chatter about nothing...followed by the stupid questions he asks of other announcers. Metro Basketball is calling YOU!!

5.) Mumbles Maltbie -  Apparently positions himself to close to the green because he can't talk normal. Which BTW,  he Talks right up and beyond the point where the players takes it back. Shut up Rog!!!

6.) Jerry Foltz - Awful, and only because he is relatively new to the rest of this crew, do I list him at #5. Quote; " The shot seems like it should go right but if he aims just left and tries to hold it off just a little bit, the slope should take it straight". OMG!

7.) Gary Koch - 'No question" this guy needs another gig. Awful diction and voice inflection. Calm down Gary, it was just a chip...Oh, Man!

8.) Nick Faldo - Go and hit balls and play on the Senior Tour and or quit taking spots away from legitimate golfers trying to make a living. Sergio said it best.

9.) Gary McCord - The Magic Man fails time after time to extricate a "rabbit from the hat". Gary would be ideal for the early bird show at Sunrise Retirement Village for the Blind. It's never been a surprise that the Masters pulled his chain a long time ago.

10.) Mike Ritz - Mike, you would be puuurrrfect for the PBA

** Honorable Mention- Frank Nobilo - A much better player by far, ole' Nobs! Sometimes the experiment doesn't work

-  Peter Jacobsen - No comment required

"Now let's go over to 11 and pick up the action with our on course, resident player adviser _____________."

Ok, I'm done.

I feel like you could have saved yourself a lot of time by just telling us who you DO like.

By process of elimination, I'm gonna guess ... Johnny Miller and Judy Rankin are your favorites? :-P (Oh, and his name escapes me right now, but the guy with the Konica Minolta Swinghub Business Vision Golfering Analyzer Doohickie Camera)

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2015-02/undercover-tour-pro-on-tv-announcers

Interesting take from a Tour player's perspective.

no PGA Tour player of the last 20 years should say a damn thing about the camera time Tiger gets.  if they collected a paycheck for playing golf on TV then they should thank Tiger for how much it is and tell him they think he should be on TV even more than he is now.

I feel like you could have saved yourself a lot of time by just telling us who you DO like.

By process of elimination, I'm gonna guess ... Johnny Miller and Judy Rankin are your favorites?  (Oh, and his name escapes me right now, but the guy with the Konica Minolta Swinghub Business Vision Golfering Analyzer Doohickie Camera)

that would be Peter Kostis.  his last name is pronounced "Clueless".

Colin P.