IGNORED

Teeing Up Irons (Par 3 or Otherwise)

Note: This thread is 3777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, I also use a tee when using an iron off the tee box.  If it's a short iron, I usually push it down so far such that the ball is just barely sitting above the grass - just enough so you know it's a perfect lie.  If it's a longer iron, say a 4 or 5 iron, then I'm giving it a little height above the ground ... perhaps 1/4" or so?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always use a tee on every tee box.  Why not use the advantage of having a perfect lie?  I wish I could use a tee out in the middle of the fairway too.  The tee heights for different irons can be whatever you want them to be, as long as the tee itself is no longer than 4 inches.

Originally Posted by cnl390

I have noticed that a lot of players, pros and amateurs alike,  Will use a tee when hitting an iron off the tee box.  I have always hit off the ground.  Is there an advantage to using a tee, and if so are there different tee heights for the different irons?

Thanks

Charles

This is a pretty good video. Towards the end, it addresses irons.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

I always use a tee on every tee box.  Why not use the advantage of having a perfect lie?  I wish I could use a tee out in the middle of the fairway too.  The tee heights for different irons can be whatever you want them to be, as long as the tee itself is no longer than 4 inches.

When we started golf, my kids and I teed up every shot )

Other than the putt, that is. We didn't see any holes in the greens

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

When we started golf, my kids and I teed up every shot  )

Other than the putt, that is. We didn't see any holes in the greens

I have my 6 year old daughter tee up every shot because she is just learning and needs all the help she can get.  Plus she says a pink ball always has to be on a pink tee, that's the rules.  How can you argue that.  I think it's in the USGA rulebook.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

I have my 6 year old daughter tee up every shot because she is just learning and needs all the help she can get.  Plus she says a pink ball always has to be on a pink tee, that's the rules.  How can you argue that.  I think it's in the USGA rulebook.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I use a tee on every tee box.  Driver is teed up so equator of the ball is about even with the crown of the driver if driver is sitting on ground.  For 3 wood or a hybrid, probably little less than 1/2 inch out of the ground.  For irons, the broken tee I am using is just barely above the ground for all irons, including wedges.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Yes, there's an advantage, and you should take it. This game is hard enough, take every little advantage that the rules allow.

If there were a rule allowing perfectly placed drives to be re-teed in the fairways, I'd tee it up there too!  I always tee up iron shots from the tee box.  Some may not look like they are teed up because they are so low, but it's there.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

One note on this: If you have low-profile fairway woods and sometimes pop up shots hit off a wooden tee, you might go with tufting: Fluff up the grass with your clubhead, and then place the ball atop the tuft. This will prevent you from popping up teed FWs.

If you don't have trouble with pop-ups, ignore this suggestion.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

usually find a broken tee laying around and have been known to carry a few with me.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

5 iron and down (as in through PW) I don't, but if I am hitting a 4 iron or heaven forbid trying my 3 iron I will use a tee.  I usually place the ball very lightly on a tuft of grass.  To me I play better off these tufts than I would a tee.

Originally Posted by Hacker James

usually find a broken tee laying around and have been known to carry a few with me.

We have those small cups next to one of the tee markers for ex-tees. The cups are called "senior pro-shops".

I think Jack Nicklaus said something about always teeing up at the tee box.

Good enough for him, good enough for me.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I always use a T when using an iron unless I am using my PW down. I get way to much spin when I use a wedge off a T.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I think Jack Nicklaus said something about always teeing up at the tee box.

Good enough for him, good enough for me.

Yes he did and same for me.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Yes,

some famous golfer wrote down in his book to take a perfect lie all the time when your allowed to.

Quote from Tigers How i play golf

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I always tee it when Im allowed to.  It just makes it so much easier to get the ball up in the air than hitting it on the grown.  Every time I see someone just walk up to the tee and plop their ball on the ground its all I can do to not say, "Watch out!  We got ourselves a tour pro here!"

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 3777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!