IGNORED

Tiger "tantrum" Woods

Sandwedge74
Note: This thread is 4351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now if Tiger hired Greg Williams to put a bounty on other golfers, THAT would be a story!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ken Green makes Tiger look like an altar boy!   Fortunately, know one knows who Ken Green is/was! :)

Tiger does get an exponential amount of exposure when compared to his peers and that means EVERYTHING he does is going to be on camera.   I'm not making excuses for his and you'd think a guy with his "discipline" would be able to control himself.   I do admit it gets a little tedious listening to him yell "damn it Tiger" every time he doesn't stick it next to the flag.

The guy has been getting "stuck" for over a decade now so maybe he should be frustrated.   He hit some dog ass ugly shots on Saturday.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Perhaps we have more of a "football" culture here while in Europe they have more of a "football" culture. See what I did there? :-P

I see it, but I'm not sure I get it. Sports riots in Europe and elsewhere are worse than anything I can think of with American football.

Now if Tiger hired Greg Williams to put a bounty on other golfers, THAT would be a story!

There was an article somewhere this week about how much bigger golf betting has become, and how much money the gambling houses stand to lose if Tiger wins (because so many people bet on him). I realize they attempt to set the betting odds to account for this, but according to some of the people they interviewed, they would still take a bath. Makes you wonder whether they might at least hire a guy to sneeze during his backswing or something.

How come these threads always are made when Tiger does something, not when someone else slams a club into the ground or swears a little on the course?

Because a lot of people think it's very rare for anyone but Tiger to do it. They apparently don't realize that we see almost all of Tiger's shots, good and bad, because TV tries to show as much of him as it can. 99% of pro golfers are generally on TV only when they are having a career week, and are elated over the way they are playing.

It's the "just win baby" attitude. I understand it, but I don't agree with it.

I think it's more of a "just give me something interesting to watch on TV attitude." There's a reason TV shows that feature a main character who is an jerk often get huge ratings.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Zeph

How come these threads always are made when Tiger does something, not when someone else slams a club into the ground or swears a little on the course? This has been going on as long as golf has existed. When other people do it, it's "Ah, that's a shame, ok, move on". When Tiger do it, they want him banned from Augusta...

You say Tiger apologist, I say Tiger hater.

I don't care and I don't care if others care, but don't make it sound like Tiger is the only one out there. Make a thread on general behaviour by PGA players instead.

How would you feel if Robert Rock and Charlie Wi were behaving like Tiger was the past couple days? If you'd have no problem with it, then I'd be surprised, but pass on kudos for being true to yourself. If you'd be disappointed that for many people that's now considered appropriate behaviour even at the most hallowed of venues, then I'd be less surprised.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Zeph just posted this in another thread: http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/04/08/garcia-im-not-good-enough-to-win/ Seriously, would you rather see Tiger slam his club into the ground, or say what Sergio said?

• Administrator

Originally Posted by brocks

Zeph just posted this in another thread:

http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/04/08/garcia-im-not-good-enough-to-win/

Seriously, would you rather see Tiger slam his club into the ground, or say what Sergio said?

Why is it an either/or question? Surely some people would prefer to see neither.

The computer programmer in me was really tempted to say "yes" and nothing else.

Which reminds me of this: A wife asks her husband, a software engineer, "Could you please go shopping for me and buy one gallon of milk, and if they have eggs, get a dozen?" A short time later the husband comes back with a dozen gallons of milk. The wife asks him, "Why did you buy so much milk?" He replied, "They had eggs."

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I really don't care about the "goddammit Tiger" stuff or even the odd f bomb (one of the guys on this site has an avatar with Wood's picture and the caption "F bomb loading" Hilarious!!) When you watch other sports, there are lots of times when the athletes go absolutely nuts. Hockey, football, football, baseball, tennis.....etc. Kicking the club, though is like club throwing a club - totally uncool. He should just apologize for that, if he hasn't already, and let's move on. At this point he's a non-factor in this year's Masters, let's get the cameras rolling keep them on Phil's flop shots.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

How would you feel if Robert Rock and Charlie Wi were behaving like Tiger was the past couple days? If you'd have no problem with it, then I'd be surprised, but pass on kudos for being true to yourself. If you'd be disappointed that for many people that's now considered appropriate behaviour even at the most hallowed of venues, then I'd be less surprised

I would care as much as I care about Tiger, Garcia or anyone else doing it. I like Rock and Wi for their swings, that's pretty much it. Don't know a whole lot about them to be honest. They could be acting the same way for all I know, seeing as I haven't seen them play much. I like Tiger for his dedication, talent and record, I like Wi for his swing. I don't look up to any of these people. I don't up look to people I don't personally know. I don't care what they do outside the field, course, venue or whatever. As long as Tiger plays well (well, in time I believe he will) and Wi's swing stays a good model for how I want to swing, I'll pay attention to them, but little more than that. I don't care what venue they are playing at, I just want to see good golf and hopefully a bit of emotions. Be it Augusta or some random PGA location. I never said I want people to act out like that all the time, but I don't care if and when they do occasionally. I'm a pretty composed player myself on the course, though I must admit it is nice to let go once in a while and act out a little. Most of the time, Tiger sighs, says "Goddamnit Tiger" and drops his club at the finish. The two or three times he's acted out a bit more, the events get blown way out of proportions. I want to be entertained. Emotions are a form of entertainment. I know golf is supposed to be a gentleman's game and all that, but I for one enjoy the display of emotions by the best players in the world. If kids act out because of Tiger, that's something their parents or instructors have to deal with, not me. The supposedly divot he made at 13 was nothing more than a bump, and who did he hurt by dropping and kicking his club? If anything, I'd rather see him throw and kick his clubs than let his anger out on the golf course.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Plox

Haha, Iacas really doesn't get it. "Not great etiquette" - is that the best you can come up with? Total Tiger Woods apologist. And yes, it is COMPLETELY different to someone behaving like that at their local 9 hole golf course; like it nor not, he SHOULD be a role model, as millions (probably billions) of people recognise who he is and will see that bad behaviour. But hey, what's the big deal, let him behave like a complete brat and pat him on the back for doing so...

Great signal you're sending out there, and I pity the people you 'instruct'.

Should? Was he elected by the people? Maybe he can be used on how not to act for kids, a different sort of model. He only has to play by the rules. If the behavior hurts him then it will be something he has to live with. Until you are automatically out for throwing the bat, he is free to do as he pleases within rules. No one is patting him on the back that I have seen.. I think he behaves like an ass at times but everyone has their moment, there just aren't cameras on you 24/7.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by GolfBear

Ken Green makes Tiger look like an altar boy!   Fortunately, know one knows who Ken Green is/was! :)

Not as obscure as you think. Pretty good player back in the 1980s. I saw him play a few times & he definitely had a temper, and his signature move was to fling his putter at his caddy after holing out. But it wasn't an 'anger' move - it was a choreographed thing where he would whip it underhand to his caddy & the caddy would catch it in mid-air. Was kinda cool.

But if you want an obscure reference to a guy with a horrible temper, Google Ivan Gantz. Dude used to abuse himself - bang his head against trees, smack himself with his clubs, etc.

Originally Posted by brocks

Zeph just posted this in another thread:

http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/04/08/garcia-im-not-good-enough-to-win/

Seriously, would you rather see Tiger slam his club into the ground, or say what Sergio said?

Tiger gets pissed. let's it out and it's over.  Tiger's not perfect but he moves on.  He never plays the "whoa is me game" like Sergio.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfBear View Post

Not as obscure as you think. Pretty good player back in the 1980s. I saw him play a few times & he definitely had a temper, and his signature move was to fling his putter at his caddy after holing out. But it wasn't an 'anger' move - it was a choreographed thing where he would whip it underhand to his caddy & the caddy would catch it in mid-air. Was kinda cool.

But if you want an obscure reference to a guy with a horrible temper, Google Ivan Gantz. Dude used to abuse himself - bang his head against trees, smack himself with his clubs, etc.

Just googled this character. Apparently punched himself in the face until he bled after hitting a bad shot!! Wow, crazy stuff....

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

As someone eluded to earlier Tiger is a role model. He is the face of the game and he knows millions of youth idolize him. For this alone the guy needs to take extra care when displaying his emotions. Nothing wrong with outward emotions but throwing/kicking clubs and dropping f-bombs when he knows the cameras are rolling is something the guy simply should not do. I personally don't care for what he stands for as a person but that guys competitiveness and work ethic has got him were he is in golf history...by now though at his age, he should know better than to completely go ape-sh!t on the golf course....I never saw Jack, Arnie, Crenshaw, Freddie, Phil, etc act like he does.

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

Just googled this character. Apparently punched himself in the face until he bled after hitting a bad shot!! Wow, crazy stuff....

I love the story about jamming his hand into a thorn bush & yelling "That will teach you not to get involved in the shot too soon!"

Then there's the old Tommy Bolt story where he was caught swearing during the first round of a tournament & an official told him it would a $50 fine. This was around the advent of televised broadcasts on the weekends & the pros were put on notice that they had to clean up their language.

So when Tommy got gigged, he was quoted as saying "You mean I can't even say goddammit on Thursdays?"

Originally Posted by Zeph

Since when is that not allowed? Not sure if that one was ironic.[if IE]>

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Note: This thread is 4351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!