IGNORED

What are the percentages?

Maverick
Note: This thread is 3065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I realize I open the possibility of complete disbelief by posting this but I had the same question a few months ago. I wanted to know if my success was anything to brag about...it seems that it may be. I started seriously playing golf in May of 2011 (I had played a dozen or so rounds prior)........and determined to accomplish a goal of shooting Par in 2 years. It took 27 months but a few weeks ago, I shot 1 under (and yes, from the tips). My current handicap is 1.7. For those who really care to know, I practiced daily (300-500 balls a day) and played at least 3 rounds a week to get to this level. Also, I started at age 50....I'm now 52. The game is really NOT that hard after hitting thousands of balls.........the "skill" really is found....."in the dirt:.

I realize I open the possibility of complete disbelief by posting this but I had the same question a few months ago. I wanted to know if my success was anything to brag about...it seems that it may be. I started seriously playing golf in May of 2011 (I had played a dozen or so rounds prior)........and determined to accomplish a goal of shooting Par in 2 years. It took 27 months but a few weeks ago, I shot 1 under (and yes, from the tips). My current handicap is 1.7. For those who really care to know, I practiced daily (300-500 balls a day) and played at least 3 rounds a week to get to this level. Also, I started at age 50....I'm now 52. The game is really NOT that hard after hitting thousands of balls.........the "skill" really is found....."in the dirt:.

You clearly came here to brag, this being your very 1st post without past contribution.   I've seen these bragging post for the umpteenth times and it's growing old.   The only disbelief I have is your audacity to tell perfect strangers how great you are.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To: Rkim291968

I apologize that you felt I came here to brag. Though I did use the word, it was more tongue-in-cheek than bragging to this forum. I don't know any of you so what is the point in bragging (there's no fun in that). Most of the players that I have played with, when they win a round, leave the course with bragging rights....in addition, they have always congratulated me on having a good round. The real point of my post, which I didn't make clear, was to say that breaking Par IS hard and most people are not willing to put in the work it takes to get there. That is not a criticism, just a fact. I feel people should enjoy the game at whatever level they choose to play.....but don't get angry and frustrated when you don't put in the time to deserve it. I'm nothing special and I do not thing that I am great.....However, I do take a little pride in the accomplishment, because of the tremendous amount of work I put in to get there.I have put in over 30 hours each week for over two years and hit more than 100,000 balls.

Again, I'm sorry that my audacious comment to strangers provoked such a jealous response.

Good luck with your game.

I apologize that you felt I came here to brag. Though I did use the word, it was more tongue-in-cheek than bragging to this forum. I don't know any of you so what is the point in bragging (there's no fun in that). Most of the players that I have played with, when they win a round, leave the course with bragging rights....in addition, they have always congratulated me on having a good round. The real point of my post, which I didn't make clear, was to say that breaking Par IS hard and most people are not willing to put in the work it takes to get there. That is not a criticism, just a fact. I feel people should enjoy the game at whatever level they choose to play.....but don't get angry and frustrated when you don't put in the time to deserve it. I'm nothing special and I do not thing that I am great.....However, I do take a little pride in the accomplishment, because of the tremendous amount of work I put in to get there.I have put in over 30 hours each week for over two years and hit more than 100,000 balls.

Again, I'm sorry that my audacious comment to strangers provoked such a jealous response.

It's not jealousy.   It's annoyance.   But for what it is worth, you are not the first or only one who post to brag about your golfing game in this forum.   For those who need the attention, I have started this thread - http://thesandtrap.com/t/70348/i-want-to-brag-about-my-golf-achievement-thread.    This is after I've seen "Sorry, I have to brag on myself," and "Sorry, but I have to brag" threads in the last 5 days or so.   People are not sorry that they are bragging.   They want to brag and they want the world to know and I understand.   So, why not create a thread for those who feel the need so that we don't have to see a new bragging thread per week?   If you have checked my threads, you know I am doing this in tongue in cheek, right? :-P

Knock yourself out, you will, my young apprentice.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I don't know if my reaction to this should be jealousy, or that there is hope at the end of the tunnel.

Even though I have made my umpteenth breakthrough this weekend, I still feel 1.7 HC is a long way for me to go (if even possible).

I have been playing for a little over three years (my first 2 years were just playing around, and "visiting" nice golf courses), but started hitting 200-300 balls per day for the last year. I am shooting in the low to mid 90s even with my terrible ball striking.

If I do make the same goal as you in another year of serious playing and practice, we should write a book together. I am sure we would be able to cash in on it.

By the way, do you do full swings on all 300 balls per day?

Wish me luck.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 1 year later...

Okay, I'm a "member" here... but can't remember my original info, so whatever. I caddie for a pro... so I get to see a lot of really good golfers. A "kid" shooting 83 is not a good golfer. Just because so many suck at the game doesn't make the mediocre "good".

I did not play particularly well today, but a few putts fell. I shot a -1 71. I am not a great golfer as I am trying to recover from 6 herniated discs in my back - without surgery. In fact, I suck compared to great golfers... I saw them two days ago in the US Open Qualifier - yes, I was on the bag. But compared to someone who thinks it's amazing to shoot 83? Yes, I'm a great golfer. Perspective means everything.

Welcome, Rich1961!!!

You are, of course, correct that all things are relative.

But compared to 90% + (or even dare I say 99% +) of the people playing golf, you are really good!  Some might even say great golfer.

Unfortunately, like many things in life, we are always chasing that elusive dream of perfection.  That's why no one feels like they are a good/great golfer.

I feel like a hack when I am on the course.  But to most people that I play with, I am very good.  I sure don't feel that way as I know my mistakes when I make them.  I feel I only have one or two perfect shots per round (if that).  I guess that's why we like this game.  We are always chasing that impossible dream of perfection.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Okay, I'm a "member" here... but can't remember my original info, so whatever. I caddie for a pro... so I get to see a lot of really good golfers. A "kid" shooting 83 is not a good golfer. Just because so many suck at the game doesn't make the mediocre "good".

I did not play particularly well today, but a few putts fell. I shot a -1 71. I am not a great golfer as I am trying to recover from 6 herniated discs in my back - without surgery. In fact, I suck compared to great golfers... I saw them two days ago in the US Open Qualifier - yes, I was on the bag. But compared to someone who thinks it's amazing to shoot 83? Yes, I'm a great golfer. Perspective means everything.

I'd argue that you ARE a great golfer. But that the difference between GREAT and ELITE is still very large. As Yukari said, you're better than 99%+ of active golfers. That makes someone great IMO.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I would say an 11 handicap is "Ok" at golf. I would not classify it as mediocre.

If you classify 50% as average, middle ground. USGA has 50% of the golfers at 13 handicap. It's probably higher because I doubt a lot of recreational bad golfers have a USGA Handicap. I would say an 11 handicap as an above average player.

I would say you are a very good golfer. Those with a USGA handicap a 1 handicap is in the top 3% of golfers. Top 3% is very very good.

Pro players are just out of this world good. Like fractions of a percent good.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Shaming people who can't break 80 or 90 or 100 is about as stupid as chiding the average pickup basketball player for not being able to dunk from the free throw line. Use of the word "suck" qualifies.

Recreational players have to keep some perspective when they play. It's not really fair to say they aren't "willing". Most of us have to work to put food on the table first. If I could play six out of seven days, I probably would. At best I might have two evenings and two afternoons a week to spend on golf. I'm not scratch and won't be for quite some time if ever.

If you classify 50% as average, middle ground. USGA has 50% of the golfers at 13 handicap. It's probably higher because I doubt a lot of recreational bad golfers have a USGA Handicap. I would say an 11 handicap as an above average player.

I also agree that an 11 handicap is a reasonably good player.  I'm absolutely certain that people with USGA handicaps (or equivalent for those in other countries) are in the minority of all golfers.  Even in a forum like this, where most of us are avid golfers, there seem to be a significant percentage who don't keep an official handicap.

In a way, I believe golf is largely the same for every one of us.  We each have good days and bad days, hit good shots and bad shots.  On our best day, we still hit a couple of bad ones, and on a bad day, there are always a couple to be proud of.  Our definitions of good and bad change as our skill levels change, but its still frustrating and fulfilling, often on the same day.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I have had the good fortune to play with several people like that in all my years of playing golf.  I know it is hard to believe but if you are a single digit player...say a 7,8,9 and you play with a guy who is a +2 or so handicap...you realize just how much better they are than you.  Your misses are wild compared to most of their misses.  In my younger years, I have had several rounds under par but it was mostly luck like 3 chip ins in same round, getting lucky breaks when ball should have been deep in woods and ends up back in fairway off a tree.  But never once did I strike the ball as purely as I saw these guys hit it.  A couple of them, the sound of the ball coming off their clubs was amazing.  Such a pure pure sound.

Great Post.

I would say an 11 handicap is "Ok" at golf. I would not classify it as mediocre.

I would say you are a very good golfer. Those with a USGA handicap a 1 handicap is in the top 3% of golfers. Top 3% is very very good.

Pro players are just out of this world good. Like fractions of a percent good.

And my friends who are around my skill-level would say they're pretty decent golfers. :-$

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 6 months later...
On 22 May 2012 at 10:24:04 PM, carpediem4300 said:

w00t

last round i played I only hit 5 greens in reg,...still shot 88,...scrambled well though

the stats are amazing though,

I played a round a while ago. I hit 2 GIR and shot 3 over for 18 holes. Obviously my short game was amazing and I did consider myself quite lucky ( i made pretty much everything inside 10 feet) but it still proves you dont need to hit lots of GIR to shoot low scores. It just helps if you hit quite a few in regulation 

I like these stats!  Damn, they make me a great golfer!!!

Later,

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

Note: This thread is 3065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!