IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Another good couple of groups--

1:25 p.m. / 8:10 a.m. - Martin Kaymer, Germany; Hunter Mahan, Colleyville, Texas; Justin Rose, England

1:36 p.m. / 8:21 a.m. - Steve Stricker, Madison, Wis.; Ian Poulter, England; Matt Kuchar, St. Simons Island, Ga.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by k-troop

Did y'all notice that Casey Martin in back in this year's Open?  I can't believe that guy is still playing golf, but pretty amazing.  I hope they show some coverage of him.

I think coverage is virtually guaranteed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Now that I know this, I'm trying to find more.

The "Lets mess with Sabbatini grouping" - Rory Sabbatini, Ben Crane, Kevin Na

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

In case nobody noticed it, world #3 Lee Westwood is having a great week, currently leading the Nordea Masters by 3. Tiger and Luke have recent wins, and Rory played solidly yesterday. Tiger and Rory fizzled in the Masters, but maybe the US Open will be the major where the top four in the world battle it out. If Westwood gets a top five this week, then any of the top three could move to #1 by winning the US Open. A win by Tiger would move him to #3 at best, but three quality wins in the first half of the year would indicate that it's a just a matter of months before he begins another long stretch as the best player in the world.

Originally Posted by Motley01

I watched the morning drive today on TGC. And Bubba called in on the phone. They talked about how he felt for the US Open. He didn't even sound confident, acknowledged that he hasn't played much since the Masters.

Then they talked about an incident last week during the memorial. Him and his wife were coming home late 11pm from some charity concert or something. And some car was following him. So they drove around for like 45 min, and then the strange car finally gave up and left. Strange he didn't even call the police to report it. But if he had the General Lee, he could have smoked em lost them quick.

In any case, I don't think Bubba even makes the cut, he's just sounds like he's just not into it right now. His focus is still his family right now.

You should read the article on that story as it's pretty ridiculous.  I don't even really understand it.  The story alleges they were "being followed" but that Bubba had time to pull over and switch seats with his wife so that he could drive "in case" things got crazy.  Then he called his caddie at some point to come and "cut the guy off."  The article made it sound like a long, high-speed chase, and the details make it sound like a paranoid embellishment.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/7999404/masters-champ-bubba-watson-late-night-car-chase

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Nice.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

You should read the article on that story as it's pretty ridiculous.  I don't even really understand it.  The story alleges they were "being followed" but that Bubba had time to pull over and switch seats with his wife so that he could drive "in case" things got crazy.  Then he called his caddie at some point to come and "cut the guy off."  The article made it sound like a long, high-speed chase, and the details make it sound like a paranoid embellishment.

You're right; it makes no sense. If he could call his caddie, he could call the cops. If he could drive around aimlessly trying to lose them, he could drive to a police station. I think I read somewhere that Bubba's adoption of Caleb is not yet permanent. He'd better hope whoever decides such things doesn't see that article.

Originally Posted by brocks

You're right; it makes no sense. If he could call his caddie, he could call the cops. If he could drive around aimlessly trying to lose them, he could drive to a police station.

I think I read somewhere that Bubba's adoption of Caleb is not yet permanent. He'd better hope whoever decides such things doesn't see that article.

I got a kick out of reading some of the comments to the article :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

I got a kick out of reading some of the comments to the article :)

My favorite comment:

Quote:
As soon as that kid gets fifty words under his belt he'll be the brains of the outfit.

lol

LMAO that would be fun to watch

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by brocks

In case nobody noticed it, world #3 Lee Westwood is having a great week, currently leading the Nordea Masters by 3. Tiger and Luke have recent wins, and Rory played solidly yesterday.

Westwood had 20 putts yesterday, this seems stupidly low, even for a pro.

Regarding the Phil / Tiger pairing on Thursday, someone at CBS [url=http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/eye-on-golf/19302043/lefty-tiger-grouping-latest-showdown-between-games-most-successful-active-major-champs]compiled a list[/url] of their scores when playing together. It's a tie if compared round by round, but I think the total strokes edge goes to Woods (wasn't willing to manually check).

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by B-Con

Regarding the Phil / Tiger pairing on Thursday, someone at CBS compiled a list of their scores when playing together. It's a tie if compared round by round, but I think the total strokes edge goes to Woods (wasn't willing to manually check).

I'm an accountant/controller by trade, so I'm handy with a 10-key.  I'll give it a try.

I ran each side both times and got the same results each time, so I'm sure it's accurate even though that data was difficult to read because of the spacing:

Mickelson 2099

Woods 2086

Although, IMO this data doesn't mean much unless it's during a Sunday (or at least a weekend) round.

Brandon

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Westwood had 20 putts yesterday, this seems stupidly low, even for a pro.

Yes, but lots of scrambling from very close to the green.

It relates more to missed greens than it does putting.

But it means that his (sometimes suspect) short game was good.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator

Oh man. If you chose Rory Sabbatini to win the U.S. Open, I'd rethink your bets.

Rory Sabbatini to win the U.S. Open:   120:1

Rory Sabbatini to commit murder/suicide by the 27th hole: 50:1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post

I watched the morning drive today on TGC. And Bubba called in on the phone. They talked about how he felt for the US Open. He didn't even sound confident, acknowledged that he hasn't played much since the Masters.

Then they talked about an incident last week during the memorial. Him and his wife were coming home late 11pm from some charity concert or something. And some car was following him. So they drove around for like 45 min, and then the strange car finally gave up and left. Strange he didn't even call the police to report it. But if he had the General Lee, he could have smoked em lost them quick.

In any case, I don't think Bubba even makes the cut, he's just sounds like he's just not into it right now. His focus is still his family right now.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/7999404/masters-champ-bubba-watson-late-night-car-chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerputt View Post

Nice.

Brandon

I heard it was Roscoe P. Coltrane following him and Bubba'a wife is better with the bow and dynamite.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'm an accountant/controller by trade, so I'm handy with a 10-key.  I'll give it a try.

I ran each side both times and got the same results each time, so I'm sure it's accurate even though that data was difficult to read because of the spacing:

Mickelson 2099

Woods 2086

I'm a former actuary and I'm pretty handy with a computer and Excel so I checked you that way and I agree with  your numbers.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Here's a nice tour of Olympic, with comments on each hole by Ken Venturi: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/06/08/SP001OJP1D.DTL&type;=printable

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I heard somebody last week (probably Tiger) say that it may be the toughest opening 6 hole stretch in any Major, ever.

Brandon

i think that going to be the theme of the tournament

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 4341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!