IGNORED

How adamant are you about enforcing the rules of golf on yourself, and others in your group?

mosnas
Note: This thread is 4288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mosnas

Not sure if this belonged here but after reading so much about rules I was wondering how you guys handle breaches in rules.  Do you confront players if they broke a rule or do you just let it be and let them enjoy the round?

secondly to what point do you follow the rules when you golf on your own or with strangers?

I play by the rules, every time, all the time, but I don't push my philosophy on others unless playing in a competition.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to be rules stickler guy. It must have been a laugh riot to play with me as a beginner. Now I only worry about following the rules to the letter on my own ball unless we're in a competition. I occasionally played for money my first few seasons and learned that a lot of guys make up their own rules within their cliques then try to pass those off as official rules.

Common "rules" I've been accused of breaking:

- holding the flagstick while tapping in (2 strokes)

- borrowing a tee or using a cast off broken one (2 strokes)

- giving a yardage to the flag (2-strokes)

- teeing up so my feet are left of the left tee marker (re-tee or loss of hole)

- tapping in a chip with a bladed wedge / not marking (2 strokes)

- not taking relief when one of my feet was on a cart path (2-strokes)

- etcetera.

When I actually get to play enough holes to turn in a score it reflects my actual play on the course. I play pretty close to my index most rounds. I play to around .500 during league play because some guys step up in competition and some guys, like me, count all strokes so their index is accurate. If I either won or lost most of my matches then I'd say the system was not working.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I used to be rules stickler guy. It must have been a laugh riot to play with me as a beginner. Now I only worry about following the rules to the letter on my own ball unless we're in a competition. I occasionally played for money my first few seasons and learned that a lot of guys make up their own rules within their cliques then try to pass those off as official rules.

Common "rules" I've been accused of breaking:

- holding the flagstick while tapping in (2 strokes)

- borrowing a tee or using a cast off broken one (2 strokes)

- giving a yardage to the flag (2-strokes)

- teeing up so my feet are left of the left tee marker (re-tee or loss of hole)

- tapping in a chip with a bladed wedge / not marking (2 strokes)

- not taking relief when one of my feet was on a cart path (2-strokes)

- etcetera.

When I actually get to play enough holes to turn in a score it reflects my actual play on the course. I play pretty close to my index most rounds. I play to around .500 during league play because some guys step up in competition and some guys, like me, count all strokes so their index is accurate. If I either won or lost most of my matches then I'd say the system was not working.

I read your whole post and read it as "common "rules" I sometimes break" because that is kind of what everyone has posted. I was very confused but then realized those were the made up ones haha.

I try to follow all the rules, but I know in the interest of keeping play moving, I will break a ball out of bounds or lost rule.  If I think I have hit a ball OB, I will play a provisional, if I hit a ball deep into the woods I will play another ball from the tee and count my strokes as they are suppose to be.  All that being said, when you are on a public course with players breathing down your back, there is no time to go back and play a ball when you saw your ball bounce right next to that tree and can't find it.

I don't care if others play by there own rules, but personally, I don't take a mulligan, ever, and I always play my ball as it lies.  I'm sure I have broken rules, I'm not an expert on them, I'm sure I've taken drops from the cart path in the wrong place or from a water hazard but in general I intend to follow the rules.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I try to play the rules of golf, but much like "golfing dad" and "sean miller" I adapt for the type of game.  I tend to be prickly about the rules when money is on the line, however.  I've got a regular playing partner that will always ask me what club I hit in to a par 3, or will set up WAY beyond the 2 club length back border of a tee marker to gain an advantage, and I have to admit it irks me to no end.

I don't really mind if you want to take a 'breakfast ball', fix your fairway lie, or pick up your 6 foot bogey putt, but if we're competing, I expect you to play by the rules.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

I don't take a mulligan, ever, and I always play my ball as it lies.  I'm sure I have broken rules, I'm not an expert on them, I'm sure I've taken drops from the cart path in the wrong place or from a water hazard but in general I intend to follow the rules.

I am much the same way.  It is funny where you think you know your handicap... then you follow all the rules and watch that sucker balloon upwards.  My biggest issues about "rules" is finding the dreaded closest point of relief.  Or how to take relief from GUR, drain, or sprinkler head.  Hell, some of the pros even need the rules official to get clarification on where to drop.

While I love golf and do my best to play by all the rules, I am sure that I have broken plenty in my 18 months of serious golf.  I do not care what others do... unless it is a tourney or there is money on the line.

I agree for the most part with golfingdad. I won't take a mulligan but I definitely agree with the ob. I'm not going all the way back on a casual round. If it were a sanctioned tournament, obviously. The only thing that bugs me is when I play by the rules and the person I am playing with takes mulligans, rolls the ball, big gimmies, etc. then brags to everyone after that he beat me.

Driver: Taylormade R11 Aldila NV 75

4W: Taylormade R9

3/4H: Taylormade Burner 19* 22*

5-AW: Taylormade RBZ

W: Cleveland Tour Action 588 56* 60*

Putter: Callaway White Ice 2 Ball Lined

What other people do doesn't bother me and I'm not into being the group marshall. Worrying about things like that would take me out of my game. My concern is playing the best I can and I follow the rules the best I can but it's not practical sometimes. Some things can't be avoided, the afore mentioned OB problem isn't reality when you have a group behind you waiting. Sometimes courtesy trumps the rules.

Dave :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I play the ball down and play by the rules period. As a matter of course I don't rake puts or take gimmies. As far as the OB or possible lost ball I play a provisional ball after declaring it unless the local course has a lateral rule. I find it amusing how many golfers can't make a two foot put in tournament play because they never putt them in casual rounds. Same goes for playing out of divots and footprints in bunkers. As far as what other players do in a casual round I don't care as long as it doesn't affect the course. RAKE  THE DAMN BUNKER AND FIX BALL MARKS!

However if we are playing in a tournament or playing for money (i don't care if it's $50 or$0.50) you will follow the rules. Everyone of them, and yes I do have a copy of the current rule book in my bag. You don't want to know how fast I'll call a rules violation on you in match play.

• 4 weeks later...

I typically follow the rules to the best of my knowledge.  Once in awhile if I hit a ball and think it's in play but can't find it I'll just drop and take the penalties instead of walking back like most people.

However, if we're playing for drinks/money or anything else... then we all better be on the same rule page.  Though I'll gladly accept the "1 breakfast ball on the tee per 9" rule if agreed upon.

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

Originally Posted by lhshurdl3r

I typically follow the rules to the best of my knowledge.

However, if we're playing for drinks/money or anything else... then we all better be on the same rule page.  Though I'll gladly accept the "1 breakfast ball on the tee per 9" rule if agreed upon.

Where's that in the rule book??

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Somewhere in my left pocket, gimme a minute I'll find it.

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

I'll be playing as a single tomorrow and teeing off before anyone else.  I'll play by the rules for scoring but once I'm a couple of holes ahead I may hit a second ball or ten for practice, but the first ball on every hole is the one that goes on the card.

I never enforce rules for someone I'm playing with (unless we're competing against one another). The only times I don't follow the rules are if I've decided before the round that I'm not going to (and I don't post those scores, of course, if I even keep score). This is usually when I'm playing with my dad or sister or friends (each of which happens only a few times a year).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't understand, it's a 2 stroke penalty if I find a broken tee to use instead of a nice new one?

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

Originally Posted by Bastid

I don't understand, it's a 2 stroke penalty if I find a broken tee to use instead of a nice new one?

I'm assuming you are responding to Sean?  No, he was listing a bunch of "rules" (i.e. NOT) that guys he played with used to try and claim.

I agree with a lot of you in that I could care less what rules my buddies follow unless we are playing for money. I try to follow the rules as best I can. The one I take a pass on a lot is when I think I can find my ball but can not. Tough to look for 5 mins. then walk back to the tee without backing courses up. I have always thought the USGA should have a competative rules of golf and a recreational rules of golf which are more practical and user friendly. Just my 2 cents.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Originally Posted by Bo the Golfer

I agree with a lot of you in that I could care less what rules my buddies follow unless we are playing for money. I try to follow the rules as best I can. The one I take a pass on a lot is when I think I can find my ball but can not. Tough to look for 5 mins. then walk back to the tee without backing courses up. I have always thought the USGA should have a competative rules of golf and a recreational rules of golf which are more practical and user friendly. Just my 2 cents.

The competitive rules are called the Rules of Golf. The other ones are called "not playing by the Rules of Golf but not too many other people on the course today are either so who cares?!?"

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!